Tires and snow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Clevy
I like the new breed of snow tire,with the grooves cut into them to create a bigger contact patch.
I've got a set of kuhmo's on my hemi right now and in 2wd they are a nightmare to say the least. They look like they would be great in the mud though.
I'm buying a cheap set of rubber that I can stud,since I've discovered a decent set of 4 snow tires is unattainable for under 1200 bucks but I can get these no name studable ones for 600 for all 4.
For me I am concerned about stopping,and turning,and of course being able to avoid those people who think they can exceed the speed limit on frozen roads and still stop at red lights.
Deals can be had out there but there are always trade offs. The tires I have now look like they would be great in the summer and mud,but once they are frozen they just don't stick.

Those Kumho's sound like the OEM Goodyear Wrangler HP's so many Rams come with. My 08 Ram with those HP's was like driving on greased ball bearings if there was any kind of slippery wet agent on the ground even in 4WD. Heck, they were even slippery on dry pavement. Swapped them out for some good all season tires( Firestone Destination LE's )and my Ram did fine in the snow even in 2WD.

I put at least 2 Blizzacks on in the Winter. It's relatively cheap insurance. I know more than a few who have spun out of control only to meet their maker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back