Time is up for Nexus 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
The latest version of Android software (beyond 7.0) will not be available for Nexus 6, although I assume security patches will continue.

Is the time for a Nexus 6 up?

it was released in 10-2014

so 2.5 years is a pretty good run.

Many phones get updates 6months or more after they come out... if ever.

Once security fixes stop coming over the air, it's time to either install a custom ROM or upgrade the device. Having an outdated smartphone is probably even worse than an obsolete Windows install for most people.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Once security fixes stop coming over the air, it's time to either install a custom ROM or upgrade the device. Having an outdated smartphone is probably even worse than an obsolete Windows install for most people.

+1

Considering most folks have their lives on it....

I've got PureNexus 7.1.1 and ElementalX running great on my Nexus 5. I don't think the time of the Nexus 6 is up, you just need to run root and get to work.

The limiting factor for both the 5 and 6 is going to be battery longevity, as the phones are getting on in age. Fortunately batteries in both are simple to replace and easy to find.

My Nexus 5X started going into boot-loop the other night. I had a power button I bought a while back, having read up on this issue and wanting to be prepared, so I soldered it on last night. Appeared to have been solved at first, but still started going into boot-loop the next day, unless I pop it in the freezer for a few minutes. Maybe it's the heat sensor, I have no idea. Either way, its time is definitely up and I'm waiting on my Samsung Galaxy S8, which I pre-ordered.

The Nexus 5 I had prior had a problem with the microphone, can't recall what I did exactly, but I had to press down on a contact close to the lens for it to work. That was when I upgraded to the 5X last February. The 5 I had since February '15. Hopefully the S8 will last me 2 years.

Google Policy: https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/4457705#nexus_devices

The Nexus 6 will get security patches until at least October 2017 (based on the Oct 2014 release date) or a year and a half after it stopped selling in the Google Store, whichever is longer.

Quick search says it stopped selling in the Google Store in December 2015, so the October 2017 should be the date to follow.

I did many upgrades on a Motorola Droid 2 to unlock the baseband and be able to use it's GSM portion in the USA. But it took a lot of my time and was not that much fun. I would rather be working on my boat or truck.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
My Nexus 5X started going into boot-loop the other night. I had a power button I bought a while back, having read up on this issue and wanting to be prepared, so I soldered it on last night. Appeared to have been solved at first, but still started going into boot-loop the next day, unless I pop it in the freezer for a few minutes. Maybe it's the heat sensor, I have no idea. Either way, its time is definitely up and I'm waiting on my Samsung Galaxy S8, which I pre-ordered.

The Nexus 5 I had prior had a problem with the microphone, can't recall what I did exactly, but I had to press down on a contact close to the lens for it to work. That was when I upgraded to the 5X last February. The 5 I had since February '15. Hopefully the S8 will last me 2 years.

Mines been doing great since the 7.1.2 update. I've been switching between my 5X and GS7 Edge as a DD. I have never had an LG boot loop, maybe I've gotten lucky. G2,4,5, Nexus 5X.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back