Toyota Tundra vs Chevy Silverado?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: Dumc87
Originally Posted By: TheKracken
If you plan to keep the vehicle a very long time and don't plan to tow all that often I would go with the Tundra. It has lots of power, will basically last forever with minimal preventive maintenance and it has a great tow rating along with a good payload. Even if I had to tow on a daily basis I would get a tundra....unless I was towing close to the max most of those days.

I don't currently have anything to tow, and I see the tow rating max is around 10,000 lbs for a 2012 with a 5.7L which I figure is plenty for towing the 300ZX if/when the time came to do that.

Generally-you can't tow the maximum towing capacity with a half-ton. You RUN OUT OF PAYLOAD FIRST. FYI.

Suppose this would be a good read Difference between Payload and Towing Weight

Ah yikes! So towing a car, I may eventually need a diesel. Tundra Crewmax weighing ~7,000 lbs with a tow capacity of ~10,000 leaves about 3,000 for payload. Which would be kind of hard considering the Z is around 3,100 lbs. Hmm...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TheKracken
If you plan to keep the vehicle a very long time and don't plan to tow all that often I would go with the Tundra. It has lots of power, will basically last forever with minimal preventive maintenance and it has a great tow rating along with a good payload. Even if I had to tow on a daily basis I would get a tundra....unless I was towing close to the max most of those days.

I don't currently have anything to tow, and I see the tow rating max is around 10,000 lbs for a 2012 with a 5.7L which I figure is plenty for towing the 300ZX if/when the time came to do that.

Generally-you can't tow the maximum towing capacity with a half-ton. You RUN OUT OF PAYLOAD FIRST. FYI.

Ah yikes! So towing a car, I may eventually need a diesel. Tundra Crewmax weighing ~7,000 lbs with a tow capacity of ~10,000 leaves about 3,000 for payload. Which would be kind of hard considering the Z is around 3,100 lbs. Hmm...

There is a yellow and white door sticker in the door jam on the driver's side in all half-ton trucks. In addition to the tire sizes-it has something printed as follows-"the passengers and any cargo for this vehicle shall not exceed 0000. That's your payload. It takes the guesswork out. I highly doubt the Tundra has a 3,000 pound payload. It's probably no more than 1,500 pounds.

https://www.toyota.com/tundra/features/weights_capacities/8240/8252/8275

Understanding weight when towing-

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-tow-vehicles-understand.shtml

Last edited:

Depends on the configuration. The big #'s are advertised with the maximum towing packages which are different than the "tow package". And they often need to be special ordered.

I know on my F150 SuperCrew Lariat with the max tow package I've got 1800 (and a little more) lbs of payload on the sticker on the door. Max tow capacity is 11,000 lbs. 10% tongue is 1100 lbs, so leaves plenty for passengers. It was a rare find used and most on the lots have less payload but if you are going new just order what you want.

Yes, I tow close to the limits and it does great.

Fun fact - check lots of boxes (diesel) on a F250 or 2500 and you will end up with less payload than a "heavy" 1/2 ton.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: itguy08

Depends on the configuration. The big #'s are advertised with the maximum towing packages which are different than the "tow package". And they often need to be special ordered.

I know on my F150 SuperCrew Lariat with the max tow package I've got 1800 (and a little more) lbs of payload on the sticker on the door. Max tow capacity is 11,000 lbs. 10% tongue is 1100 lbs, so leaves plenty for passengers. It was a rare find used and most on the lots have less payload but if you are going new just order what you want.

Yes, I tow close to the limits and it does great.

Fun fact - check lots of boxes on a F250 or 2500 and you will end up with less payload than a "heavy" 1/2 ton.

I understand that. That's why I mentioned "Generally". As a matter of fact-it's most cases. But I respect your reply. Unlike many of the posts above-I can tell you are familiar with what the OP is asking.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I don't intend on towing anything heavy, but I may find myself wanting to tow my 300ZX once the restoration is complete, but that won't be for years at my current rate of progess.

You can always tow it to my house and leave it in my driveway for me as a really nice gift
laugh.gif

Haha! Well it's in pretty rough shape. I have more boxes of parts, old and new, that need to be installed than I have installed on the car itself. I did drive it a bit down some back roads though. Man, I miss how the VG sounds through the Specialty Z exhaust!

What thats weigh...3000-4000 lbs max?

Stick with a gasser 1/2 ton. Heck even a mid sized SUV or a minivan can pull that much.

NO......NO.....No!

You're doing the math wrong.

Payload is what is carried by the vehicle - people, cargo, trailer tongue weight. It's different than tow ratings.

When you load up a trailer most of the weight will be carried by the trailer's axes. What is carried by the truck is the tongue weight. Generally you want tongue to be 10-15% of the total trailer weight.

So in your scenario for example:

Car trailer - 1500 lbs
300zx - 3100 lbs
Extra stuff in trailer - 500 lbs
Trailer total - 5100 lbs

Tongue weight should be in the neighborhood of 510-765 lbs. That means weight distributing hitch - add 75lbs for that for a total tongue of 585-840 lbs.

So you will have:
Payload - 1500 lbs (guessing - a tundra has nowhere near 3000lbs payload - that's F350 territory)
Trailer tongue, worst case - 840lbs
1500-840=915 lbs left for passengers, junk in the bed, etc.

Last edited:

I understand that. That's why I mentioned "Generally". As a matter of fact-it's most cases. But I respect your reply. Unlike many of the posts above-I can tell you are familiar with what the OP is asking.

Yup. The unicorns are out there as are the lighter duty 3/4 tons. The best thing for the OP is to lean what the #'s mean and how they all relate and look at the yellow payload sticker . Once you have that you can work the #'s to figure what you can tow.

Last edited:

Yup. The unicorns are out there as are the lighter duty 3/4 tons. The best thing for the OP is to lean what the #'s mean and how they all relate and look at the yellow payload sticker . Once you have that you can work the #'s to figure what you can tow.

+1000%

I don't think a Tundra weighs 7,000 pounds, My 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax weighs about that much with a 1/2 tank of fuel & me in it.

Hi Randy,

Are you still in Michigan? Since it says "somewhere" for your location now.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger

I don't think a Tundra weighs 7,000 pounds, My 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax weighs about that much with a 1/2 tank of fuel & me in it.

The payload on new ones are around 1,600 pounds. That's the number that matters.

Payload is important. My trailer has a tongue weight of about 750lbs loaded. That eats up a bunch of payload once you are loaded with everything for camping. It is Why I went with the 3/4 ton gasser. Has a nice cushion of payload.

You might want to verify the payload/tow rating isn't based off a Single cab, regular bed, 2WD truck.

Payload adds up quick when you start adding a bunch of stuff.

So looks like I'd need to check specifically what the truck is rated, not go by off what I read online?

This is all news to me and I'm more than happy to learn something new! It's why I frequent this site
laugh.gif

So looks like I'd need to check specifically what the truck is rated, not go by off what I read online?

This is all news to me and I'm more than happy to learn something new! It's why I frequent this site
laugh.gif

Yeah - what is online is the best case scenario and it all depends on how that particular truck is optioned. They vary widely. There are some "trucks" with 800 lbs or so of payload (Looking at you Ram EcoDiesel) that are less than many cars!

Take a look at the yellow payload sticker and go from there. Make up a spreadsheet listing the weights of the truck, trailer, cargo, etc and have it do the math for you. It can be overwhelming but once you understand the #'s and how it all works it makes sense.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Originally Posted By: glock19
Kind of an odd comparison. It sounds like you don't need the diesel, so maybe try comparing a Silverado 1500 to the Tundra.

Chevy with a 6.2L, isn't that an LS2 or LS3?

Current truck 6.2 is an L86 and is LT1 based.

Mine is an L9h and is basically an L92 that can run E85...which is based on the LS2. Current truck is indeed an L86 based on LT1.

Toyotas just have too high of resale value to consider buying. Same thing with Diesels in the year range you specified. I recently bought a cheap 2500 6.0 gas truck that does everything except get good mileage. Comparable Tundras were double the price and duramaxes were 3x the price. Thanks to the lighter gas engine and no 4x4 it has a high payload of 3700lb and a low curb weight of 5500lb. The downside is an average of 12mpg in mixed driving. Anything that needs to be replaced is super cheap and easy to find.

I would like to upgrade to a 6.2l gas GM truck someday but they are spendy!

Originally Posted By: dareo
Toyotas just have too high of resale value to consider buying. Same thing with Diesels in the year range you specified. I recently bought a cheap 2500 6.0 gas truck that does everything except get good mileage. Comparable Tundras were double the price and duramaxes were 3x the price. Thanks to the lighter gas engine and no 4x4 it has a high payload of 3700lb and a low curb weight of 5500lb. The downside is an average of 12mpg in mixed driving. Anything that needs to be replaced is super cheap and easy to find.

I would like to upgrade to a 6.2l gas GM truck someday but they are spendy!

What did you pay for your truck? This isn't anything I expect to find in the immediate future, probably within 6-8 months. Trying to do all my research beforehand and hopefully have about $2k on top of trading in either the Jeep or figuring out how I can use the Matrix toward the truck.

I paid 6k last year. Utah is not the place to try and sell a 2wd truck! It was dirty, needed brakes wheels tires but i have it really nice for under 8k and Nada retail is 13k so im happy. Heated leather seats and all the SLT goodies. Expensive to fuel it but i only use it once a week or less. I think ive put 3k on it in a year, now has 190k. I got it for the deal but i really do like it.

Forgot the biggest reason i chose my truck over others. The owner used mobil 1 oil and had a recent UOA from blackstone labs with the paperwork.

Originally Posted By: dareo
Forgot the biggest reason i chose my truck over others. The owner used mobil 1 oil and had a recent UOA from blackstone labs with the paperwork.

LOL well how could you pass it up?

I'd love to keep the Jeep, the Z and the G20... but I can really use a truck. I need a multi-car garage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back