This doesn't look right...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can find similar tandem dual trailers with a typical rating of 20,000 lbs with a 25,000 gvwr. That trailer looks like it might be aluminum in which case it might have a slight bow designed in.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Shading isn't good - are there two tires per side on each axle?
Looks like an equipment trailer, has 8 tires, possibly air brakes?-I wouldn't be surprised if it was legal if the truck pulling it was big enough. Looks a little risky, though.

Are legal limits on towing, and the maximum weight limits suggested by the trailer and truck manufacturer one and the same?

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Looks like an equipment trailer, has 8 tires, possibly air brakes?-I wouldn't be surprised if it was legal if the truck pulling it was big enough. Looks a little risky, though.

I'd agree, especially if they are dually on both axles, which it does look like it might be. Out of curiosity, I took a look online at some tandem axle trailers and this one, for example can handle 20,000#, it's not even dual tires, and the one in the OP looks even heavier duty. So my guess is that it is a legal load. As for the tow vehicle and the condition of the trailer tires, who knows.

http://www.johnsontrailerco.com/10-ton-equipment-trailer/

20,000#:

Sketchy but if it's being pulled with a medium duty truck with a pintle, I wouldn't think it would be unsafe or illegal.

It has 8 tires on it, either 16s or 19.5s. If it's a 10 ply 235/85-16 (going for hte lighter), they would have a rating of around 2400 each. Total of 19,200 in trailer tire. Not sure what the wieght distribution is, but the truck probably weighs 18000?

As long as it has sufficient tongue weight ...

I wish I had taken a video but I saw an idiot pulling a full size van with a tiny 1980s Toyota pickup. He was doing about 45 on the freeway and fish tailing all over the place. I got around him in a hurry but I really wonder if he crashed...

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
No overload there, what with the trailer bed being all nice and straight.
smirk.gif

It's a tilt bed. There is a slight curvature in some models since the lower part of the bed is essentially a ramp. The tongue being a little low gives the illusion of being bent.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Judging solely upon the apparent size of the trailer tires, no. Gross overload of the trailer.

Doubt it...those look like 16" duals, probably ST235/80R16s (or LT235/85R16s). If so, the tires on that trailer will carry over 25,000lbs. (Eight tires, ~3500lbs capacity each.) Even 225/75R16s are good for over 9,000lbs per axle.

Originally Posted By: PumpPusher
Legal. Common sight to see single axle medium duty dump trucks pulling 25 ton tags with a loader or a backhoe. Either piece of equipment easily grosses what that road tractor weighs.

That. The semi LOOKS worse, because it's bigger, but the backhoe is probably heavier.

Having said that...I DO wonder exactly how high that thing is, considering it looks like a full-height sleeper, which is usually over 12'. I wonder if it is over 13'6". (Minimum, the tractor's tires should be deflated-and personally, I'd have pulled the outside duals.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back