Toyota FIPG 103 - Expiration’s date?

This is my first time buying Toyota FIPG. I grabbed a tube from my local Toyota dealership and wanted to ask (to those of you who might know) if this is an old tube or new? The expiration date of 10/2024 seems kinda soon.. Any input would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_5277.jpeg
    IMG_5277.jpeg
    79.9 KB · Views: 27
Yeah it’s common. Use it for what you need and chuck it if you’re not doing lots of work.

Here’s what we got from the dealer when working on my brother’s FJZ80 in October 2022:

68875601526__713D7A94-B9D4-475F-BADE-F13B7DD65A43.jpeg

It seems that fresh stock is important. I thought it was good for a year, seems yours was made in January or June.

Last edited:
I typically have to buy a new tube every time I need to use FIPG. Just because the last time I opened one, this previously opened tube has expired. I will on occasion use an expired tube if it's a non-critical application that isn't a PITA to get too. It's on my personal vehicle so I'm not going to lose sleep in doing this.

In a previous life, I worked around a lot of materials that had expiration dates that were strictly adhered to; epoxies, thread lockers, spray coatings and lubricants, etc. There was a regular audit and "purge" of these materials. After the collection, I used to pick out the thread lockers/primers, Dow-Corning greases and o-rings for use at home.

I always found it asinine that the day before the expiration date the material was good, but not good the day after.

Expiration dates are to sell product. If it has thickened and not as pliable then I'd not use it.
How many auto parts places are tossing that sort of product that doesn't sell?

Expiration dates are to sell product. If it has thickened and not as pliable then I'd not use it.
How many auto parts places are tossing that sort of product that doesn't sell?
This. Either it has thickened too much, or it hasn't. I wouldn't hesitate to use a tube of sealant marked expired a decade ago, but much past the date, I'd put a test smear on something to see if it sets up, keeping mind whether it needs metal and aerobic vs anaerobic, moisture, etc per type of goop, to set.

Back