This might be controversial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok there is a thread going on about whether RP is superior than M1. I am not on either side being superior. But here is my first observation with RP (in my Toyota camry which I have lubed with M1, Amsoil and RP.) After using RP first time when I opened by intake to clean IAC there is no built up on it and nothing on TB as well. What was there seemed like little lubricant sprayed in there area. I just wiped it with a cloth and the place was clean. Where as with M1 and Amsoil I did had a good built up there. Again I am not bashing either of them. Just and Observation.

What exactly would any buildup on your TB and IAC have to do with your engine oil? Did you happen to change air filters during this time?

How much oil ends up in your IAC? Build up?

Were all oils tested of the same viscosity? Fill level the same? Miles the same? revs the same?

Not controversial at all. What you see is what you see. Just need to make sure the conditions all are/were the same.

Quote:

ok there is a thread going on about whether RP is superior than M1. I am not on either side being superior. But here is my first observation with RP (in my Toyota camry which I have lubed with M1, Amsoil and RP.) After using RP first time when I opened by intake to clean IAC there is no built up on it and nothing on TB as well. What was there seemed like little lubricant sprayed in there area. I just wiped it with a cloth and the place was clean. Where as with M1 and Amsoil I did had a good built up there. Again I am not bashing either of them. Just and Observation.

UH OH.............

Quote:

Were all oils tested of the same viscosity? Fill level the same? Miles the same? revs the same?

Not controversial at all. What you see is what you see. Just need to make sure the conditions all are/were the same.

Pablo, I don't see how that matters. How would engine oil get onto an IAC or a TB?

Depends on the order of plumbing, but on high mileage Volvos for example I often see motor oil in the IAC (not the TB, though). Engines with lots of blow-by seem to be worse.

Quote:

Quote:

Pablo, I don't see how that matters. How would engine oil get onto an IAC or a TB?

As Pablo says, it depends on the plumbing. Older systems used to have the intake of the PCV system outside of the air filter area (generically speaking)...the other end, naturally, was piped to beneith the throttle body to the manifold. Later, the inlet was placed behind the air filter. Hence ..essentially ...the intake and outlet (to manifold vacuum) are only separated by the throttle body. One above ..and one below.

If the amount of blowby gas exceeds the ability of the suction (outlet) side to handle ..any excess will be vented above the throttle body. Either way, it goes through the combustion process. It will foul your TB with oil residue ..just like it does your intake tract.

Quote:

enough to make surface greasy, to be precise, say about half and oz.
Quote:

yes I always use 10W30. I drive 50 miles one way with similar road conditions everyday. Early in the morning, I can do 75MPH without any disruption. Evenings there are two patches of traffic I have to go though. So Yes driving and revs are close enough on daily bases. Same miles. Always dump in 4qts at oil change.
Quote:

People here have strong opinions about oil they use So I thought this might turnout to be controversial.

Quote:

What exactly would any buildup on your TB and IAC have to do with your engine oil? Did you happen to change air filters during this time?

I really don't know what exactly my engine oil has to do with it (car junkie moron! hint, hint), But I can make a logical assumption that it does have anything to do with it because different oil produces different amount. I mean no different driving style, no other changes, same gas and same amount of gas poured in at each fill up. The only thing different is engine oil. What else could it be? I use Toyota OEM ones that last me pretty good 40K miles with giving it every once a month good blow with high power vaccume. Also, I make sure to blow them when I change oil.

In this case where a there may be a small amount of oil in the recirculated gases, would it really have anything to do with the oil itself, or just its tendency to attract dirt and debris and hang onto it? To me, this is like saying I filled 3 different spray bottles with M1, RP and Amsoil and sprayed each into the back of a box fan while it's running, which one would stick to the blades and attract the most dirt?

Wow, learn something new. I guess I'm just used to the Big Two vehicles + Chrysler and don't remember seeing this type of system. Does not seem like a good idea though-for that reason. This sounds similar to the Harley system which delivers the crankcase pressure to the back of the air cleaner housing. While the system has gotten better over the years, there will still be some oil in the air filter housing and the carburetor throat. On that particular system the type of oil doesn't seem to make that much of a difference but its the type of driving that does (long highway trips are worse).

Now I understand why different oils may make a difference in the amount of buildup. I just didn't know that any cars routed the PCV prior to the TB.

The INTAKE side of the PCV system is in front of the throttle, so as long as blow by and crankcase pressure doesn't exceed what the PCV valve side of the system can handle, nothing should end up on the throttle body.

ok you guys can smack me, but this is the area I was talking about. Keep in mind I am car junkie moron.

open.jpg

Note loose hose by left hand. That's where your oil residue is coming from. Look inside hose. The other valve cover should be plumbed to below the throttle body.

Either way, the crankcase emissions are routed through the combustion chamber. It's a very common, and almost mandated, process these days.

The edge of that flapper "butterfly" valve shows sign of deposits. A sort of car cholesterol build-up.

Disgusting.

Think of the children!!!!!!!!!

Most everyone here knows what these thing s are already.

What I want to know is if it's the same amount of miles as usual or not, or if you have been cleaning it more often maybe that is why? Less miles?

Beyond that; I can certainly tell the difference between M1 in my car and Walmart Synth. M1 burns like a SOB, walmart does not burn as much. So it is certainly possible that RP is better for your car then the others.

How many miles on the engine? What engine is this? Condition? More info please....
confused.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back