TopDon Scanner - can it do what I want?

I purchased this for $400 as it has some sort of coupon: https://amzn.to/3twz4Q1

I hope it can do what I want. On the Volt there is a setting that if you press down on the unlock button on the key fob it rolls down all the windows. I HATE this feature as many people online report coming back to their car and finding all the windows down because they hit the button by accident. The car can apparently be taken to the dealer to have this feature disabled BUT I refuse to pay them the outrageous amount they want for that.

Can this scanner do that? If not I will cancel my order. Obviously this is not the only reason I am buying this scanner but the fact that it would already 2/3 pay for itself on this alone is a major reason I was willing to spend the money on it.

Thanks.

I feel you dont need to do this function.

One touch window has to do with pinch protection and knowing the limits of up and down. This feature often gets disable when changing batteries on a car and often needs to be reset.

I would unplug the motor or use the one touch all the time on a paper towel roll to hopefully throw off the upper and lower limits.

I feel you dont need to do this function.

One touch window has to do with pinch protection and knowing the limits of up and down. This feature often gets disable when changing batteries on a car and often needs to be reset.

I would unplug the motor or use the one touch all the time on a paper towel roll to hopefully throw off the upper and lower limits.
that's not what OP is talking about....

the feature they're mentioning... my Ford has it too... I press the unlock button, then press and hold and they all roll down after 30 sec or so... Ford calls it "Global Down" I can enable/disable with Forscan,but sadly it doesn't have "global up"... i have to roll them up individually... (it comes in handy to cool the car off in the summer... roll all the windows down while I'm walking towards the car... lets the furnace air out...

Op... Sadly i'm not familiar with the software you mentioned... never even heard of it... sorry...

same feature on many hondas . many people have come back to a car full of water. and honda has no way to disable it on older models. it can be disabled now on new models

that's not what OP is talking about....

the feature they're mentioning... my Ford has it too... I press the unlock button, then press and hold and they all roll down after 30 sec or so... Ford calls it "Global Down" I can enable/disable with Forscan,but sadly it doesn't have "global up"... i have to roll them up individually... (it comes in handy to cool the car off in the summer... roll all the windows down while I'm walking towards the car... lets the furnace air out...

Op... Sadly i'm not familiar with the software you mentioned... never even heard of it... sorry...
Oh snap... that feature!

Rolling down has no liability, but rolling up remotely could kill someone. Hence by default roll up is not enabled. I enabled roll-up on my VW but I don't think there is a way to disable this.

The information on the scanner claims that it has the capability to access hidden features so it's possible that is does this. It might be a simple click or unclick in the BCM I'd guess. My Xtool D8 seems to do everything the factory tool does and even uses the same wording as found in the factory service manual. This Top Don model likely does as well. These Chinese bi-directional scan tools are popping up all over the place and they're an incredibly good value. I have an old Actron OBD-II reader from the 1990's that I paid over $250 for. It won't even work on a canbus vehicle today. The price of that Top Don is incredible. The 7" screen will be a bit of a pain but I suppose you'll get used to it.

listed features:

31 Maintenance Services: i.e. Oil Reset, SAS, EBP, BMS Reset, ABS Bleeding, Immobilizer, Sunroof Reset, Suspension Reset, TPMS Reset, ADBLUE, Throttle Adaptation, Power Blance, Intelligent Cruise control System, ECU coding to enable and disable hidden features, suitable for home technicians.

From the first review it shows for me:

"However, before making a purchase I contacted a tech support agent to make sure the tool would do what I needed it to do for my particular vehicle. The response from tech support was prompt and helpful, as was a follow-up phone call with tech support to help explain some of the tool’s features once I received the unit."

And
"What could be improved:
User manual is very basic and doesn’t explain how to get to many functions. However, tech support is easily accessible by phone if you get stumped"

At the risk of running into the weeds, this market is a bit fascinating to me as it evolves.

You get two years of free updates and then it's $250 they say. But if we assume sales/promotions hold steady then years three and four total $500 or maybe you could just buy the latest unit for $400 again and get another two years......

of course this assumes one must update every year, which many of us on the forum wouldn't.

At the risk of running into the weeds, this market is a bit fascinating to me as it evolves.

You get two years of free updates and then it's $250 they say. But if we assume sales/promotions hold steady then years three and four total $500 or maybe you could just buy the latest unit for $400 again and get another two years......

of course this assumes one must update every year, which many of us on the forum wouldn't.

Right, in this case, paying for updates doesn't make sense, because in two years an updated model with a better processor, fresh battery, etc. will be available. I do not intend to buy any updates. Two years gets me to the end of 2025. So it won't do advanced functions on 2025+ cars, by then it will have paid for itself many times over and I'm not too worried.

Reactions: D60
I actually like this feature, but seldom use it - let the really hot air out to replace it with just hot air before you enter the car. :whistle:

The Lexus has this feature; it rolls down all the windows and opens the moonroof after pressing and holding the unlock button. Release the FOB button and the glass panels stop. It also does this if you insert the key in the door and hold it in the unlock position.

In 16 years of ownership, I have yet to return to the car to find the windows rolled down. It's not a press and release and they roll down. I have to make the conscious effort to press and hold the button down.

My frame of reference is a 25 year old car, but the only way to modify or disable this function is with a hand held tester (Toyota-speak) that has Toyota-specific functionality. Might be the same with your Volt.

Back