Timing belt broke. Interference Engine. Screwed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the engine will turn over by hand just pull the valve covers and see if the valves are all coming back up to their full height. If so chances are good that no damage was done. A bent valve will not close.

Thanks for the info guys. I really like the boroscope and valve cover inspection ideas. But I wonder how hard it would be to remove the rear bank valve cover. It was a big pain on my Solara. I am just wondering the aptitude of this Mechanic. Cause to me it seems like if the engine is broken, my coworker could get shafted. The mechanic can tell him, “sorry the car is broke, but you still need to pay me $900 for replacing the timing belt.”

Too bad for my coworker, but he had this coming. The guy is car ignorant. He just drives a car from point A and point B and knows next to nothing about cars. He bought it used like 60k miles for 6 grand. Never bothered to change the timing belt, because he doesn’t know what they are. The car has 110k miles now. The last car he drove had a cv joint snap in half because he never got the boot fixed. Some people. And he is an engineer...

Originally Posted By: BJD78
Broke a timing belt on a 94 Camry with 176K on it while going about 40 mph, had new belt installed and ran it for another 100K before finally trading it. It is not always an engine killer.
Wasn't an interference motor. 5S-FE is non-interference. I did the TB on mine and rotated the crank a couple of times without the belt. No issues.

Originally Posted By: Kurtatron
Too bad for my coworker, but he had this coming. The guy is car ignorant. He just drives a car from point A and point B and knows next to nothing about cars. He bought it used like 60k miles for 6 grand. Never bothered to change the timing belt, because he doesn’t know what they are. The car has 110k miles now. The last car he drove had a cv joint snap in half because he never got the boot fixed. Some people. And he is an engineer...

Maybe that is part of his plan. I've known people who just don't care. "Not worth their time", that sort of thing. If he got a few years out of it, it might amortize to some amount that he's ok with.

News came back. Mechanic reports that the engine is toast. The mechanic is now offering to find my coworker a used engine, and to install it for $2500. Seems like a reasonable deal to me, if not for the car. The Saturn is so nasty. My coworker is extremely uncaring about cars, so he might actually go forward with the repair and just try to extract another few years out of it. Do you guys think it is unwise financially to put the money into it? The rest of the car looks awful to me. Rusty quarter panels, disgusting interior filled with fast food wrappers and empty soda bottles. You can’t even use the back seats lol. I just wonder how much longer this car could last.

Last edited:
News came back. Mechanic reports that the engine is toast. The mechanic is now offering to find my coworker a used engine, and to install it for $2500. Seems like a reasonable deal to me, if not for the car. The Saturn is so nasty. My coworker is extremely uncaring about cars, so he might actually go forward with the repair and just try to extract another few years out of it. Do you guys think it is unwise financially to put the money into it? The rest of the car looks awful to me. Rusty quarter panels, disgusting interior filled with fast food wrappers and empty soda bottles. You can’t even use the back seats lol. I just wonder how much longer this car could last.

It is not smart financially to put $2500 into that car. It sounds like it is falling apart, and those engines are not known to be reliable. Swapping in a used one might put him in the same position a few months down the road.

I'd use the 2500 to find a good used Honda Civic, Accord or Toyota Corolla.

I thought Saturns could rot from underneath. Well, just like any other car, but with a spot or two extra.

I'd look underneath. Heavy rust, time to junk. Interiors can be cleaned.

But I'd think $2,500 for a motor, plus whatever else is apt to die over the next couple of years, would have me spending $4k or $5k for something else. I guess if he has zero regard then $2,500 is the cheapest option. But I'd move on if it was me.

If you punch that car into Nadaguide.com, prices come up as between $2100-$2700 on a trade in basis. If you go by the way insurance companies work, if the work required is more than 75-80% of book value, the car is considered totaled. In his case, it's the same thing, it's basically totaled. Probably worth a couple hundred to a scrap yard or maybe $1k to someone who can fix it in their own garage on craigslist. Time for him to move on and get another car. Have him read the owner's manual and the maintenance manual.

Thought I would update you guys. My coworker decided to scrap the car. He bought to replace it a 2012 Ford Focus. Immediately I thought what a bad choice. Don’t this things have bad transmissions? He got the automatic.

Thought I would update you guys. My coworker decided to scrap the car. He bought to replace it a 2012 Ford Focus. Immediately I thought what a bad choice. Don’t this things have bad transmissions? He got the automatic.

oh man, yep
mad.gif
We leased a 2013 focus with that transmission. Many problems. There was talk of a lawsuit or compensation for owners but I don't know what became of that.

Originally Posted By: Jimzz
That car uses the awful Saab motor. Many of them did not even make it to 60k on the original timing parts.

As said unless they love the car to death just dump it now. It bends valves very easily so I doubt its ok.

I was wondering how a GM car ended up with an interference engine.

Oh god. Can he return it and get the Saturn back and put an engine in it?
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Oh god. Can he return it and get the Saturn back and put an engine in it?
crackmeup2.gif

crackmeup2.gif

Some people you just can't help make good decisions. My advice would be to stay away from this guy for anything car related. He clearly does no research and you don't want to become somehow involved.

2 weeks later the mechanic tells my coworker the timing belt looks bad also. So he is going to replace that. The mechanic acknowledges the engine is an interference engine, but says he cannot verify if the engine is destroyed until he replaces the timing belt so he can check for compression. Does that seem right? Could the engine have survived really if the timing belt broke or maybe just slipped? Is there no way to verify the engine’s condition without installing a new timing belt?

The mechanic will either make money from the repair or offer to take it off his hands for him. Hopefully the mechanic isn't a scammer.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Originally Posted By: Jimzz
That car uses the awful Saab motor. Many of them did not even make it to 60k on the original timing parts.

As said unless they love the car to death just dump it now. It bends valves very easily so I doubt its ok.

I was wondering how a GM car ended up with an interference engine.

Saab/Holden/Cadillac V6. And in Europe, people tend to take better care of their cars for fear of bombing inspections.

This last summer I was shopping for used cars . Price wise , the Focus & the Fusion were attractive .

My wife can not drive a manual transmission , so an automatic is / was the only option .

I did a lot of reading about the Focus dual clutch transmission issues . I decided to stay away from them .

Ended up buying a nice , used low mileage 2006 Buick Lacrosse .

Best of luck , :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back