Toyota 3.5 2GR-FE oil

What do you recommend for normal or extended OCI? If it's a "quiet" oil that might be a bonus due to this engines known tappy valvetrain.

Ours 2GR-FE is sitting just over 220k and got mostly plain M1 5w30 roughly 90% of the time, and occasionally other on-sale synthetics (QSUD or PP) at intervals anywhere from ~5k (when short-tripped in winter) to 10k (highway trips), probably 7-8k on average. It doesn't use any (appreciable) amount of oil, certainly not more than a couple ounces over 10k (it stays right at the full mark even up to 10k), has no leaks, despite not using HM oil, and the oil stays clean for any interval we've run. I doubt the results would've been different if we'd run Supertech or anything else - these are solid engines. I'd vote for whatever you can get a reliably good deal on.

Basically asking the same question in multiple threads eh? Best thing you can do is replace the VVT screen filters, PCV, change your oil every 6,000km and use 5W30 full synthetic. If it is ticking so bad that it is causing you issue, then pull the heads and have them rebuilt.

what year motor? is it direct injected? if yes its noisy when going through cleaning when it also has the multi port combo /direct injection. I can get Toyota 0-20 for 3.87 to 4.00 dollar a qt. That's all I use in my Fj 4.0 eng and my 2018 Highlander. Mac

Mostly M1 HM or EP driven 30 miles per day and changed once a year. Usually get about 8500 miles a year before changing oil and filter. This is a 2005 Toyota Avalon XL with the 3.5L 2GR-FE engine.

Basically asking the same question in multiple threads eh? Best thing you can do is replace the VVT screen filters, PCV, change your oil every 6,000km and use 5W30 full synthetic. If it is ticking so bad that it is causing you issue, then pull the heads and have them rebuilt.
I was asking mechanical advice in the appropriate forum, and here oil advice, also in the appropriate forum. :) Thank you again

what year motor? is it direct injected? if yes its noisy when going through cleaning when it also has the multi port combo /direct injection. I can get Toyota 0-20 for 3.87 to 4.00 dollar a qt. That's all I use in my Fj 4.0 eng and my 2018 Highlander. Mac
It's a 13' with port injection. I don't believe they went to direct injection until 16' or 17'.

I was asking mechanical advice in the appropriate forum, and here oil advice, also in the appropriate forum. :) Thank you again
Well if it solely for the purpose of a normal or extended interval and not related whatsoever to ticking in the 2GR-FE to quieten them down, then based on my experience owning serveral 2GR-FE powered AWD Venza's then I would stay with a normal interval and synthetic. I run 5W30 in the chilly months here in The Great White North and 10W30 in the horrid summers. QSUD is my go to, but will switch to PUP when my QSUD stash has been depleted. Fram Ultra is my go to oil filter, but Tough Guards on my shelves when they have been depleted as well.

From what I have read, that is a characteristic of Toyota engine.
A lot of them goes all the way to 500,000 miles even with tapping noise.
It will get noisier as it gets older.
I would not worry about it until it just break and not running anymore. LOL!!!

I posted this elsewhere here but switching to Chevron Supreme 5W30 synth blend totally stopped the cold start tick in my '08 RAV4 3.5l. It can sit for weeks and have a silent cold start. With Amalie regular 5W30 it always ticked for a few seconds.

I have the 09 Lexus RX 350 3.5L 2GR FE. A few users highly recommended QSUD 5W30 or 10W 30 in summer months. Been running Castrol Edge Extended 5W 30 for the last year and last OCI Edge 0W 40 and have put 50k on the vehicle since last June. Switched to QSUD 10W 30 about 2 weeks ago on last OCI with a Fram Ultra Synthetic 20k filter. I am absolutely loving how quiet this oil runs. (Has a good ppm of moly in it.) QSUD difficult to find at any Walmart in 5W 30 grade right now. 10W 30 if you are lucky, and an abundance of QSUD 5W 40. All the other QS weights and synthetics. No prob. I'm doing OCI's every 5k now. But i think you could easily get 7.5k highway out of this oil.

Back