Toyota Tundra vs Chevy Silverado?

Status
Not open for further replies.
All I can say is I'm very happy with my 2011 Tundra Double Cab 4wd. The 5.7 is plenty competent and can get reasonable mileage if you keep your foot out of it.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff

If you have to have a diesel get the 07 Silverado 2500HD Classic with the LBZ engine. More HP & torque and no DEF, soot box, etc.

The 2006 GMC/Chevy also had the LBZ.....Identical to the 2007 Classic. I don't know if you ever noticed on the '07 Classic you had, But......ALL of the 2007 LBZ's where actually manufactured in 2006 & the emissions sticker on the air cleaner will say 2006, Any diesel engine manufactured after 1/1/07 had to have a DPF, The LMM installed in the GMT900 pick-ups are almost identical to the LBZ besides the DPF & are easily "deleted"

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: Dumc87
I don't intend on towing anything heavy, but I may find myself wanting to tow my 300ZX once the restoration is complete, but that won't be for years at my current rate of progess.

You can always tow it to my house and leave it in my driveway for me as a really nice gift
laugh.gif

Haha! Well it's in pretty rough shape. I have more boxes of parts, old and new, that need to be installed than I have installed on the car itself. I did drive it a bit down some back roads though. Man, I miss how the VG sounds through the Specialty Z exhaust!

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Merk, the irony is I stumbled across a Tundra Crewmax while searching Nissan Titans LOL

OK well..........I didn't want you to buy something and then kick yourself for forgetting about the Nissan Titan..........

I was stoked when Cummins and Nissan struck a deal together, but I haven't read many favorable reviews of the 5.0 Cummins in the Titan XD. Now I find myself more drawn toward the Tundra Crewmax 5.7L than I did the 4-door Titan with the 5.6L.

The much anticipated release of the 5.0 Cummins in the Nissan seems to have fallen somewhat flat. You don't hear much about them either good or bad. Maybe no news is good news, hard to say. The emissions fiasco on new diesels has pretty much ruined that segment for me. Injectors are outrageous expensive, emissions parts fail or are used up requiring replacement, I'd have a hard time getting behind a new diesel for daily driver use outside of warranty. It certainly makes me miss the 12V P-7100 pump Cummins I used to own.

I have towed for years with an 02 2500HD gasser. If you are going to be towing over 10,000lbs frequently you will appreciate the diesel. If you are going to tow less a gasser is fine. My trailer is around 7400lbs loaded. I have towed with a Tundra and my 3/4 ton, I will tell you stability is the difference between the two. The 3/4 ton has larger everything and does not get pushed around by the trailer, it just flat weighs more and has a better frame and larger rearend. Having said that the Tundra is capable but you can never be over trucked.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
The much anticipated release of the 5.0 Cummins in the Nissan seems to have fallen somewhat flat. You don't hear much about them either good or bad. Maybe no news is good news, hard to say. The emissions fiasco on new diesels has pretty much ruined that segment for me. Injectors are outrageous expensive, emissions parts fail or are used up requiring replacement, I'd have a hard time getting behind a new diesel for daily driver use outside of warranty. It certainly makes me miss the 12V P-7100 pump Cummins I used to own.

Good friend recently purchased a new Titam XD with the Cummins. It is a nice truck and he has already started towing some with it. Said it handles his camper much better than his previous 1/2 ton Titan. The only thing I've heard him say is the truck is using more DEF fluid than what he was told it would/should use.

I would NOT buy a new diesel truck unless you tow heavy loads every single day. New emissions equipment has made these trucks extremely expensive to own and maintain. Don't count on "just deleting it" either because many states are increasing their regulations and emissions equipment checks. The emissions parts are very expensive to replace, they make the trucks get worse fuel economy, and the engines won't last as long. Combine that with the higher initial purchase price and it does not make financial sense. Diesel trucks have jumped the shark, and there is a reason many of the fleets here have switched back to gasoline pickups, or older pre-emissions diesels.

Originally Posted By: klt1986
Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3

Good friend recently purchased a new Titam XD with the Cummins. It is a nice truck and he has already started towing some with it. Said it handles his camper much better than his previous 1/2 ton Titan. The only thing I've heard him say is the truck is using more DEF fluid than what he was told it would/should use.

This has been mentioned in several reviews I have read.

Kind of an odd comparison. It sounds like you don't need the diesel, so maybe try comparing a Silverado 1500 to the Tundra.

Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Why not the 6.0 gas in the 2500HD if you have to have a 3/4 ton? More direct comparison. There are some Silverado 1500s out there with a 6.0 but they're kinda rare.

That Tundra has a ton of legroom in the back, too much really. Seems like wasted space. I looked at Tundras hard but would have to go back 2 years and add 30-40K compared to a similarly priced Silverado.

If you have to have a diesel get the 07 Silverado 2500HD Classic with the LBZ engine. More HP & torque and no DEF, soot box, etc.

More rare than Unicorns......

...or go for the Silverado 1500 with the 6.2L! I LOVE MINE!

Originally Posted By: glock19
Kind of an odd comparison. It sounds like you don't need the diesel, so maybe try comparing a Silverado 1500 to the Tundra.

Very odd comparison, I agree lol
The thing is, I've always wanted a diesel BUT the Tundra seems to offer everything I could use and then some, plus IMO looks way better; the Crewmax version that is.

I figured this would be an odd enough topic to see what some of you BITOG'ers thought about it.

Chevy with a 6.2L, isn't that an LS2 or LS3?

If you plan to keep the vehicle a very long time and don't plan to tow all that often I would go with the Tundra. It has lots of power, will basically last forever with minimal preventive maintenance and it has a great tow rating along with a good payload. Even if I had to tow on a daily basis I would get a tundra....unless I was towing close to the max most of those days.

Originally Posted By: glock19

Chevy with a 6.2L, isn't that an LS2 or LS3?

Current truck 6.2 is an L86 and is LT1 based.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I don't intend on towing anything heavy, but I may find myself wanting to tow my 300ZX once the restoration is complete, but that won't be for years at my current rate of progess.

You can always tow it to my house and leave it in my driveway for me as a really nice gift
laugh.gif

Haha! Well it's in pretty rough shape. I have more boxes of parts, old and new, that need to be installed than I have installed on the car itself. I did drive it a bit down some back roads though. Man, I miss how the VG sounds through the Specialty Z exhaust!

What thats weigh...3000-4000 lbs max?

Stick with a gasser 1/2 ton. Heck even a mid sized SUV or a minivan can pull that much.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TheKracken
If you plan to keep the vehicle a very long time and don't plan to tow all that often I would go with the Tundra. It has lots of power, will basically last forever with minimal preventive maintenance and it has a great tow rating along with a good payload. Even if I had to tow on a daily basis I would get a tundra....unless I was towing close to the max most of those days.

I don't currently have anything to tow, and I see the tow rating max is around 10,000 lbs for a 2012 with a 5.7L which I figure is plenty for towing the 300ZX if/when the time came to do that.

Originally Posted By: TheKracken

I don't currently have anything to tow, and I see the tow rating max is around 10,000 lbs for a 2012 with a 5.7L which I figure is plenty for towing the 300ZX if/when the time came to do that.

Generally-you can't tow the maximum towing capacity with a half-ton. You RUN OUT OF PAYLOAD FIRST. FYI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back