Timing belt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toyota Camry
Last time I changed my timing belt @ 95K. At that time the belt was in a very good condition. But since I was in there I changed it anyways. Now owner manual calls for 60K after first change. It has been 75K after first change. And this car mostly has highway miles. Keeping last time in mind I am confused that Should I change it now? or should I wait another 5 to 10K miles?

I usually go to 70-80k on all my toyotas regardless of the type of miles. Many go more.

The cost of failure is pretty high, so if you are prone to nevousness, go ahead and change it now.

oops, my bad. it is a non-interference engine. i forgot.....thanx for the prompt, drew

Is your water pump connected to the timing belt? If so, it is about time for the water pump to go. I would change the belt, the water pump, and any bearings, and tensioners in there. But, that is just me, I like to replace the water pump before it fails.

quote:

Originally posted by Winston:
Is your water pump connected to the timing belt? If so, it is about time for the water pump to go. I would change the belt, the water pump, and any bearings, and tensioners in there. But, that is just me, I like to replace the water pump before it fails.

I also change everything in once along with new seals.

Last time when I changed it my brother has a place that I can work on my car with air tools. This time around I am stuck to my garage. Any one can give me a good idea of how to open my crank shaft wheel bolt without messing up TDC? One more thing, how do i drain cooling system real good before open up water pump.

There should be marks to indicate TDC, so after you remove the crankshaft pulley, turn it and the camshaft pulley so the marks line up. If the belt hasn't broken turning the engine over (before you remove the timing belt, obviously) and watching the pulleys should make it quite obvious where the marks are.

If the car is a manual you can put it in 5th gear and have someone apply the brake while you break the crankshaft bolt loose with a breaker bar.

If it isn't you either gotta use an impact wrench or figure out some way to keep the flywheel from turning..there might be a tool for this purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back