Tiger paw touring - 2/32 after 34,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Outside of the big trucks and vans my best mileage with single set of tyres was 57k km on front of my small, car based, fwd van. Obviously, these were Michelins.
So either we get very different tyres in terms of composition and requirements or we drive like idiots. I actually discussed this matter with some friends and all said that 40-45k km about as they got from their sets. We generally never rotate except front-rear when front wear out.

Last edited:
I have been through many tires and have found heavy fwd vehicles tend to wear faster than lighter cars or rwd cars. My Grand Marquis gets amazing miles on a set of tires but my sable eats them up. I had a different sable that would eat tires too. Generally about half the rated mileage on the tire. My Grand Marquis tends to go above the rated mileage and usually can go more when I decide to get new tires such as for improved winter traction. Tires are cheaper than wrecks.

I have also noted driving style makes a big difference. As others have said highway driving is gentle on tires while city driving is not. For some reason I find driving in Florida to be very hard on tires as well. It may be temperature or road composition but they seem to go faster in Florida than other states.

Back in 1988 my Grandpa bought a Oldsmobile Cutlass and had Uniroyal Tiger Paws...

The tires lasted 99k miles, and the tread was still not at the wear bars! Sidewalls aged, cracked and no longer safe. He was real gentle on cars, garage kept, avoided gravel roads, and if he had to drive on gravel he would drive less than 10mph.

Last edited:
Our odyssey is closing in on 30k and still has 7/32 on all four Michelin primacy tires. I'd say 60% city with the rest being road trips. You might want to look into upping the quality of your tires, or verifying that amortized over the miles, the cost savings is actually a reasonable deal for the uniroyals.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
First, tire wear is highly variable. Short trips really kills the wear. (Lots of turns. But long cdommutes get great wear.

In my testing I've had the same tire (make and model) go as little as 10K and as far as 100K - and the difference was the type of service (local delivery vs long distance delivery)

Second, I wonder if those tires were OE - which are not noted for their great wear or traction. The cost might indicate this (tires that didn't quite meet the OE specs, so they are sold to recoup whatever money they can.)
Thanks for the info CapriRacer, do you know about the effect of road surface on tires? Such as concrete highways like in California compared to the rubberized asphalt highways in Arizona?

Thanks

I know that road surface has a great effect on tire wear - although not as great as the amount of turns per mile.

I also know that even within a type (asphalt vs concrete), the aggregate has a very strong effect - stronger than the difference.

Sometime back I saw a map of the US with tire wear estimates. Sort of like a topographical map. Can't seem to find it, now.

So I think where you were going with this, isn't going to play out for you. There is likely a difference, but the factors that affect tire wear relative to road surface are too complex for a simple comparison of concrete in CA vs asphalt in AZ.

Not sure bit I have often thought grooved roads would be hard on tire life with some tires. Currently have Goodyear Comforteds and they seem to wander more than my old Integrity's did. This wandering is pulling and pushing the tread around more than a smooth road.

Originally Posted By: TmanP
A year and a half ago, I put a set of Uniroyal Tiger Paw tourings on the Sienna.
I did this hastily, with little research, because we needed the van to go on a trip the next day.
They were a 70,000 mile tire, and I read a few reviews that seemed ok. They ended up being $90 a piece, so not terrible but not cheap either.
It turns out that I must've gotten a bad set as they have horrendous dry traction and are even worse in the snow/ice.
(It's nearly impossible to take off from a stop sign where there is any grit/gravel/dust on the road and not break them loose.)
So, after looking back through my records, I called Uniroyal (really Michelin) and they set up a case for me at a local dealer.
I drove it down there and the guy measures 2/32 all around. He asked me several times "now, how many miles are on these, again?" and remarked at the even - but atrocious - treadwear. Tires have been rotated regularly (not that many times you can even rotate in that short a period, but probably 4-5 times) and I had an alignment done right after I got them put on.
I put them on at 115,000 and I'm now at 149,000. They come off within the week, whether I get any pro-rata with them or not!
I'm thinking it'll either get a set of Cooper CS5 Grand or some Hankooks!

As others have mentioned, it's the van not the tires. Minivans are hard on tires. Avoid Hankook!!!! You'll be very happy with the Cooper CS5 Grand. I have them on my 2013 Sienna. They wear well but will likely only get 45k miles which is fine.

I would say that the weight of the Sienna is coming into play as well, especially if it's been loaded up for a trip, etc.. If these tires had been on my Fusion, which only has me in it, and maybe a few odds and ends about 95% of the time, and sees about 90% highway commuting miles, they probably would have made it a good 8,000-10,000 miles more before reaching 2/32.

I looked at Tiger Paw tires a while back, but I ultimately ended up buying the Cooper RS3-A tires that are currently on my Fusion. The reviews and word-of-mouth feedback I was getting just didn't paint a great picture. They may look like a good deal, but apparently they just aren't up-to-date in terms of construction and materials tech.

Others have suggested Cooper tires for your replacement, and I must say that I agree. The RS3-A tires I've got on my Fusion have done amazingly well. They have roughly 7/32 tread on them after 32,453 miles of driving in Phoenix, including the 115+ degree summer heat. This includes lots of highway driving (both concrete and asphalt) at 70+ MPH. Obviously, your Sienna will have different results, but I'd say that Coopers will hold up much longer than those Uniroyal tires have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back