Topsider parts?

I have used this a few times but came to the realization I prefer putting the vehicle on the lift and dropping the oil the old fashioned way. Gives me a chance to do an inspection. Anyhoo, needed to change the oil/filter on daughters Tiguan and my lift was tied up so I figured I would use my topsider. Couldn't get a vacuum to happen. Turns out the seal on the vacuum pump to can has turned to mush and quit working. Last time I used it was on a friends Honda more than a year ago. Went online to get a replacement seal....no such luck. I suppose I can attempt to build my own but the lazy in me disagrees with this verdict. Anyone know who sells parts for this thing? May turn it into a lawnmower gas can otherwise.

This Topsider?

61kHW7hpO3L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Bought one 40 years ago but haven't used it in 20 since going to a pneumatic MityVac. It's still great for storing 2 oil changes and then taking it to the collection station.

That's the one. I have a regular wheeled shop drain with 20 gallon capacity I normally use.

I have used this a few times but came to the realization I prefer putting the vehicle on the lift and dropping the oil the old fashioned way. Gives me a chance to do an inspection. Anyhoo, needed to change the oil/filter on daughters Tiguan and my lift was tied up so I figured I would use my topsider. Couldn't get a vacuum to happen. Turns out the seal on the vacuum pump to can has turned to mush and quit working. Last time I used it was on a friends Honda more than a year ago. Went online to get a replacement seal....no such luck. I suppose I can attempt to build my own but the lazy in me disagrees with this verdict. Anyone know who sells parts for this thing? May turn it into a lawnmower gas can otherwise.
Did you try contacting the manufacturer? I had one of these before I got rid of it and iirc the manual mentioned replacement parts were available but it has been years.

I'll post my standard answer first, "McMaster Carr".
But $91.90! That's expensive.
Get one of these @ WalMart for about $40.00:
20200224_090246.jpg

Did you try contacting the manufacturer? I had one of these before I got rid of it and iirc the manual mentioned replacement parts were available but it has been years.

I looked for it all over the net yesterday. The company that builds/services the top sider has changed hands a couple times. I will check again later with the latest owner.

Reactions: D60
yes, turned to slime.
I’ve heard of that happening before, on occasion. It appears to be the Achilles Heel of the Topsider. You can try wrapping a couple of turns of (White) Teflon tape around the threads of the container, making the connection between the pump and the handle snugger. I’ve seen people have success with that.

How do you carry it to the dump? That must be over 100 pounds.
I pump it into 5 gallon cans and give it to my friend with a waste oil boiler every 6 months or so.

Attachments

• 20231017_154647_resized.jpg
    20231017_154647_resized.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 20231017_154655_resized.jpg
    20231017_154655_resized.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 4
What about parts from an old-school tire pump? The ones that looked and worked like a pogo stick? Mechanism looks a lot like one, maybe the seals would interchange?

Back