this month's AMSOIL magazine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't normally like to poke fun at a product or company, and I have run my fair share of AMSOIL, but I had to laugh at this month's "From the President's Desk":

"And speaking of impact, it is interesting
that Mobil’s recent repositioning of its
motor oil lineup closely mirrors the positioning
of our oils. I am not suggesting,
necessarily, that Mobil modeled
their approach after us, but it is worth
noting."

etc etc etc

"Again, I am not suggesting that Mobil
intentionally “borrowed” our strategy,
but it is curious. Our impact has been
seen before."

I think a better question is, does Mobil even know AMSOIL exists? (I'm sure they do, but seriously...)

robert

With Amsoil yearly sales in the $50-$100 million area, I would thing that all competitors would notice. Each bottle of boutique oil that is sold is one less bottle of Mobil-1 sold.

I'd love to know what their yearly sales are, along with other boutique suppliers like Lucas, RoyalPurple, Redline....

Big oil companies need to give us what we need. If they don't, we'll go elsewhere.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
With Amsoil yearly sales in the $50-$100 million area, I would thing that all competitors would notice. Each bottle of boutique oil that is sold is one less bottle of Mobil-1 sold.

Does that even show up on the radar for SOPUS, Ashland, XOM? I doubt it.

I found it a bit funny as well. I'm sure the dudes at Amsoil are very cocky SOB's and like to point and laugh at the HUGE oil companies like XOM as if Amsoil is the standard on which all other oil companies follow.
crackmeup2.gif

Its very possible that Mobil 1 did "steal" Amsoil's strategy but in reality, i think its all a coincidence.

There are brilliant minds pondering these things at both companies headquarters. It just so happens that both came up with the same thing.

I'm sure XOM's monthly newspaper has a similar article where they say that Amsoil is blindly following in Mobil's footprints.
45.gif

Mobil seems to be cornering everyone. Their 0w oils really blow all other majors out of the water price wise. I think XOM is going for EVERYONE'S jugular. Whether it will work or not is another question. SOPUS still leads the pack. AMSOIL will still fulfill a niche, it will just be harder for people to justify the prices with all of the quality oils out there now. I still like em though and will use their products from time to time.

Originally Posted By: Artem
I found it a bit funny as well. I'm sure the dudes at Amsoil are very cocky SOB's and like to point and laugh at the HUGE oil companies like XOM as if Amsoil is the standard on which all other oil companies follow.
crackmeup2.gif

They shouldn't point and laugh too hard, if that's what they're really doing. [Which I doubt. They might just like to hear themselves, lots of companies do that.] All XOM has to do is double or triple the cost of some of the items Amsoil is buying from them and choke them out. Then who'd be laughing?

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Mobil seems to be cornering everyone. Their 0w oils really blow all other majors out of the water price wise. I think XOM is going for EVERYONE'S jugular. Whether it will work or not is another question. SOPUS still leads the pack. AMSOIL will still fulfill a niche, it will just be harder for people to justify the prices with all of the quality oils out there now. I still like em though and will use their products from time to time.

Agreed...

i have many gallons of Interceptor in stash but with quality syns available at WM and other retailers for a very completive price makes high priced boutique oils less desirable unless that's all one's focus on witch is fine too.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
crackmeup2.gif

They shouldn't point and laugh too hard, if that's what they're really doing. [Which I doubt. They might just like to hear themselves, lots of companies do that.] All XOM has to do is double or triple the cost of some of the items Amsoil is buying from them and choke them out. Then who'd be laughing?

Yep!

Yes the relationship Amsoil and Mobil have is sort of incestuous. Big Al is getting up in years so he might say some things that are even more interesting as the next few years go by. It will be interesting to see what his son or son in law have to say when one of them most likely takes over.

I think Amsoil following Mobil or vice versa does not surprise me.

You can laugh at his editorial all you want, but they are pioneers in the synthetics.

Good to see small oil companies still fighting the good fight! Seriously though, without competition what would the products be like?

crackmeup2.gif

Probably AMSOIL. This behavior is prohibited by the Gov't. Anti-competitive laws say this is a no-no. The companies that do refine motor oil are so large, it would probably only take a accusation of anti-competitiveness to get the gov'ts attention (large companies tend to get the eye of the DOJ in these kinds of things). Non-incidentally, this is probably why it hasn't been done. Spend $200M defending a lawsuit or just sell the product and make bank?

The "close positioning" that is perceived probably is the normal progression and evolution of the oil business.
This seems to be dictated more by the needs of the market that are present, and possibly in the near future.

All XOM has to do is double or triple the cost of some of the items Amsoil is buying from them and choke them out. Then who'd be laughing?

So, are you saying that amsoil, gets their stuff from XOM? Their dealers try to slaughter the heck outta that "rumor".

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: kemo
All XOM has to do is double or triple the cost of some of the items Amsoil is buying from them and choke them out. Then who'd be laughing?

So, are you saying that amsoil, gets their stuff from XOM? Their dealers try to slaughter the heck outta that "rumor".

Correct Amsoil either gets it's base stock OR additives from EOM,i forget witch one.

crackmeup2.gif

Its very possible that Mobil 1 did "steal" Amsoil's strategy but in reality, i think its all a coincidence.

There are brilliant minds pondering these things at both companies headquarters. It just so happens that both came up with the same thing.

I'm sure XOM's monthly newspaper has a similar article where they say that Amsoil is blindly following in Mobil's footprints.
45.gif

You said I'm sure XMs monthly newspaper has an article saying Amsoil is blindly following Mobils footprints. XM normally doesn't ridicule or belittle their competion, at least in public print or in their advertisemens. Now what they say in the smoke filled board rooms is another story.

Originally Posted By: daman

Correct Amsoil either gets it's base stock OR additives from EOM,i forget witch one.

So is m1 group 3 or 4? The amsoil dealers here spout off group 3 and that they use nothing from xom.

Originally Posted By: daman

So is m1 group 3 or 4? The amsoil dealers here spout off group 3 and that they use nothing from xom.

Not going there on the respect of the forum,formulations differ thus base stocks differ,ONLY EOM knows for sure,a search will yield information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back