Those Cheating Orange Juice Makers

So I went to Walmart tonight to get some groceries along with some more Valvoline. I decided I need some orange juice. Wasn't going to buy Florida Natural because that stuff was terribly bitter last time. Decided to try one Simply Orange and one MinuteMaid. I haven't tried the MinuteMaid yet but that Simply Orange is SWEET. I was thinking, where'd they get such sweet oranges to make such sweet orange juice? Then I got to thinking, if it's too good to be true, it usually is. Sure enough, looking at the ingredients list, Stevia. They cheated. I should've known that there's no oranges that sweet available anymore to a commercial orange juice distillery. You want oranges that sweet you gotta find some mom and pop somewhere growing their own at home and beg for them. So yeah, I feel cheated. At least it wasn't sugar or worse yet - corn syrup.

So I went to Walmart tonight to get some groceries along with some more Valvoline. I decided I need some orange juice. Wasn't going to buy Florida Natural because that stuff was terribly bitter last time. Decided to try one Simply Orange and one MinuteMaid. I haven't tried the MinuteMaid yet but that Simply Orange is SWEET. I was thinking, where'd they get such sweet oranges to make such sweet orange juice? Then I got to thinking, if it's too good to be true, it usually is. Sure enough, looking at the ingredients list, Stevia. They cheated. I should've known that there's no oranges that sweet available anymore to a commercial orange juice distillery. You want oranges that sweet you gotta find some mom and pop somewhere growing their own at home and beg for them. So yeah, I feel cheated. At least it wasn't sugar or worse yet - corn syrup.
Once you don’t like MM - mix them ?

The Florida citrus industry is still dealling with the disastrous effects of a 2 decades long Citrus Greening plague. The disease has caused the Brix, the soluble solids in citrus fruits that produce the sweetness, to drop below the FDA standard and the crop of 21-22 was the lowest ever. In an effort to prop up the signature flavor, growers have started importing oranges from other countries, mainly Brazil, to mix with the Florida citrus to boost sweetness. Other juice producers are working the chemistry side to boost sweetness with natural compounds like Stevia etc. to create flavor "modulators" that cause our brains to perceive what we taste as natural, sweet, orange juice. The plus side is less sugar for those that have trouble tolerating it. All in all, it sucks for those of us raised on true Florida juice, but until we can get back to pre 2000 levels of healthy trees, we will have to deal with the fiddled with stuff.

I'd bet money that the front of the jug says something like "reduced calories" or "no added sugar" or "keto friendly" or some other such nonsense, and I'd also bet that they also sold the normal varieties right next to it that only have oranges and water as ingredients. It isn't so much a scam as it is trying to market to people who are on a diet.

The same thing is done with canned fruit, which is where I learned of this little trick (in pretty much the same way you did with the juice). If it says something like "no added sugar" or "light" on the package, that probably means it has artificial sweetener inside.

I'd bet money that the front of the jug says something like "reduced calories" or "no added sugar" or "keto friendly" or some other such nonsense, and I'd also bet that they also sold the normal varieties right next to it that only have oranges and water as ingredients. It isn't so much a scam as it is trying to market to people who are on a diet.

The same thing is done with canned fruit, which is where I learned of this little trick (in pretty much the same way you did with the juice). If it says something like "no added sugar" or "light" on the package, that probably means it has artificial sweetener inside.
Exactly

OP knows this but would rather have the fishing expedition.

Almost all of the "low sugar" or diet ones have stevia, sucralose, or other artificial sweetener. On a side note, was looking at coffee creamer the other day....over half of them had sucralose in them. :cautious:

Simply Light "Orange Drink" is water, orange juice, and stevia. Simply Orange (Pulp Free or High Pulp types) claims to be a single ingredient orange juice.

If you care about these things, it is "simple" enough to read the label before buying.

[QUOTE="I Almost all of the "low sugar" or diet ones have stevia, sucralose, or other artificial sweetener. On a side note, was looking at coffee creamer the other day....over half of them had sucralose in them. :cautious:
[/QUOTE]
Processed foods.

Now you got me thinking of Belgian waffles, sausage links, plain bagel with cream cheese, a small glass of O.J., and a nice cup o' joe!

Just finished some broken up walnut meats, Post great grains with pecan, and a long-steeped Assam tea with a 1/4 tsp of raw cane sugar. Tasty enough but not a Hotel breakfast buffet!

You can sweeten orange juice by removing some of the acidic compounds. You’re not adding anything you’re just taking away some of the undesirables.

Processed foods.
If you pick a hallf dozen oranges off your orange tree in the back forty, halved them then squeezed them in a juice press, bottled (autoclaved bottle) it and threw that in the fridge - it would be processed also.

Do you spray the trees for insects? Is TruGreen spraying nasty chems on the back lawn? Was that tree grown from GMO seed with insect DNA spliced in? So many possible trap doors along the way.

Maybe I am triggered and sensitive to the word "process" as I am a former process engineer.

With current severe overpopulation, bulk processing and distribution has evolved as the first world feed model as we don't all live on farms or Orchards.

Eat safe and take care.

Nothing from the store tastes like buying oranges and squeezing them yourself. But if you are going to buy from a store, read the ingredients before buying. Orange juice should have 1 ingredient: oranges. Same with peanut butter. Alright, peanut butter is OK with 2 ingredients, peanuts and salt.

if you want real good orange juice you have to grow your own orange tree or come to Arizona in late winter. people can't eat all the oranges they grow so they give some away. once you acquire good oranges you have to juice them yourself. if you squeeze too hard you'll get the sour oil from the peel. the best way to get good juice is to wait until the oranges are so ripe you can't stop eating them, and then pick and juice them in the morning, so they're cold.

also try some of the big white grapefruit, they're way better than the little red ones.

The regular simply orange juice tastes great with no artificial ingredients nor added sugar. The low calorie variety is plainly labeled.

And they do it in tiny type in a non-contrasting color.

Same as how they put "dairy dessert" next to ice cream and hope you won't notice.

Container Orange Juice is sugar water, it is not good for you. Best you can do is buy the concentrate pulp and mix it yourself.

Back