Toyota 6 speed transmissions

Originally Posted by edyvw

Do not understand this? I changed fluid and filter in my Sienna at 68k, in Tiguan at 60k, and any other previous vehicle around 60k if it had automatic transmission. Actually ZF specifically recommends for fluid to be changed (not flushed) with pan/filter between 60 and 75k.

Some new vehicles today (not yours) have lifetime tranny fluid per the manufacturer. Subaru Outback CVT trannies for one are just that, at least since the 2014 model year.

Originally Posted by mjk
Hello,

I picked up a 2011 Avalon the other week. While reading up afterwords, I realized that these have the dipstick - less transmissions. There is a long video out there:

Transmission inspection/drain/fill

The process to do a check, drain, etc. is ridiculous. What are other owners doing - going to a dealer, or a trusted transmission shop to do this?

Any feedback is appreciated. Thank you.

One other thing - there is no such thing as a 'lifetime' fill, is there? It seems like they designed it to make this whole process a headache to the owner....

That procedure is for a level check when the trans is hot.

There is a separate (and more common) procedure for adjust the fluid level when the trans is cold. Adjusting the fluid level when cold does not require the special tool.

Thank you for the responses, I have been off for a few days.

Is the WS fluid available only at dealers? I am not seeing it in many locations doing a quick search.

Lastly, does WS fluid have a suitable replacement (i.e. Maxlife), or is WS what should be used exclusively ?

Originally Posted by mjk
Thank you for the responses, I have been off for a few days.

Is the WS fluid available only at dealers? I am not seeing it in many locations doing a quick search.

Lastly, does WS fluid have a suitable replacement (i.e. Maxlife), or is WS what should be used exclusively ?

I use this product:

[Linked Image]

The oil-club analysis went beyond the $40 UOA and seemed to confirm that this product is likely to be a copy of the genuine fluid.

https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&nv=1&pto=aue&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&sp=nmt4&tl=en&u=https://www.oil-club.ru/forum/topic/28529-idemitsu-atf-type-tls-lv-svezhee/&usg=ALkJrhga3fmYLS39fHIGiKUQweMIiQjJWA

Back