Toxic Tooth-Root Canal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I had one molar that was highly prone to abscesses.
I had one that I thought would pass of its own accord with the body's immune response, as had happened in the past.
This thing ended up being unbelievably painful, waking me in the middle of the night. I found that passing cool water over it relieved the pain, but doing this continually for a few hours while swallowing the water had me needing to urinate about every ten minutes.
Anyway, got an emergency appointment with the dentist that morning and he drained the abscess and applied topical antibiotics and all was well. He also told me that the tooth was a liability and needed to be yanked. I dreaded the thought of this but made an appointment to have it done the following week.
The extraction was fairly painless, although my dentist tells me that I have a high tolerance for pain. Who would know better?
Anyway, no more abscesses.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Was that abscess from not flossing regularly ?

Frequently they are from cracked teeth, or teeth shift over time, and blood supply gets reduced and the pulp can get necrotic. An untreated cavity or leaky filling as well.

Last edited:
An infected tooth can be miserable, and even deadly if left untreated. In June, 1999, I was assigned to an ad hoc personnel cell at Yakima Training Center assisting with arrival processing of the Washington Army National Guard's largest unit, a mechanized brigade. One soldier in a brigade unit was in serious pain from an infected tooth. Fortunately, an USAR dental detachment was doing their annual training at YTC that week, and had staffed a small dental clinic. The soldier luckily gets into the dental clinic within a few hours of arriving at YTC. I say lucky because there normally was no dental support at YTC for units performing annual training. Lucky because the USAR dentist (unit commander, an O-6) took one look at the guy, headed straight into our small personnel shop and insisted the soldier be sent to a civilian hospital, or airlifted to Madigan AMC immediately. Lucky because the USAAAD at YTC (still called "Yakima Dustoff") had two UH-60s available, and he was soon on his way across the mountains in one.

The dentist attended our late evening debrief, and explained the soldier had a severe infection, and was close to a sepsis event. He thought the guy was maybe 48 hours away from being dead, if the tooth had been left untreated. The soldier came back through our office after several days at Madigan, and said they initially were using IV antibiotics. He looked a lot better than when he left. (Don't recall if they pulled the tooth, or saved it.)

My grandfather who was born in the early 1880's was a very lucky bloke..
For a visual he looked exactly like Colonel Sanders and was a mean old cuss....
He drank way too much and made vine at his farm amongst other booze.

He had three sets of natural teeth and new ones ( 4th set) started coming in when he died at age 74
His teeth were so tough he opened bottles with them. None broke but they would get pushed out just like when you get your adult teeth. Of course I haven't been as lucky yet. My dad died in his 80's and had all of his teeth too but no new ones.

I had a root canal in 2010. My dentist is great but she doesn't try to do these herself and sends patients to an endodontist. I appreciate her knowing her limitations. I was a little frightened going in but it really wasn't that bad, they were very fast and efficient.

I thought I was going to need another root canal last month so I went to the endodontist again but he thinks I just need to have my existing crown replaced. Interestingly, the diagnosis tools have gotten much better over the last 7 years and they now have a dental specialty 3D CT scanner. I sat for a scan and it was able to produce a 3D image of the area that one could rotate on any axis. It was really cool and I could see that my roots appeared to be in good shape.

On another interesting note, my mom told me her teeth would hurt when she was getting a sinus infection. Sure enough after my tooth started hurting I caught a bad cold. By the time I had my endodontist appointment my cold had mostly subsided and my tooth felt fine, but I still wanted to go ahead and get it checked out.

Thankfully all I have is one small filling in my mouth...no other issues. My dentist doesn't even want to see me twice a year, he says once a year is plenty for me, unlike the rest of my family.

I watched an endodontist do a root canal in one of my kids' mouths, it was a sight to behold. It took 4 visits to complete the process, and the autistic teenager got through it unscathed.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
The extraction was fairly painless, although my dentist tells me that I have a high tolerance for pain. Who would know better?

The one tooth I had pulled was totally painless. Dentist numbed the area around the tooth really good and I didn't feel a thing. Quick, easy, and painless, I was in and out of the office in about 20 minutes. He gave me a prescription for some pain meds but I never took them because I never had any pain at all from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back