Toyota coolant any good? Alternatives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MaximaGuy
The pink coolant is a no anything, no amines, no phosphate, no silicate and any other no that can be thought off...

but it is more acidic per se' than its previous yota red coolant. i was told that if your car specs yota red then do not use the pink bc of the seal compatibality difference in the two.. whether or not that is true i am not sure. a few yota techs told me when i asked. they work at different shops. if you guys disagree with this statement then please post proof that it is wrong

Add me to the list of possible DexCool casualties. On 10/21/05 my 2000 Tundra with 106K miles was serviced with bulk DexCool by my local shop (only used Toyota Red before). At 139K the water pump was replaced due to a small leak during a timing belt change (I planned to change the pump anyway though). Immediately following the timing belt change, the radiator developed a leak and had to be replaced. At 143K, the thermostat housing developed a small leak through the seal. I replaced the entire manifold before the housing and the thermostat too. Coincidence? Maybe, but I took the truck to Toyota and had them hook up their flush machine and replaced the DexCool with Toyota Long Life Red on Friday. I'm hoping that I caught it before any more components start leaking. If I have a headgasket or intake manifold gasket start to fail now, I'm going to get very depressed.

Thank you BITOG'ers for alerting me to this DexCool incompatabilty issue!

BTW, the Red looks like it needs to be mixed with water. What kind of water is best to use? I have very hard tap water, BRITA filtered water pitcher (for drinking), and distilled water on hand.

Last edited:
I've been using Green Anti-Freeze coolant in my 1997 Toyota 4Runner for quite some time. The shop manual and specifications call for an anti freeze/ Coolant that contains Ethylene Glycol. That's what I've been using with no problems at all.

My Toyota came with the Red back in 1997 and the coolant has been replaced and flushed out numerous times.

From my understanding ALL Toyota Matrix/Pontiac Vibes come off the exact same assembly line. They are ALL filled with Toyota PINK. I have never seen one filled with orange DEXCOOL. Unless it was done after at a Pontiac dealership. I have 2008 Vibe and it is bright PINK coolant. I also own an 06 Lucerne with Dexcool in it, so I know what the both of them look like.My daughter has a 2002 Prizm/Corolla with TOYOTA RED, and my other daughters 97 Geo prizm/corolla has Universal Global lifetime Peak GOLD in it for the last 6 years we have used it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back