"Total" engine oil???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Danh
My Honda dealer uses Total syn as its bulk oil, so good enough but certainly not exotic.

They do have some racing oils actually, and also Aero Oils.
A Full Synthetic 10W-50 "Racing" oil and a i assume Mineral 15W-50 / 20W-60 Aero oil.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Aren't they like the sixth largest oil company in the world?

Fourth Largest apparently.

I'm just surprised some people on a web site like this apparently don't know who Total is. I don't use their products or live in the EU, but if you're familiar with the big global players it's almost akin to asking if you know anything about Royal Dutch Shell.

I've seen it lots of times at 'Ultramar' gas stations up here.

Seems decently priced, just never bothered to buy it...might try it someday!

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
They are certainly trying to enter the US market. They bought up a lot of Texaco stations in the Caribbean and are trying to get market share in vehicle and industrial lubes.

Back in the late 60s/early 70s Total gasoline was sold in Michigan and they advertised it as "the international gasoline".
Not sure if the first OPEC crisis knocked them out or not.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Pronounced Toe-Tal.
About 15 years ago one of the divisions in my company won a multi-million dollar contract to work with Toe-TAL. Listening to the engineers correcting everyone who pronounced it Toe-tul (with emphasis on the first syllable) had to be one of the stupidest things I have witnessed in my tenure.

With that said, Total has a few plants in the petrochem part of Houston and I would guess elsewhere in the US. Their oil is very popular in the EU, but I cannot recall ever seeing a bottle of it in any of the 49 states I have visited.

Hmmm. Maybe that explains something. A few years ago, an F1 commentator used to continually refer to Sebastian Vettel as Ve-TEL on the air, back in the Red Bull days when Total was a sponsor of them. Perhaps the commentator got corrected by a Total rep and used this as a back handed response.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back