Tow Truck Driver Forgot to Disengage 4x4

Owen Lucas

$100 Site Donor 2023
Saw a tire tread on the highway on a rainy March day which I thought was strange.

Then I come across this flat bed towing a partially disassembled GMC Colorado on the wheel lift with 4x4 engaged. We were going about 70 mph.

The dashcam doesn't capture the sparks coming off the what was probably the exposed belts at this point. I honked at the truck and pointed to the back, he pulled over quickly.

My wife leased cars a few decades ago. One Audi 5000 was repossessed by a tow truck driver who lifted the rear and towed the car backwards not knowing the car was front wheel drive.
Pulled it 200+ miles.

The auto transmission was found to pretty much be melted down in the bottom of the case.

Hopefully the truck owner becomes aware of this video and gets compensation for what obviously will be damage not just to the tires but all the driveline parts.
I don't remember if the front clip was disassembled or not since the left fender was removed but it makes be wonder if there was a heavy frontal collision. Maybe it was totaled and on it's way to the auction or a repair shop. At that point, unless those parts are completely broken, no one will know what they went through when auctioned off or patched up by an unscrupulous used car dealer.

Last edited:
Years ago I worked at a shop and a customer had a Honda Accord towed in. The tow truck was the old style and not a flat bed like we see now. The car was towed across town backwards with the front wheels on the ground while in a forward gear.

Scattered the engine by turning it backwards for miles.

Then we have my old boss that flat towed his wrangler in 1st gear behind his motorhome @60+ mph. That one blew up in spectacular fashion. Even stuffed all 12 pushrods out the valve cover.

Thing looked like a porky pine.

Back