this month's AMSOIL magazine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: daman
ONLY EOM knows for sure,a search will yield information.

Been there, tried it. all that comes up is speculation.

Originally Posted By: kemo
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
All XOM has to do is double or triple the cost of some of the items Amsoil is buying from them and choke them out. Then who'd be laughing?

So, are you saying that amsoil, gets their stuff from XOM? Their dealers try to slaughter the heck outta that "rumor".

Correct Amsoil either gets it's base stock OR additives from EOM,i forget witch one.

I forgot myself, but they do buy from XOM. Amsoil is a blender and sells finished products.

ONLY EOM knows for sure,a search will yield information.

Been there, tried it. all that comes up is speculation.

Now your learning grass hopper...

hence my "only EOM knows"

Mobil has different formulations(base)for different application requirements. This includes MC oil's too.

Thank you... however...
I am afraid to comment after this quote

Quote:
Amsoil is a blender and sells finished products.

27.gif

Thank you... however...
I am afraid to comment after this quote

Quote:
Amsoil is a blender and sells finished products.

27.gif

Thats been a known FACT for a long time,Amsoil is a quality product rest assured.

They shouldn't point and laugh too hard, if that's what they're really doing. [Which I doubt. They might just like to hear themselves, lots of companies do that.] All XOM has to do is double or triple the cost of some of the items Amsoil is buying from them and choke them out. Then who'd be laughing?

XOM isn't the sole manufacturer of PAO and Ester base stocks in the world. Amsoil would have the laugh, and buy it elsewhere. They have multiple suppliers to purchase base stocks, XOM is only one of them. This is good to prevent supply disruptions, and help keep manufacturing costs down.

All XOM has to do is double or triple the cost of some of the items Amsoil is buying from them and choke them out. Then who'd be laughing?

So, are you saying that amsoil, gets their stuff from XOM? Their dealers try to slaughter the heck outta that "rumor".

Just because Mobil 1 manufacturers dino, hydrocracked, PAO, and POE Ester base stocks, that doesn't mean they are using the good stuff in all of their formulations. Amsoil's top tier line up is exclusively true synthetics. Nothing to slaughter here. Even Amsoil uses the cheaper stuff in their XL and OE line up. XOM openly admits they make more $$$ on dino/hydrocracked petroleum.

Amsoil is in fact a blender. It's no secret they don't manufacturer their own materials.

Originally Posted By: LargeCarManX2
Mobil has alway's followed Amsoils Lead in the synthetic oil field. I think at one time, Mobil offered Big Al some $$$ for the company. Most likely to squash em....

I don't think the second part is true - but yes recently M1 seems to follow Amsoil on extended drains.

And yes Amsoil buys SOME base oil from ExxonMobil - but not near as much as people here think.

Of course Amsoil is blender. So is SOPUS, so is Castrol and so is Redline and so is Royal Purple and yes so is Mobil. What's the problem with that? Oh, yeah some of the big guys bring up crude oil, so what???

You guys are funny, but some in this thread do get it, so there is hope!!

It's not common that I see "Big Al" mention a competitor in his newsletter, but I would like to say something. It's meant for dealers and preferred customers only to read. It wasn't meant for the masses. I also don't find it bad for a larger company to model a system from a smaller company that works. It's just good business, coincidence or not.

They are a customer of XOM. Oil formulations are always ongoing and changing. The newer formulations gradually trickle down to the blenders it seems. Amsoil has become a very respectable brand. Mobil is following their marketing approach with multiple grades of synthetic. I've always had a lot of respect for both oils.

Amsoil will tell you Mobil makes a great oil. It's the oil they monitor closely.

Originally Posted By: Unleashedbeast
They shouldn't point and laugh too hard, if that's what they're really doing. [Which I doubt. They might just like to hear themselves, lots of companies do that.] All XOM has to do is double or triple the cost of some of the items Amsoil is buying from them and choke them out. Then who'd be laughing?

XOM isn't the sole manufacturer of PAO and Ester base stocks in the world. Amsoil would have the laugh, and buy it elsewhere. They have multiple suppliers to purchase base stocks, XOM is only one of them. This is good to prevent supply disruptions, and help keep manufacturing costs down.

Very true, but an industry giant and leader. I'll play devils advocate to keep this discussion going on. Are you 100% certain their suppliers are selling them the very best products possible, even better than what they use? Maybe, maybe not. Sure if you read Amsoil's publications they'll tell you its the best, as will any other oil company. I think it would be a person's opinion and advertising hype. Really nothing factual to back up the answer to that question, for or against Amsoil. JMO

Very true, but an industry giant and leader. I'll play devils advocate to keep this discussion going on. Are you 100% certain their suppliers are selling them the very best products possible, even better than what they use? Maybe, maybe not. Sure if you read Amsoil's publications they'll tell you its the best, as will any other oil company. I think it would be a person's opinion and advertising hype. Really nothing factual to back up the answer to that question, for or against Amsoil. JMO

The oils any blender buys, yes including Redline, are commodity items. There are standards, and when you tour Amsoil you can even seen the receiving inspection labs. I have no idea what the other blenders do to check their purchased materials, but I don't think even the big boy suppliers would get away with ripping off even the smallest blender/buyer for long. Think about it for 30 seconds.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
when you tour Amsoil you can even seen the receiving inspection labs.

As in oil samples?? or???

Well I've not been there during work hours, but yes they sample the tanker cars and drums. What were you thinking???
21.gif

Well I've not been there during work hours, but yes they sample the tanker cars and drums. What were you thinking???
21.gif

I was thinking oil samples too yes but wanted to be clear on it.

I was thinking oil samples too......

As in UOA's?

Those are sent to Polaris labs in different locations around the country. Not related to Amsoil production at all.

Bottom line is the quality of the product. Amsoil blends some of the finest motor oil in the market today. I have used it in heavy equipment with UOA's and it works as advertised. Mobil blends excellent motor oil's which I have also used with great success. Who cares what the newsletter says. I get tired of the Amsoil bashing. If you do not like the product move on and stop slamming it.

Exxon-Mobil is the largest producer of synthetic base stocks in the world. This includes PAO, POE...etc.

I've used AMSOIL in a number of applications with great results. They are a blender, that is what they do. XOM is also a blender (as Pablo pointed out) but they are the only blender that I know of that can produce a finished lubricant exclusively from products made in-house; I recall them mentioning this in on their website somewhere.

AMSOIL is FAR from the only blender or oil company purchasing base stocks from XOM. XOM also produces add-packs. Ashland (Valvoline) is also a customer of XOM. They are a giant. That in no way makes their competitors products inferior however. Regardless of the number of and volume of components that they source from XOM and other suppliers. What matters is the finished product.

The oils any blender buys, yes including Redline, are commodity items. There are standards, and when you tour Amsoil you can even seen the receiving inspection labs. I have no idea what the other blenders do to check their purchased materials, but I don't think even the big boy suppliers would get away with ripping off even the smallest blender/buyer for long. Think about it for 30 seconds.

It isn't about ripping anyone off. XOM sells products to Amsoil as well as others. They might have a base oil formulation that is exclusive to XOM and it isn't for sale to blenders. Why would any oil company supplying base oils, as well as making their own finished product sell a base oil better than their own? Or a superior add pack? They might keep the best for themselves. Paint companies produce paints that are sold under other labels. They leave the best formulations for themselves. It is common in businesses, think about it for a minute.

I'm sure XOM delievers Amsoil exactly what they ask for, and Amsoil tests it to be sure. No foul play. If XOM tried to rip them off they'd buy from someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back