Top 10: Which vehicles will last 200,000 miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't get your panties in a bunch old pal, there's no confounding here.

Originally Posted By: gofast182

Sure, a Panther is every bit as reliable as an Accord, maybe even more reliable, but the fact is those cars were not selling very poorly *to regular consumers* for years. And the ones that were sold into fleet duty often have different ways of re-entering the used car market.

Not maybe,a Panther is demonstrably more durable than a FWD unibody Accord although that's not the issue. Why should they or any other 200K+ mile car (GM B body, even Camrys) be exempt from consideration? Because if they didn't filter with the "sold from dealers" metric, the Accord wouldnt be the only car on the list? So they're selecting data and presenting it out of context with the help of some [sponsored] journalist/publication using data from your given contracted firm? Is that it?

Bottom line is, to me, it's undeniably the usual "Power of Psychology" bit again. I throw up in my mouth a little bit everytime some (any) corporate entity start peddling stupid and irrelevant economic data as though that affects my motoring or (car) ownership experience. I get exponentially offended with each repeat offence. How about peddling the actual objective merits of the product, instead of subjective suggestions about the brand.

Still don't see what the problem is? Let me ask you, what is any average consumer supposed to glean from such tripe?
"OH WOW, HONDA ACCORD IS SO DURABLE IT RUNS WITH ALL THE BIG TRUCKS AND SUVS" "IF YOU WANT YOUR CAR TO LAST LIKE A TRUCK, YOU WANT AN ACCORD" "ACCORD IS THE MOST LIKELY TO LAST 200k MILES" "ACCORD HAS HIGHER DEALER-TO-FLEET SALES RATIO, THEREFORE IT'S WHAT CONSUMERS LIKE YOU REALLY WANT" lol garbage!!!

It's all deception by SUGGESTION (the intention and basis of effective maketing) by way of caveat-ridden, selective data.

Volumetrically speaking, Camry easily outsells Accord any week in USA, but oh no... because Toyota (or anyone else) sells fleet, they don't make the list- they're less likely to last 200K....because they're not on the list. Wut?

Also, mind explaining this Honda logic "We don't sell to fleets, our cars are too good for that- we profit more per unit off the backs of consumers who are paying sticker premiums to "license" our Holy H badge" and how I'm supposed to respect that. What utter moronic arrogance that I could never reward with my money.

Honda Motor (America) needs to get their collective head out of their butt and pipe down on the brainwashing, and perhaps focus on getting back to their roots--- you know like the 80's when the investments went to the engineering house rather than marketing psych, PR/brand perception,sponsorships and management performance incentives. I would love to see that happen in my lifetime.

Originally Posted By: hypervish
Originally Posted By: jrustles

Apparently, along with several others here, you're having trouble with the article. They aren't predicting which cars ultimately last longest. They're presenting data from a very large sample

One country? Not large enough.
From '81 to 2010? Are these model years, or have they been gathering data from 81 to 2010?? Does anyone know?

Such a misleading, meaningless article. They buy your credibility by listing trucks and SUVs that everyone knows rack up the miles and stay on the market longest, and then inject one car model, like a little ad for Honda.

Like I said, leave the country, and you'll be hard pressed to find an Accord anywhere let alone one with 200K. You likely see 25 200+ K Toyota's before spotting an Accord to be honest.

With such arbitrary metrics, one could easily spin it like this: "maybe less people are selling their high mile Camrys, Impalas, Panthers etc. Maybe more people are willing to sell a Honda Accord after 200K." And considering how many other models trump Accords in real fleet sales, sold by their respective fleet departments, it really doesn't add up. Isn't the used car market flooded with high mile 200K plus fleeters "diminishing brand value"? Why was the accord the only one listed?

Because it's a lot of horse-hockey, that's why.
"Top 10: Which vehicles will last 200,000 miles?"
Like, what is that,a guarantee?
lol.gif

Also, way to completely avoid the Honda fleet sales corruption issue. You didnt even acknowledge that it was posted in here.
wink.gif

You hit the nail on the head!

Clearly gofast182 has a large bias for Honda, as can easily be seen by his posts and his signature.

I do have a pro-Honda bias, sure. But if one has their eyes open they'll see that jrustles has a anti-Honda bias and is on the edge of kook-ville with all of the subject changing and conspiracy theories.
If the stats. bore Camry as #12 (I'd imagine it was right behind Accord) I suspect he wouldn't be here with all this nonsense against Toyota, because every automaker but Honda is somehow pious.
Is the premise perfect? No. But statistically, with a sample like that, there IS something to it; like it or not. Back to the venerable Panther, it didn't sell well to consumers for the last several years of its life and the fleet vehicles aren't often sold back to consumers through 'normal' channels. Like them or not, everything else on the list is a proven reliable vehicle and they sold a pile of each all the way through the data period.
Its not hard to see the article for what it is rather than getting [censored] off because you expect it to be the bible.

Originally Posted By: hypervish

You hit the nail on the head!

Clearly gofast182 has a large bias for Honda, as can easily be seen by his posts and his signature.

I do have a pro-Honda bias, sure. But if one has their eyes open they'll see that jrustles has a anti-Honda bias and is on the edge of kook-ville with all of the subject changing and conspiracy theories.
If the stats. bore Camry as #12 (I'd imagine it was right behind Accord) I suspect he wouldn't be here with all this nonsense against Toyota, because every automaker but Honda is somehow pious.

We've owned a handful of Hondas, our extended family has owned a few Hondas/Acuras from DA Integras (the popup light era, when Honda/Acura were great honest vehicles) up to my uncles recently sold '01 burnt orange NSX. I've built several Hondas and I've lived through their "Change" from roots/values to downright sellout corporate chicanery of the highest degree. I'm not anti-Honda, I'm a disillusioned fan. OUR first family car (In my life) was a 81 Civic wagon- and I remember how sad I was when it was written off. So stop with the projection.

Quote:
there IS something to it; like it or not.

This is the crux of the issue. There is something to it, just that something is marketing deception not worth a [censored] (ie misleading advert tripe hiding behind a veil of statistical science)

Quote:
Back to the venerable Panther, it didn't sell well to consumers for the last several years of its life and the fleet vehicles aren't often sold back to consumers through 'normal' channels. Like them or not, everything else on the list is a proven reliable vehicle and they sold a pile of each all the way through the data period.

The data period from 1981? You mean Panther based vehicles (for eg) all stopped selling to consumers after 1981 and were mostly sold to fleets instead---- since 1981?????

Quote:

Its not hard to see the article for what it is rather than getting [censored] off because you expect it to be the bible.

Exactly. We agree on this. So you know why one could be irritated when someone shouts it from the mountaintops, right?
smile.gif

11.gif

PS - all of the Hondas in our family have never clocked 360K KMS/200K miles, the closest was a 93 H23 Prelude and a 91 D15 Civic (both just short of 300K KMs). Our only vehicles to do so were 2 Toyotas (92 Celica/97 Camry and a 89 Mazda B2200 - all having comfortably exceeded 200K Mi/360K KM into the mid 400KM's at least.

Last edited:
My last truck was a 1997 Chevy S-10 with the 2.2L I4, 5 speed, and it was fantastic. I consistently got 25MPG with Castrol 10-30 dino and whatever filter that was on sale (as long as it wasn't FRAM - call it superstition if you want). It went 193,000 miles, and I replaced the following from 1997-2007: alternator, water pump, batteries, 2x AC compressor before quitting, heater core started leaking so I bypassed it with some PVC in the engine baby and never ran the heater again, and the last issue was with the starter so I rigged up a toggle switch on the dash.

My next truck was a 2002 Mazda B3000. I have owned it from 77,000 miles to its current 187,000, and I've replaced the following while getting 19-22MPG using various forms of Castrol (highest MPG with the high mileage Castrol): radiator, thermostat, and one battery. It's been such a great truck, it really has been a wonderful ownership experience, and it's a sharp looking truck, too. When I got my new battery I tried the felt discs that you put on the battery posts, but that didn't keep away the corrosion. I then did the petroleum jelly trick and coated everything, and they look good just super clean and corrosion free.

Our 2008 Honda Civic went 116,000 before being traded in, and we replaced the following: 2x AC relays, power window wire harness that raises and lowers it the motor was fine, but the wire jumped off the strip so it got stuck in the down position...you guessed it, as it was about to start raining! We had one battery failure, but it was catastrophic and the car wouldn't even jump.

Last edited:
I own the two "worst" brands for perceived reliability.

One is over halfway to 200,000. The other is more than 3/4ths the way.

So much for that.

Originally Posted By: oldspice
My last truck was a 1997 Chevy S-10 with the 2.2L I4, 5 speed, and it was fantastic. I consistently got 25MPG with Castrol 10-30 dino and whatever filter that was on sale (as long as it wasn't FRAM - call it superstition if you want). It went 193,000 miles, and I replaced the following from 1997-2007: alternator, water pump, batteries, 2x AC compressor before quitting, heater core started leaking so I bypassed it with some PVC in the engine baby and never ran the heater again, and the last issue was with the starter so I rigged up a toggle switch on the dash.

My next truck was a 2002 Mazda B3000. I have owned it from 77,000 miles to its current 187,000, and I've replaced the following while getting 19-22MPG using various forms of Castrol (highest MPG with the high mileage Castrol): radiator, thermostat, and one battery. It's been such a great truck, it really has been a wonderful ownership experience, and it's a sharp looking truck, too. When I got my new battery I tried the felt discs that you put on the battery posts, but that didn't keep away the corrosion. I then did the petroleum jelly trick and coated everything, and they look good just super clean and corrosion free.

Our 2008 Honda Civic went 116,000 before being traded in, and we replaced the following: 2x AC relays, power window wire harness that raises and lowers it the motor was fine, but the wire jumped off the strip so it got stuck in the down position...you guessed it, as it was about to start raining! We had one battery failure, but it was catastrophic and the car wouldn't even jump.

Fram hater eh.
My girls windstar has almost 300k on it as of this week. For the past 200k it's gotten an orange can and whatever syn was on sale. I change it at 10k to keep it simple for myself.
The 3.8 doesn't consume any oil between changes however when we first got it it consumed 1 quart per 2000kms. I did an mmo piston soak as well as a few can of seafoam thru the brake booster and it quit drinking any oil,and that was 200000kms ago.
So I've got no problems running an orange can. Every engine I've used them on are still running or got crushed and they weren't using oil when they were cubed.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
I own the two "worst" brands for perceived reliability.

One is over halfway to 200,000. The other is more than 3/4ths the way.

So much for that.

Landrover?

My VW Jetta TDI was never destined to make 200K miles or even 100,000 miles. It's rapidly wearing camshaft, exploding flywheel (took out transmission) and electrical fires conspired to shorten that car's life dramatically. The price of repairs were the nails in the coffin.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Landrover?

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
Lancia?

Lada?

When I was working as a salesman at a Ford Dealership I took trade a F150 with a 4.6 in on trade that had 340k on it. And the service department showed me a V10 F250 that was over 600k on it and the owner had all the records on maintenance to prove it. Guy was on the rodeo circuit and drove it to kingdom come and back.

Highest mileage car I owned that did not kill off an engine or transmission was a 92 Riviera. Died at 275k miles when the trans died.

Originally Posted By: Mykl
Landrover?

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
Lancia?

Lada?
Yugo?

UAZ?

"UAZ'ed for it, you got it"

Originally Posted By: Cujet
My VW Jetta TDI was never destined to make 200K miles or even 100,000 miles. It's rapidly wearing camshaft, exploding flywheel (took out transmission) and electrical fires conspired to shorten that car's life dramatically. The price of repairs were the nails in the coffin.

Sounds like if you would have spent the GDP of Austria it might have made it.

It doesn't take much analysis to realize that the conclusions of the article are very poor. They lead us to believe that these top 10 models comprise the vehicles most likely to go 200k miles or more. Several problems with their conclusion.

1) Note that each car showed a percentage, that it represents of all the cars that they took data on, which had over 200k on the odometer. Add those up, and the top 10 comprises 31.2% of the 200k club. There is another 68.8% of 200k cars out there! That is significant. This would suggest that going 200k is not that rare, and is far from limited to thee 10 models.

2) Also note that the list is comprised of some of the highest production vehicles on the market. Even if the mileage of these cars is no more than equal with others, these cars would still make the top 10 list. Simple math. Either the article was intended to mislead us, or it was not put together by anyone with even the most basic understanding of statistics.

They make quite a point of the list being almost exclusively comprised of trucks and SUVs. No Duh! That is what most Americans buy these days. Pay attention to what is driving down the interstate next to you.

3) The data is entirely based upon the mileage on cars when they hit the used car lot. It doesn't appear to take into consideration that there may be many cars with 200k or more that are still in people's driveways. They make a critical assumption that what is in the used car lot is a fair sample. There may be some makes that owners tend to keep longer than others, thus decreasing the frequency that they would be seen on the used car lot.

I tend to agree with others. Given reasonable maintenance, there aren't many cars offered today, that wouldn't at least come close to 200k before they hit the bone yard. I'm driving an Alero as my commuter car. Almost 170k on it right now. Needs new shocks and struts, and an 02 sensor. Beyond that it is in very good shape, and will easily make 200k. And that is from a model that was never considered to be very reliable.

Last edited:
I bet a great deal of vehicles in the junkyards are only a few hundred dollars away from eeking out another 50kmiles.

Originally Posted By: BHopkins

1) Note that each car showed a percentage, that it represents of all the cars that they took data on, which had over 200k on the odometer. Add those up, and the top 10 comprises 31.2% of the 200k club. There is another 68.8% of 200k cars out there! That is significant. This would suggest that going 200k is not that rare, and is far from limited to thee 10 models.

I think you are reading the statistics wrong? Take for instance # 1 the f250 was at 4.3%. I believe it means that out of all the f250's on the market 4.3% were over 200k.
What i believe it does not mean was 4.3% of all 200k vehicles were f250's

Both interpretations have very different meanings.

Quote:
I think you are reading the statistics wrong? Take for instance # 1 the f250 was at 4.3%. I believe it means that out of all the f250's on the market 4.3% were over 200k.
Really? You need to explain this! I agree with BHopkins, he explained it very well.

Volkswagen claims to have more vehicles over 100,000 miles than any other manufacturer.

Calculation of total vehicles with over 100,000 miles per brand based on Wolfram Alpha (www.wolframalpha.com)
average mileage per year data and IHS Automotive: Polk global registrations in 49 countries, as of November 2013.

It doesn't clarify which 49 countries.

One of them is bound to be Mexico where you do not get rid of your "Vocho" until it can no longer be held together with Chicle and baling wire.

I sincerely doubt there are more Volkswagens in the US with over 100,000 miles than any other manufacturer. There are probably more F-series or C/Ks over 100,000 than there are all models of Volkswagen combined.

It seems you can fudge the details to make anything true.

Originally Posted By: caravanmike
Originally Posted By: BHopkins

Both interpretations have very different meanings.

Ah. You are right. I read that wrong the first time. Thanks for kindly pointing out my error.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back