Things you carry with you every day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: abycat
You guys are lucky. I wish I could carry a gun. oh well would never need it but would love the wife to be able to have a small pistol holstered under the car seat or in her purse.

Get her a small tomahawk to keep in the door. It is a formidable weapon and the cops won't give it a second look if they see it. If questioned about it, she can explain that her husband uses it to chop ice fishing holes or some other excuse. The US military still issues tomahawks to certain combat soldiers to this day.

efdb_sog_tactical_tomahawk.jpg

When I leave the house, phone, keys, wallet, and a little duct-tape coin purse, oh, and of course a handkerchief.

To work, add ID card, a couple of pens, a few individually wrapped teabags, their phone, and a dinky little "dowsing pendulum" that I made out of a wine bottle stopper, brass set screw and some brickies twine.

The latter is just for special effect when asked to review recruitment files, plant failures...just for giggles, and first impressions.

Ah, not too much. My wallet and keys are always with me. I'm particular about having them both on me and my family knows it. If somebody has to borrow dad's keys, they know to return them pronto.

Work time, add a wrist watch. It was selected by my wife (then finance) and purchased by my mother as a Christmas gift some 30 years ago. It displays the phase of the moon. A US made Cross pen with blue ink refill, that's so I can tell at a glance an original from a photocopy. A .5 mm mechanical pencil. And a 1/4" wide 6" long stainless steel pocket ruler. Very handy for measuring something , de-burring the odd piece I'm working on, light prying or scraping, etc.

In pockets:

Wallet
Car & house keys
Quarters
A pen
Roll of Tums

On me:
Wristwatch (one of 4, 2 Rolexes, a Titoni, and a vintage Bulova)
College ring

In briefcase:

Current book(s)
Checkbook No. 1, and a flash drive
Hair brush
Cell phone
Pill box with some Advil or the like
Old address book (hasn't been updated in years)
Binder with address labels, manuscripts, &c.
Umbrella
Calculator (as old as the address book)

For work, I carry a lunch packet with my salad, cookies and crackers, sweetener and sugar, and a jackknife.

I see some of you listed what you carry in your car or truck.

In the Regal's trunk:

Rear folding sunshade
Knee pad from gardening store, in case I have to change a tire or something
Tire wrench
Doctor's bag with miscellaneous items like a rolled-up rain jacket, can of tire inflator foam, "space blanket," LED flashlight, box cutter or jackknife
Length of rope (hey, ya never know)
Small tool case with screwdrivers, work gloves, a couple of wrenches
Spare umbrella in the elastic loop GM provided on one side

In the glove box:
Big "wallet" from Eddie Bauer to hold gas credit cards, registration and insurance, the current notebook for recording gas and other purchases, a pen, and a pencil tire gauge

In the console:
Thin leather gloves
Sunglasses
Face towel for wiping inside of windows

In the door pockets:
Owner's manual
Maps, including a directory of Cracker Barrels nationwide

(Gosh. No wonder it takes so long to transfer all my "stuff" from the old car when I buy a new one.)

Quote:
In the door pockets:
Owner's manual

Hahaha you're definitely from the south i presume? My Uncle and Mom grew up in New Orleans and my uncle has a map of all the Popeye's chicken restaurants in his truck...if you go outta town with him its Popeye's or starve!

Originally Posted By: donnyj08

Quote:
In the door pockets:
Owner's manual

Hahaha you're definitely from the south i presume? My Uncle and Mom grew up in New Orleans and my uncle has a map of all the Popeye's chicken restaurants in his truck...if you go outta town with him its Popeye's or starve!

Yeah, I've been marooned here in the South for a good part of my life. Only Southerners would carry a list of Cracker Barrel restaurants?

My GF is a waitress at a CB. When we eat there, we get a 33% discount.. which makes eating there about the same price as McDonalds. She can share her discount up to 8 times in one day so if her family has a birthday party or the like, she can give her discount to basically everyone with a bill. (Grandparents, siblings and their SO's, etc.)

We can use the discount at any store too which is nice. When we take our little road trips down to Indy, we try to stop at the one along the way for breakfast/ lunch.

The CB's down south are SLOW though. Wait 2 hrs and you get your silverware.
27.gif

*Country Boy Breakfast (with the sirloin) and the beef and noodle soup is where its at!

Last edited:
I just peeked into my trunk, and discovered that I also lug around:

Jumper cables
Plastic ice scraper (at this time of year, you never know when there'll be frost)
Squeegee
Bottle of Meguiar's Detailer and a clean microfiber cloth
A folded pair of plastic bags for when I grocery shop at Save-a-Lot (they sell you bags for .03 each, so I bring my own). Bags also come in handy when it's raining, to protect something in my trunk.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

. . . The CB's down south are SLOW though. Wait 2 hrs and you get your silverware.
27.gif

*Country Boy Breakfast (with the sirloin) and the beef and noodle soup is where its at!

A lot of things are slooooow in the South. I've never had any significant delay, though, at any Cracker Barrel, here or in Tennessee, Alabama, Arkansas, or Texas.

My experience is limited to Kentucky and Tennessee. I understand the laid back mentality and actually admire it. No hustle and bustle.

Just seems excessively slow at CB restaurants. Not a huge deal if you aren't in a hurry though. I can think of a few local places like this too.

Last edited:
When I'm "out in the world," I carry my wallet, keys, pocket knife, lighter and cigarettes.

When I'm working on the farm, I carry my pocket knife, lighter and cigarettes.

Keys, wallet and phone.
Other nice to have items are carried in the cras, like minimal tool kits and jumper cables.
Less is more.

On me:
wallet
tiny flash light
cell phone
Olympus Stylus Tough camera
I carry the camera and cell phone clipped to my belt, because sometimes I would forget to remove my phone, and it would get destroyed in the laundry.

In my car:
umbrella
cheap outdated GPS
jumper cables
car cleaning supplies
emergency escape hammer and seat belt cutter

I forgot to list one regular take-along: a small shoehorn. It's only two inches or so long and very light. It could double as an ice-cream scoop or similar in a pinch!

hotwheels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back