They gave me a mini van...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love the 2012+ Grand Caravans. The brake, suspension and steering updates made them a really nice minivan. We owned 4 different make minivans over a 17yr period. Loved every one of them.

Originally Posted by ls1mike
Originally Posted by wings&wheels
OT, but if you have time go and see the USS Olympia. She is the oldest steel warship afloat, was Commodore Dewey's flagship, and is a fascinating example of a ship that was born between eras; lavish wood paneled staterooms for the Captain and Admiral and within a steel warship.

I don't mind minivans on work trips...non descript.

I have been. There is a submarine there too. Of interest to me as I did 12 patrols on two different SSBNs. It is a good place to visit

Mike, as a former USN E5 (SW) VETERAN; thank you for serving
smile.gif

34.gif

We have a brace of this gen in the fleet at work and they are pretty nice.
Plenty of room and plenty of grunt and fuel economy isn't bad either.
For a family that could afford just one vehicle, these things are a real bargain.
Cheap, spacious and not thirsty.
What else could you want, for those with enough sense and secure enough personally not to buy a more expensive CUV instead?

OT, but if you have time go and see the USS Olympia. She is the oldest steel warship afloat, was Commodore Dewey's flagship, and is a fascinating example of a ship that was born between eras; lavish wood paneled staterooms for the Captain and Admiral and within a steel warship.

I have been. There is a submarine there too. Of interest to me as I did 12 patrols on two different SSBNs. It is a good place to visit

The sub is USS Becuna. I have been on the Olympia...spectacular. And yes, she is a very odd contrast, steel hull, electric lights, powered gun turrets...but the crew hung hammocks, and the staterooms are straight out of the Age of Sail.

USS Texas has some similar contrasts...while a generation newer than Olympia, her crew originally used hammocks, and her 5" casemate guns are quite similar to Olympia's.

Sadly, Olympia and Texas are both in dire need of a drydock.
frown.gif

I'll be honest I love my 4 door sedans and sports cars. I will say this van is a helluva a deal for the money perfect if you have to move 4 people or better.

I'm in a food coma now. I love Philly!!

When I need the features of a minivan I rent one- the best part is being able to return it.

Originally Posted by glock19
We have had a few minivans as rentals and I don't think there's anything better for a road trip.

I'd rather take my Caddy.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
Originally Posted by glock19
We have had a few minivans as rentals and I don't think there's anything better for a road trip.

I'd rather take my Caddy.
laugh.gif

My grandfather has a 1971 Cadillac Eldorado that is basically like riding down the road on your favorite couch.

Originally Posted by 53' Stude

Mike, as a former USN E5 (SW) VETERAN; thank you for serving
smile.gif

34.gif

Thank you both.

We saw the Becuna there. I have an interest in submarines, my Grandfather served on Parche SS-384 during the war tour for which Capt. Ramage was awarded the Medal of Honor.

I would never choose a minivan for a road trip; I only rented them when we were helping move our so when he was going to college at South Carolina and I needed a vehicle with a bit more room.
For a road trip my go-to car is the M235i, followed by the ti and the X1. I did rent a Charger R/T to visit my son at Thanksgiving a couple of years ago, but that was just for giggles.

Originally Posted by KrisZ
Originally Posted by bubbatime
they gave me a 2017 Carvan. I was surprised how well the V6 motivated it.

Thats a REALLY old platform by now. They started making that model in 2008 and its the same model essentially. The new Pacifica was supposed to replace it, but they kept the older, cheaper, Caravan around for rental car sales.

The engine has about 285 hp, so its no slouch and has enough get up and go for a soccer mom car no doubt.

Old platform or not, it still performs very well for its purpose and is competitive in the minivan segment.
So if one doesn't ming being behind in infotainment system tech, radar cruise controls, cameras and huge touch screens, these minivans are quite nice in all other aspects.

Both "lack of" and "being behind" are an asset. Change just for change and electronic gimmicks don't add value. Especially electronic gizmos that are obsolete or dead before a vehicle is paid off.

Originally Posted by DweezilAZ
Originally Posted by KrisZ
Originally Posted by bubbatime
they gave me a 2017 Carvan. I was surprised how well the V6 motivated it.

Thats a REALLY old platform by now. They started making that model in 2008 and its the same model essentially. The new Pacifica was supposed to replace it, but they kept the older, cheaper, Caravan around for rental car sales.

The engine has about 285 hp, so its no slouch and has enough get up and go for a soccer mom car no doubt.

Old platform or not, it still performs very well for its purpose and is competitive in the minivan segment.
So if one doesn't ming being behind in infotainment system tech, radar cruise controls, cameras and huge touch screens, these minivans are quite nice in all other aspects.

Both "lack of" and "being behind" are an asset. Change just for change and electronic gimmicks don't add value. Especially electronic gizmos that are obsolete or dead before a vehicle is paid off.

I don't know many who have many issues with these "gadgets" with a typical car loan. If it happens-it's not too frequent.

I have driven quite a few of that generation Grand Caravan (after the FCA facelift) both with ZipCar and as National rentals. The ZipCars were used both for my own move as well as to help a friend move, the Nationals were work rentals that always came about when I flew into Orlando (surprise surprise).

I actually quite enjoyed driving them, if I had to drive cross country I would try to seek out a minivan rental. Excellent freeway MPG, I would regularly see 28 MPG average on my run from Orlando to Ft. Myers via I-4 and I-75. Great power from the Pentastar V6. Amazing A/C. Very nice car-like ride.

My only gripe with them were a few pieces of cheap switch gear inside. The turn signal stalk reminded me of early 90's GM multi-function stalks that feel like they are about to shatter anytime you activate the turn signals.

I test drove one or two, and liked the Caravan over the Sienna, quite a bit better (my only gripes were the pedal height to each other, and then the fears in the back of the head saying "it's a Dodge, run away!"). Haven't driven an Odyssey but have no intention of getting one of those, I'm not anti-timing belt but when everyone else can go to timing chain... it makes you wonder. [That and VCM fears.]

Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by DweezilAZ

I don't know many who have many issues with these "gadgets" with a typical car loan. If it happens-it's not too frequent.

Agreed; all the "gimmicks" on my newer cars are working fine, and they range in age from 5-10 years old.

The Caravan is really too much fun to drive it is really borderline criminal a family hauler is that much fun. It's like riding a moped when your friends see you.

Weird the last three times i had a reservation for a minivan i ended up with 2 suvs and a truck from both hertz and enterprise

Thank you both.

We saw the Becuna there. I have an interest in submarines, my Grandfather served on Parche SS-384 during the war tour for which Capt. Ramage was awarded the Medal of Honor.

Would have loved to talk to your Grandfather. Those WWII guys had some crazy stories. They would routinely come tour SSBNs in the 90's. They were always thrilled to be involved with current submarines. It
was always a good time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back