The Science of Magnatec

Status
Not open for further replies.
* If it's possible that molecules containing dirt / deposits are also clinging to metal engine internals - then what mileage OCI would you run in mixed driving conditions (i.e. 5W30 ; Southeastern USA ) to prevent unwanted deposit build up ?

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
* If it's possible that molecules containing dirt / deposits are also clinging to metal engine internals - then what mileage OCI would you run in mixed driving conditions (i.e. 5W30 ; Southeastern USA ) to prevent unwanted deposit build up ?

I don't buy into this theory it does that. If it did, it wouldn't be able to meet and surpass all the specs that it does (IVA/IIIH/D1/G2). It's a good thought though.

Originally Posted by ChrisD46

It is certainly possible, I'd wager that is exactly what is happening. I sure wouldn't be trying to push the oil to its limits trying to squeeze every possible mile out of the OCI. The junk in the oil is clinking with the oil, and the more junk the worse it gets, imo.

Originally Posted by buster
Originally Posted by 1bioguy
Intelligent molecules...not those stupid Valvoline ones. This is why I dont use Castrol at all.

I always railed against Castrol's marketing. I still don't care for it, or BP, all that much. It is what it is. You can't just make things up without legal ramifications.

If they claim 10x and 6x better on Seq IIIH and IVA, it has to be true.
21.gif

The video was for laymen that don't care much about technicalities.

Wich spec and formula is it? They have many...

The dispersant molecules do not have polarity.
They are not sticking to anything.
That's why they are called dispersant molecules.

The Science of Magnatec...

smirk2.gif

Castrol can market it however they want, but my understanding is that Magnatec is your typical group 3 synthetic with a bit of ester added, which gives them some justification for the whole clinging molecules thing.

Also, from everything I've seen it's a perfectly adequate oil which even performs pretty well in some tough conditions (Ford twin turbo ecoboosts seem to love it for example) and you'll be fine running it.

Originally Posted by Bjornviken
Originally Posted by 1bioguy
Intelligent molecules...not those stupid Valvoline ones. This is why I dont use Castrol at all.

I always railed against Castrol's marketing. I still don't care for it, or BP, all that much. It is what it is. You can't just make things up without legal ramifications.

If they claim 10x and 6x better on Seq IIIH and IVA, it has to be true.
21.gif

The video was for laymen that don't care much about technicalities.

Wich spec and formula is it? They have many...

The EDGE line, both regular and EP.

Originally Posted by Direct_Rejection
The dispersant molecules do not have polarity.
They are not sticking to anything.
That's why they are called dispersant molecules.

The Science of Magnatec...

smirk2.gif

I agree.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by littlehulkster
Castrol can market it however they want, but my understanding is that Magnatec is your typical group 3 synthetic with a bit of ester added, which gives them some justification for the whole clinging molecules thing.

Also, from everything I've seen it's a perfectly adequate oil which even performs pretty well in some tough conditions (Ford twin turbo ecoboosts seem to love it for example) and you'll be fine running it.

Other oil companies do the same thing with esters. Castrol just decided to play it up in their advertising, and it appears to be working.

I don't think so...;)

"There are numerous polar and non-polar molecules in motor oil; some from the base oil(s), some from the additives. You imply that add polarity = better tribofilms; this isn't necessarily a given
(for example, increased polarity can lead to reduce surface wetability/spreadability)."

"You think that an oil company will give away a formulation or ingredient on a public forum? Where do Castrol "claim lots of polarity"? They claim clinging molecules (here's the official line). It is a molecular effect, not a macro oil film effect. Of course being a motor oil it will also do all of the usual oil stuff, like form a hydrodynamic oil film, clean, protect, cool etc as evidenced by the various specifications and approvals."

I don't think so...;)

"There are numerous polar and non-polar molecules in motor oil; some from the base oil(s), some from the additives. You imply that add polarity = better tribofilms; this isn't necessarily a given
(for example, increased polarity can lead to reduce surface wetability/spreadability)."

"You think that an oil company will give away a formulation or ingredient on a public forum? Where do Castrol "claim lots of polarity"? They claim clinging molecules (here's the official line). It is a molecular effect, not a macro oil film effect. Of course being a motor oil it will also do all of the usual oil stuff, like form a hydrodynamic oil film, clean, protect, cool etc as evidenced by the various specifications and approvals."

sorry missed your post,i think what u say make sense,its all in the approvals.

Pfft...

My jug of Amsoil HD SAE30 is the most sheer resistant oil eveeeer... it's my lifetime fill on B&S motors that go to abusive homes.

LoL I don't think it's even made anymore though.

Edit: I replied because I have a small stockpile of NA made 5w40 and Belgium made 0w40 Edge and some Edge gold 5w30.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by demarpaint
Originally Posted by littlehulkster

Other oil companies do the same thing with esters. Castrol just decided to play it up in their advertising, and it appears to be working.

I've no doubt that other companies do it. Still, Magnatec seems to be a perfectly fine oil that has the added benefit of being very cheap. Marketing is marketing, everyone's marketing departments are spewing their own flavors of half true BS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back