Torque wrench arrived with 40ft*lbs setting

Status
Not open for further replies.
If this is your nature about things, then you should only buy a quality wrench. Maybe consider a Precision Instruments split beam style that does not need to be turned down to its lowest setting. Otherwise, you will always have buyer's remorse.

Another option is to track down a Snap-on truck and kindly ask the owner if he would test your wrench on his calibration checker. You can't expect him to spend time on you without compensation.

I'd be more inclined to trust if it came from a reputable manufacturer... what brand is it?

Personally I don't see the reason to buy cheap torque wrenches... if precision is what your after, then it rarely comes cheap. If my only interest was securing wheels, then I'd be okay with a HF based on some results I've seen. However a quality, lifetime, torque wrench can be had for $100-150 from CDI or PI.

Originally Posted By: bmwpowere36m3
I'd be more inclined to trust if it came from a reputable manufacturer... what brand is it?

Personally I don't see the reason to buy cheap torque wrenches... if precision is what your after, then it rarely comes cheap. If my only interest was securing wheels, then I'd be okay with a HF based on some results I've seen. However a quality, lifetime, torque wrench can be had for $100-150 from CDI or PI.

See, I told you so :-(

Don't get me wrong, I understand what I'm paying for and I don't expect spectacular accuracy from the tool that cost 40$. But, there's a certain level of expectations that I have. If they state the wrench is accurate +- 4% - then it should be. If they say the wrench needs to be kept at the lowest setting and they expect me to do so - I sure will. But I also expect them to ship the tool in a lowest torque setting which obviously not the case. Again, there's a chance nothing wrong with it. But I have no measures to adequately verify it neither I want to. I'm paying them to have it done so I can use the end product. Hope this makes and I don't sound like a little whiny b...ch.

I'm after certain level precision which is guaranteed by the manufacturer. In this particular case - Tacklife. If they want me to keep the tool at the lowest setting when not in use, I expect them to do the same and not have it stored for over 6 months at 30% setting. Hope this makes sense

Many years ago, like 34, I worked in a marine engine shop on Long island with four or five guys including me building engines. We all had a few torque wrenches. One day, my boss had two of his spring type torque wrenches calibrated. I have mostly split beam. For some reason, someone had a double female socket. I guess it was a 1/2" drive 1/2" square socket now that I think about it. What he would do was after he got his back freshly calibrated, he'd put two wrenches head to head with that socket and check them against each other.
Worked pretty well.
I've had two of my Snap on wrenches for so long, they have the old on-off heads on them even though they're for tightening only. I've had them checked a few times and they always came back ok. These two wrenches are 35 years old or so and haven't needed calibration.

Original wrench has been returned and Tekton has been purchased instead. Arrived this afternoon and sure enough set at lowest setting. #ocdissatisfiedfornow

The disturbing thing I learned about torque wrenches regards how inaccurate the whole torque measuring process is using them. Study a few engineering sites that delve into torque accuracy using a torque wrench and the consensus is that the results can be about +/- 28%. Factors that can affect torque include fastener material, thread quality, thread cleanliness (burrs,finish smoothness, oil/contaminants, user error, etc.).

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
The disturbing thing I learned about torque wrenches regards how inaccurate the whole torque measuring process is using them. Study a few engineering sites that delve into torque accuracy using a torque wrench and the consensus is that the results can be about +/- 28%. Factors that can affect torque include fastener material, thread quality, thread cleanliness (burrs,finish smoothness, oil/contaminants, user error, etc.).

That's a great point, and we worry about a few inch or foot pounds. In some instances I think it is the consistency from one fastener to another that matters more than the inch or foot pound reading as long as you aren't grossly over or under torqued.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
4% is not really accurate...

Depends on the torque value you're setting fasteners at. If you need 25 ft/lbs, 4% is only 1 ft/lb variation while if you need 150 ft/lbs, you could end up between 144-156 ft/lbs.

Originally Posted By: hallstevenson
4% is not really accurate...

Depends on the torque value you're setting fasteners at. If you need 25 ft/lbs, 4% is only 1 ft/lb variation while if you need 150 ft/lbs, you could end up between 144-156 ft/lbs.

You really did NOT mean what you just wrote, at least I hope so!

How does a 4% tolerance, using that number for an example, work ? I was only doing the math.

4% is not really accurate, so I doubt it will get much worse by leaving it at 40#.

4% is pretty standard for clickers... some are 2%. Electronic (strain gauge) ones are more accurate. Ultimately the process of achieving bolt preload/tension using torque is inherently "inaccurate". For that reason, when tension is critical other methods are applied.

A torque wrench is more about consistency in the "ball-park"

Clicker torque wrenches have huge variations. I got a digital torque meter and found the direction using the wrench (vertical vs horizontal) speed, smoothness all have a significant effect of torque. Clicker style are just not precise under normal use. Probably don’t need to be for most applications. Snap on Torq o meter. Dead on every time but a pain to use unless you have open space.

Originally Posted By: parshisa
Original wrench has been returned and Tekton has been purchased instead. Arrived this afternoon and sure enough set at lowest setting. #ocdissatisfiedfornow

My Tekton came from Amazon 50 ft-lb off. It was garbage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back