These new self storage places

It seems these places are being built on every corner in my area. They seem to be all three stories with glass facades. I can only imagine what the monthly rates are in these new palaces. I guess storing people’s junk is big business and profitable these days.

IMG_0364.jpeg

IMG_0363.jpeg

Yup, a bit of corruption there too when the person doesnt pay their bill, "someone" roots through it before it goes to the obligatory auction / storage wars. Apparantly thats been good television for awhile now, but again it seems pretty rigged to me so I've avoided such auctions.

When these self storage places started popping up the business model was that people would store their stuff for a short time. That didn't happen as people would store stuff for a long period time-then the business model exploded. Americans-generally own way too much garbage. If you have ever been to Europe or any Scandinavian countries you would be amazed at the difference-and minimalist attitudes.

It was about 40 years ago that I realized that I had no smarts for business. These storage units were coming and I thought they were stupid. Who would pay $100 a month to store their junk. I could buy new junk. Jokes on me.

I saw that Emmitt Smith keeps all his trophies and awards in a storage unit.

I can barely keep track of my possessions at home. Keep losing stuff in my neat house. Can't imagine having more stuff than I have now.

Reactions: D60
These are all over Ontario, even in cottage areas. People just collect too much stuff and can't abide selling / donating / junking.

It's a problem in my own house, my youngest son was a carpenter and then decided that he'd be better being a Civil Engineering Technologist. So now my basement is full of his tools, and he had EVERYTHING. He maintains that he'll do side jobs, so these will earn money someday....

Yeah, it is wild. Around here, Blackrock and Berkshire Hathaway etc. are all building the "mixed use" developments of crappy overpriced congested apartments/condos on floors 2/3/4 with the first floor being starbucks & mexican food, then one of these places across the street.

It seems these places are being built on every corner in my area.
And in the big city, they are moving into countless older (often vacant) factory building and warehouses. I suppose if nothing else it gets a blighted property cleaned up and back on the tax rolls.

I read somewhere (here?) they're a natural part of the evolution of commercial real estate:

Get zoned appropriately, clear the land, throw something like this up for 20-30 years. Let the rent pay the taxes. Eventually the land will be worth a "real" building so they'll evict everyone and start the cycle again further out in the sticks.

OMG, wife and I talk about this all the time, *LOL* its incredible, granted we are in one of the fastest growing counties in the USA so some short term storage might be needed, such as between moves, but all over NC and SC these storage places are popping up and I mean ALL around us, even the existing ones expanding!

For the life of me I dont get it! Yeah, sure some people as a one off may need one temporary if moving into a new home, but my god, what do people store in these things and why?
I ask why because is it people just cannot bring themselves to part with stuff? So what do they do? Leave all this junk for their kids to throw out once they are gone from this earth? Who wants to do that? Kids of their own overload of junk.

I dont get it, I think as Americans we have some kind of mental hoarding disease and way too much saved stuff that no one wants, just throw it away.

Wife and I make fun of each other at times so we are what I consider horders at times, but neatly tucked away in closets, no storage places ever. My wife has stuff from our daughter's elementary school saved *LOL* K through 6 grade in neat plastic containers. Our daughter is now almost 30 years old *LOL* I tell her, ask her if she wants it or throw it out which is what she will do when we are gone... stuff like that.
Life is really tough in America now adays is what I read all the time, then how is it that they build, build, build and expand storage places all over the nation for people to put all their unused junk it and pay for that storage by the month because they feel guilty throwing it away?

Last edited:
Back