The truth about oil change intervals and analysis

Agree, but most that have the ability to knock have sensors to retard the timing and stop the knock.

It would be a curious finding for premium fuel to stop dilution given the reason that it happens in the first place, but stranger things have happened.
Well mostly true in NA engines, but turbo engines under load typically map richer, especially normally lean burn turbos.

Mileage isn't a a good indicator of oil life for many anyhow.
Engine hours is better. Even better is a setup that calculates oil life.

Mileage may be fine for a setup running highway like a L48 long haul driver. Otherwise is doesn't account for idle or slow driving.

IE my work truck has about 8900hrs and 25k miles.

It's had about 35 oil changes. If I did 3000 miles, that's only about 8.

Last edited:
Meh, perhaps only if the engine is knocking due to LSPI (and higher octane helps) and/or the engine is tuned to use premium--otherwise a waste.

I run premium 100% of the time in my Bronco, it still has dilution...
If you have LSPI, you are probably only going to have it once. It tends to be devastating, which is why there has been so much work put in to avoiding it entirely. On the other hand, conventional pinging/spark knock, which is why engines have knock sensors, is controlled through ignition timing of course, but also through enrichment and injection timing with GDI. This is particularly true for TGDI engines where enrichment and injector timing enable compression ratios that aren't possible with port injection, let alone on regular fuel. If the amount of enrichment and injector timing can be influenced through using higher octane, using feedback from the knock sensor, then this can have a positive effect on reducing the amount of fuel that makes its way into the sump.

Mileage may be fine for a setup running highway like a L48 long haul driver. Otherwise is doesn't account for idle or slow driving.

Truck i was running last week had just over 100k miles and 26,000 hrs. F550 flatbed.

Yup, an IOLM that takes into account operating conditions is about as "good as it gets" for a predictive system, as hours don't account for operating temperature (or whether it gets up to it at all thanks to short tripping), how much fuel is being consumed, average load...etc. Going by miles is even worse as it doesn't factor in hours along with any of those factors.

A good dialog for these guys would be,

"So frequent oil changes are good. Should I change my oil every 100 miles?"

"No, that's too often."

"Should I change it every 1000 miles?"

"No, that's too often."

"Should I change it every 3000 miles?"

"Yes, that's about right."

"Why? What data do you have to recommend 3000 instead of 2000 or 4000?"

If they don't have data, they're just rehashing talking points from somebody else.

No. OEM tunes are generally not setup for more fueling when spark knock is detected. If anyone wants to prove otherwise, they should post the tables from the ECU software. Otherwise, it is speculation at best.
Are you talking NA? Yes I agree. Or are you talking turbo engines? You need to make the distinction.

I don't have tables. I think you knew that.

I know for a fact Volvo did this for years in their turbo engines. Does Honda do this? I don't know for sure. Not sure how to find out. You probably could and I trust you.

While that is true, at the same time Lake often says things that are not quite true. A recent video where he's talking about M1 0w40, he says the FS on the label means full synthetic but yet it actually stands for FULL SAPS. Big difference there. And in this video in question when they are talking about how the manufacturers are calling for longer oil change intervals being extended and all that needs to happen is for the engine to just get past the warranty period, that's total nonsense too. No manufacturer in their right mind would want their engines to be dying just shortly after the warranty is up. Nobody would buy their cars anymore. There are a few manufacturers out there whose reputation was built on having long lasting engines (Toyota, Honda, Volvo) and there is no way they want to sully that reputation with a bunch of dead engines.

Lake does have a lot of oil knowledge, but it's very odd that with all of his oil analysis expertise he still says that we need to do shorter oil change intervals. The data he's looking at on a daily basis proves otherwise.
Your interpretation of the warranty comment and mine are different.

Lake does have a lot of oil knowledge, but it's very odd that with all of his oil analysis expertise he still says that we need to do shorter oil change intervals. The data he's looking at on a daily basis proves otherwise.
it’s a whole lot easier to make a LOT of money selling $70-100 oil analysis when your overarching recommendation is “change it every 3k, AND MAKE SURE to send in another sample so we can make sure you’re not going to damage your engine!” Just another shock jock.

If you’ve got a vehicle that is regularly used in fleets, and have access to their oil & OCI data, it’s nearly a guarantee that if you use both those data points you’ll be fine… private owner use is almost never as brutal or disregarding of the machinery as fleet use is.

Remember Crown Vic cop cars & taxis? If you had access to PD data and they were using Chevron conventional 10w30 on 10k OCIs regardless of hours and had even just an average failure rate compared to CVs as a whole, I personally would run that oil & OCI for 10k with abandon, because I know I’m not using the throttle as an on/off switch, nor letting the engine idle for hundreds (thousands?) of hours during said OCI.

I just hit 3 years and 4 months of ownership on my F150, and over that whole time in Midwest winters and 58k+ miles of driving, have just now accumulated 100 hours of idle time and turned over 82k total miles. The previous owner, who had the truck from new to 23,800 miles had idled for 192 hours in his time. My use case is easy street compared to most.

Are you talking NA? Yes I agree. Or are you talking turbo engines? You need to make the distinction.

I don't have tables. I think you knew that.

I know for a fact Volvo did this for years in their turbo engines. Does Honda do this? I don't know for sure. Not sure how to find out. You probably could and I trust you.
Haven’t seen this in any of the Nissan VQ engines we’ve tuned, NA and turbo.

I stand by my statement. Until someone wants to post ECU tables showing this to be part of Honda’s fueling strategy, it is speculation at best.

Back