Thoughts on Valvoline SynPower SM/GF4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello fellow members.

I am wanting some thoughts opinions, user feedback on the new SM Synpower "Full Synthetic"
from valvoline. I recently picked up a 5L jug for $22.50 Can funds (not a bad deal) I would assume that this is a Group III synth?? Any PAO? I'm looking to use it in my girfriends
2.7L Sebring (I am aware of the 2.7L sludge issues) although I have no reason to believe hers is sludgeing. I maintain a 5000-6000 km OCI since its been in her possesion, (former rental car) Last fill was Esso superflo synth 5w-30 and a Wix filter. Oil seems to have preformed well over the winter. OK, now anyone see any problems is picking up a few more jugs for the next few OCI? I am aware of dino Valvolines marginal preformance, but does anyone have any thought, or comments on the Synpower? I want to maintain synth OCI untill 100,000 Km when her extended warranty expires, at which time I will exclusively use Esso XD3-0w30 full synth. I dont care to give the dealer any reason to deny warranty to the engine if need be due to the apparent probs with the 2.7L. So members fire away please, give me some tech info, or comments on what you think of this oil.

Thanks and much appreciated

Mr.Ram

I believe a low vis. synthetic diesel oil would be preferred in this motor right now. The extra detergency will help keep the engine cleaner and periodic oil analysis will verify it's performance.

I see no possible warranty issues by running the Exxon product, since it's dual rated for gas engines.

FWIW, I'd recommend the Series 3000, 5w-30 to any of my customers with one of these motors ....

TS

For SM Synpower, the 5w40 looks very good. It meets ACEA A3 and a variety of other tough specs (BMW, VW, etc). Also it has SL levels of zinc and phosphorus. Look at the product data sheets and see for your self.

Id agree with the series 3000, and my first thought really was, if you can get that esso XD3 oil, why arent you using it?!?!?

So long as it carries an API 'S' rating, and the actual version is newer than what the manual reccomends, then there would be no warranty issue. (Caveat: if the manual requests a specific spec, i.e. MB229.3, chrysler xxxxxx, GM4719M, VW501.x, etc. than you had better be sure the oil meets that one).

If a group III oil can be had for about US$3/qt, than its not a bad deal (rough calculation puts this oil at US$3.50/qt, which isnt terrible). It has been said that group III oils deal with higher temps as well as PAO. if that is indeed true, than it ought to offset sludging problems as well as anything else.

Since you bought it, id use it, you can always change next time. My only comment would be that my roomate used synpower in his VW GTI 1.8T, and it was easy to see some sludge or varnish or whatnot even around the filler cap on his engine. Ive never seen that using PAO synthetics, or even other group III oils.

That said, he got the oil put in at jiffy lube, typically, so I cant say what actually went in there.

Id still say use it, and perhaps even do a UOA. If the engine runs well, maybe use it again, but definitely consider alternatives, especially the highly regarded XD3.

JMH

Update.

Well put the GF-4 5w-30 synpower in the Sebring today. No abnormal noise, actually the engine sounds really silent with the valvo in it. It replaced a 7000km OCI with Esso Superflo Synth. Im hoping I will be able to do a UOA on this after 5000kms. I am aware of the "weak" add pack always noted when talking about Valvoline oils, but if this one turns out to be winner I may keep using it due to its price. $22.60 Can funds for 5 Litres is a good deal. *side note, Wix filter as always was used, hoping to cut it open tomorrow to see if I stretched the winter fill of Superflo to far*

Any other GF-4 Synpower users 5 or 10-30 users?. I would kill to see a UOA or even a VOA of this stuff
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Ram:
I am aware of the "weak" add pack always noted when talking about Valvoline oils, but if this one turns out to be winner I may keep using it due to its price.

You could add some Synpower Oil Treatment to your current oil to augment the add pack and to thicken it somewhat..this is what I did to my beater 190E(its 1st taste of syn after 2X post ARx)w/ the $10 5qts jug of Synpower 10w30, approx 5oz was added.

p.s. The syn leaks on this old MB engine just the same, but at the same rate now and nowhere worse than the dino oils it had thru the years..thanks to ARx(fixed most of the seal leaks, better mpg, newfound power & torque).
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back