Thinking Too Much, Endless Possibilities

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if I can get any info on this SJ Kendall oil from Phillips. At the time mine was made, Kendall was in transition from Witco to Sunoco, then eventually Phillips. I am somewhat interested in trying a UOA. It would be interesting to see what the numbers look like.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Cars like that are getting so hard to find these days!

"Cash for clunkers" killed a lot of classic American iron, not to mention some relatively rare cars. The official list shows almost 2,000 Roadmasters (about half of them wagons) had their engines filled with sodium silicate and the bodies crushed for scrap.
frown.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quark
Originally Posted By: Garak
Cars like that are getting so hard to find these days!

"Cash for clunkers" killed a lot of classic American iron, not to mention some relatively rare cars. The official list shows almost 2,000 Roadmasters (about half of them wagons) had their engines filled with sodium silicate and the bodies crushed for scrap.
frown.gif

That was sickening............

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

That was sickening............

No Foolin'!

An Aston-Martin DB7?!??

A BMW M5?!?!?

A GMC Syclone?!?

Who are all these Idiots????????????

So, back to the original topic, I've been thinking about just changing the filter at 5-6K and sampling the oil drained from it. Then, I could take another sample at 10K from a complete change, plus this second sample would include the benefits, or lack thereof, of the top off oil added to the add pack and hopefully the TBN.

Originally Posted By: Red91
Are you trying to make a man cry?

If he did, it worked.
wink.gif

Finding a Town Car or a Grand Marquis or Crown Vic here is hard enough, much less a Roadmaster/Caprice!

And, it's worth a shot, if you're backing it with a UOA. If it looks ugly, well, switch the plan.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Red91
So, back to the original topic, I've been thinking about just changing the filter at 5-6K and sampling the oil drained from it.

Unless the engine has a lot of sludge particles breaking off inside, changing the filter isn't going to do a lot.

Just do your 10k oil/10k filter run and let BrocLuno pay for your oil analysis!

I'm thinking now that 6K is the magic number. Of course, until I sample the oil at said mileage, it is all speculation, but I believe 6K miles will be where the TBN depletes and the oil becomes acidic. If that is true, and I change at exactly that point, then I'll know this particular vintage of Kendall GT-1 is a decent 4-5K mile oil. We shall see!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back