Top-off and TBN bump

Very hypothetical question here brothers! Let’s say I have a 5 qt sump. I’m down one quart and top off with fresh oil. How much of a bump in TBN will the total volume see?

I could be mistaken but maybe the calc could be approx this
if bottle of original oil had 8TBN and the bottle is 5 quarts then that means approx 1.5 ish tbn per quart.

So replenishing 1 quart could give me approx 1.5 ish of tbn ?

prob not the correct calc but it makes sense to me

Nobody can really answer that, TBN is not 100% consistent throughout any manufacturer there will always be minor differences between bottles I do not care what manufacturer it is, you can see for yourself from all of the VOA's available.

You could get an approximate number though.

With that being said TBN doesn't really matter that much and it does not give you the full picture on how well an oil is performing.

Thanks brothers for your responses! I love this community. Learn something new everyday

Not sure why one member is extremely bitter and continues to follow my posts though. It does kinda make me feel like a celebrity tho :)

Anyway, onwards and upwards!

Very hypothetical question here brothers! Let’s say I have a 5 qt sump. I’m down one quart and top off with fresh oil. How much of a bump in TBN will the total volume see?

Here is what u do, take a sample before you add the oil, spend whatever for a UOA and TBN Test, send it in and wait for the results.

Add your quart of oil, run it for whatever long you want to run it, take a sample and send it in. I do not know if you can just get a TBN Test, but from my calculations, which will be off, I think if you spend about $90.00 you will get your answer.

Theoretically, the bump would be 20% of the new oil's BN. The condition of the sump oil could impact the BN of the new oil. If the sump oil still has a BN its impact on the new oil should be minimal.

Thanks brothers for your responses! I love this community. Learn something new everyday

Not sure why one member is extremely bitter and continues to follow my posts though. It does kinda make me feel like a celebrity tho :)

Anyway, onwards and upwards!
Some of the members here are like that lol. If they call you a troll you're doing something right

Back