Thermostat housing leaks after a simple replacement job...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weird, a rubber gasket should seal pretty good. I've had a case on a Ford recently where the Felpro paper gasket I installed leaked after the install but slowly over the next month the leak stopped as the gasket expanded.

@clinebarger has a really good point that you need to make sure the bolts go in easily and tighten down farther than they have to (try them in without the housing in place). If they're hitting dirt in the bottom of the holes you can torque all you want and have no force on the housing.

Originally Posted by P10crew
The gasket should be molded silicone/ aluminum.
Not rubber

AFAIK, most of the t-stat gaskets I've used were rubber that goes on the rim of the t-stat or the housing. I think the Chevy one in this case threads into the intake. Might want to see if a thread sealant is needed and clean the holes. I'd use the white anaerobic Loctite/Permatex stuff on the bolts.

Use an rtv like Permatex for water pumps and the T-Stat as a dressing for the gasket (you don't need gobs). This will fill in any surface imperfections and let it sit for 24hrs before filling. (or if you use Right Stuff I guess you can fill right away..but I prefer to use the Permatex rtv that's made made for pumps and stats).. Plus, I always tighten one side a little then do the other a little, then back and forth..wash rinse repeat until fully tightened then check the torque.

And as others suggested... clean the surfaces really good so that rtv can fill gaps and set well, taking care not to gouge anything and use a shop towel with brake cleaner before putting it all back together.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by nthach
Originally Posted by P10crew
The gasket should be molded silicone/ aluminum.
Not rubber

AFAIK, most of the t-stat gaskets I've used were rubber that goes on the rim of the t-stat or the housing. I think the Chevy one in this case threads into the intake. Might want to see if a thread sealant is needed and clean the holes. I'd use the white anaerobic Loctite/Permatex stuff on the bolts.

They're blind holes, No thread sealant needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back