The slide was "a little sluggish."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Still don't understand the "sluggish slide" bit. Did the deputy see something that was not right with the weapon and attempt to clear the problem while also pulling the trigger, or was he just playing around with the gun?My question is what did the deputy see about the gun that caused him to move to a little used entrance where he attempted to correct the problem? How do you see "sluggish"?
confused.gif

Just a lame duck excuse so he doesn't have to say his officer is a complete idiot noob with a gun. Saves face for the public.

A court house is a public place, and as such duty guns should be holstered and not fiddled with. Guns should only be removed when needed, or perhaps at home or in the station, away from the public. Deputy was negligent here for sure.

I haven't seen a follow up to this story in the Omaha World Herald, but eventually, additional facts will be made known. I'm sure the deputy will always be recognized as the guy that shot the x-ray machine.
smile.gif

How often do they need to 'qualify' and how much ammo do they shoot in between? 50rds every 6 months?
I see cops come to my range and most are somewhat unsure and scared of their own guns.

Originally Posted By: dubber09
How often do they need to 'qualify' and how much ammo do they shoot in between? 50rds every 6 months?
I see cops come to my range and most are somewhat unsure and scared of their own guns.

Worked at a shooting range in the city for a while. Cops are the worst shots and the hardest to train because they already know everything.

This story doesn’t even make sense, the slide was sluggish? How did he know this if he wasn’t cycling the slide and why was he cycling the slide in the courthouse.

I think someone is full of something.

Originally Posted By: MarcS
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: Al
Its possible to occurr on a 1911 withour finger on the trigger..but not with a striker fired pistol. Don't know about tthe type 3913 whick "decocks"

Only on series 70 or older, right?

Doesn’t change the need to unload and wait for verification...

I honestly don't think theres enough mass in the firing pin to overcome the weight of the firing pin spring and still strike the primer with enough energy to go bang.

99.99999% of the time someone says “i dropped the gun and it went off" what they actually mean is "i tried to catch a falling gun and pulled the trigger"

Depends on what “it” we are saying is possible.

It is theoretically possible for a 1911 without a firing pin safety to discharge if the hammer is down on a loaded chamber and the hammer struck or if dropped on the muzzle. This is why most current 1911 without a FPS have a titanium firing pin and why condition 1 is the way a 1911 should be carried.

When a 1911 is in condition 1 the thumb safety physically blocks the hammer and slide, even if the sear releases the hammer the hammer cannot fall far enough to strike the firing pin while the thumb safety is in the safe position.

Originally Posted By: MarcS
Worked at a shooting range in the city for a while. Cops are the worst shots and the hardest to train because they already know everything.

My experience as well.

What does this deputy carry?

Police officers are like anyone else. Some are gun nuts, but plenty carry just because they have to. Some are fitness nuts, others aren't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back