Tool for drum brake adjuster spring

D60

I've got most specialty drum service tools known to man, but the lower spring that pulls the shoes to the adjuster is always a bit of a mystery.

Thus far I can always get it by locking onto it with needle nose vise grips and just muscling the hook into the shoe backer. Typically hooked spring pliers are too thick and just get in the way.

Still, my approach of "just grab and pull" --aside from describing a potentially fun Saturday night -- seems crude and relies heavily on the strength of the mekanik (or cave man in my case)

Is there a tool or method of which I am not aware that relies more on leverage (or something) rather than brute force?

Remember, I'm not inquiring about the upper springs or hold-down springs. Just the spring that runs horizontal and lives above or near the adjuster in most setups.

The objective is get a spring with a hooked end into a hole in a flat plate
20230312_114828.jpg

Close the adjuster, install the hold down pins then that lower spring. This guy has a good write up when I started 4 wheel drum brake jobs were the most common, no drama.

Just use a screwdriver.
Use one hand to stab a screwdriver through the spring's coils, and the other with a needle nose pliers (vise grips) on the spring's hook to route it through the shoe. Presto, now you're twice as strong.

Wear your safety glasses even if you never do. This stuff takes off.

I attach the back shoe (with the adjusting lever) using the retaining "nail", spring and retainer. Then the spring and adjuster in place on the front shoe and use the "nail" to attach the front shoe.
Then the top springs.

Reactions: D60
Those look like old Delco-Moraine brakes. I've only ever used a return spring and hold down spring tool to get shoes off.

Maybe I'm missing somthing; can't that bottom spring be removed this way?
  • Remove the return springs.
  • Remove the hold down springs.
  • Remove the adjuster ratchet arm and rod.
  • Disengage the shoes from the cylinder pins and pull the shoes from the backing plate (the rear shoe is still attached via the parking brake cable).
  • Hold both shoes and allow the top ends "fold" towards each other - the adjuster screw can now be removed.
  • Separate the shoes from the unloaded spring.

This Lisle brake tool works like your Vise-Grips; however, it is much easier to pull on the handle to stretch and guide the spring hook into the hole in the shoe. Depending on the diameter of the spring wire, the basic non-heavy duty version of the tool may work better for tight clearance situations.

1678832750302.png

Reactions: D60
On my Hyundai the adjuster is at the top. But I put the bottom spring together first. no tension easy peasy.

Back