Took the Rotella Plunge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well al, I did the change to Rotella T6 last night and the engine does feel a bit more cushioned than before. I do now think that Royal Purple is a bit thin for my engine. It just seems to feel a bit smoother, and less clacky. I will wait to get my UAI check before my final feelings will be reached but at this time, the engine feels happier and quieter, so I am so stoked I had to share. this forum has a way of changing a man to the point where a simple oil change can make you giddy. Its a wonderful thing!

Rotella is a fine oil you should be happy with it,what vehicle? you may want to fill out your sig so members know what you have.

A happier engine? We need more info. What kind of vehicle and engine do you have? How many miles on the engine? What has been and will be your OCI? What wt. was the RP? What wt. is the T6? We can't go by words like cushioned, feels, clacky, stoked, etc. This is BITOG, we need cold hard facts!
24.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1
A happier engine? We need more info. What kind of vehicle and engine do you have? How many miles on the engine? What has been and will be your OCI? What wt. was the RP? What wt. is the T6? We can't go by words like cushioned, feels, clacky, stoked, etc. This is BITOG, we need cold hard facts!
24.gif

One fact AFAIK, T6 only comes in 5w-40

Yup, T6 is 5W-40 only. For an engine that is ok with a 40, it's a good value. Of course, being that they don't have a 5W-30 or other lighter version (T5 10W-30 semi synth is the closest), it's not appropriate for all.

OP, what vehicle are you running it in?

According to his original thread, it's a 2008 Toyota Tacoma.

...ugh, I'm trying to CONVINCE my dad to let me use T6 in his engine. He shies away from full synthetic, though, and the 40 grade spec. Yet, at the same time, he claims his oil pressure gauge worries him(drops to 20 at idle after warming up).

Ok, OK... Sorry for the lack of proper info. It is in a Toyota Tacoma 2008 Double Cab Long bed, with the 4.0 V6 engine. the engine has had Mobil 1 5W-30 until 60,000 miles, then I switched to RP 5w-30 until this week when I went over to Rotella T6 5w-40 at 76,000 miles. So I ran the RP for about 16,000 miles. I will say that even with the Mobil1 the engine always has looked very clean (by looking into the filler cap, which lets you see into the valve cover some) I just thought the RP was not holding up well, and thats why I stated it felt clacky. I t did feel clacky and that was a just feeling as the engine is not nearly as clacky now, like I mentioned it feels cushioned! i have the last sample of RP 5w-30 ready to go to the Lab, as soon as i get around to it. i will also send out the first sample of T6 when I change it out. I am very happy I made this change, and I would not have had the information I wanted if it was not for BITOG! Thanks to all of the users here that provide samples and information for others to see. It was research I found here that helped me discover and decide to change to a new oil. I just had a problem with justifying the cost of the RP when there are other oils out there that will hold up to my OCI just fine and cost way less. My OCI by the way is 5k, I have been doing it for ever and will remain doing that. like I said I am stoked about the change and feel alot happier about the engine now.

Well I do not mean it is actually clacking, it felt clacky. Used to describe what it felt like to me. If it was clackling it would be getting repaired asap. More to state how thin the oil I was running felt to me. As if the oil film was not wuite enough or something.

Nice! I am beginning to feel the same way. My engine is much happier, I swear I would have never thought changing engine oil would have made this kind of difference. BUT I now know all oils are not created equal! Rotella T6 for life!!! I hope they dont get rid of it, but that would be my luck...

Originally Posted By: Wolfpack
Nice! I am beginning to feel the same way. My engine is much happier, I swear I would have never thought changing engine oil would have made this kind of difference. BUT I now know all oils are not created equal! Rotella T6 for life!!! I hope they dont get rid of it, but that would be my luck...

better stock up right now then. o'reilly's has gal jugs on sale for 17.99.

NOICE!! I will be hitting O'Reilly Friday then! I think my Dad found it for 17bucks in Indiana somewhere, cause when I spoke to him this week he said he found it at a place cheaper than Walmart. I thought he called the place Meirer?? not sure though. Thanks for the heads up on the sale though!

That's good! I'm not sure about my wal-mart at home, but the one up here I go to only stocks it in quarts, and for $6.50 a piece. Even $25 at AAP is a better deal ($6.25 /quart).

Originally Posted By: Craig in Canada
Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
Sometimes AAP will have T6 red-tagged down to $16-$18.

Man, it's $36 up here.

In the gallon jugs, right? I may be thinking of AAP pricing for T5. I'll re-check a few AAP locally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back