The cost of college

Didn’t colleges and universities just raise the cost of tuition/ fees / books, etc… as the student loans (debt) kept increasing ?

Reactions: JTK
I skimmed through this as it is and will most certainly be extremely relevant in 4 years. As it stands trying to fund both children in private school is already eating at me in ways only an amoeba would understand.

Luckily the eldest won a partial scholarship to HS and the grandparents choose to pitch in next year for the younger one. We make an average income for a dual income family so basically private school next year is my 2nd mortgage. I cringe at college tuition.

Why private? It started with no public full day kindergarten and a failing school district, thankfully they turned it around but that only happened when the eldest went into 4th grade. Once Covid was a factor I was 100% grateful we stuck with it as even with a small private school's limited resources their implementation of distance learning far exceeded the public school district's offering.

Subscribed...

Reactions: JTK
Determining need is the critical calculation in all of this. They figure out what you can afford to pay, and grant the difference between that and what they charge in the form of aid.

There are three “colors” of money used when determining financial need - a perspective gained by having done the FAFSA about 15 times, and having talked with financial aid folks at several schools.

First, there is the kid’s money. 529, education IRA, Coverdell, UGMTA, savings account, cash, whatever. If it’s in the kid’s name, it is 100% available for college.

Next, there is parent‘s money. Both in the form of salary, and cash on hand. This is where the “saver penalty” comes in. If you’ve saved money to pay for college, then, it is available for college. Some percentage of both salary and savings is available. The precise percentage varies by institution, but parents are expected to support their kid.

Finally, there is parent retirement savings. Parents 401(k), parent IRA, accrued pension, etc. this is not, repeat, not, available to pay for college.

When colleges look at ability to pay, that’s the supply side. What’s available.

Then, they look at the need side. Multiple kids in school simultaneously, increases need. Shortfall between need and ability is where financial aid is applied. Determination of the shortfall and aid varies by institution. More on this in a bit.

So, two important points:

1. The aid award varies by institution. Academic year 2011-2012 was a particularly difficult one for us: oldest step son in one college with in state tuition, middle step son at another college with in state tuition, step daughter at a third in state college and my daughter at an elite school. Yes, that was four kids in college at the same time.

Three in state schools. One elite school. The elite school was the cheapest, by far, even though the advertised price was more than double that of any of the three in state schools.

2. As a financial planning consideration, when prioritizing between your retirement and paying for kids college, fully find your retirement first. Many parents get this completely wrong. Many financial planners get this wrong as well. There are lots of ways to pay for college; go to community college for two years and transfer, scholarship, financial aid, ROTC, serve in the military, work, borrow, or a combination of the preceding.

None of those options will work for retirement. Many parents feel a sense of obligation, and I understand and appreciate that, but saving cash for college at the expense of under funding retirement both decreases potential financial aid and ensures a shortfall in retirement that can’t be made up. A double penalty. A huge mistake.
Can you clarify regarding what you mean by 100% available for college (I'm talking about Educational IRA and 529s)? My understanding at least in the case of 529s (parent or dependent student owned) and a quick read on educational IRAs is they fall under the parents assets for purposes of a FAFSA.

Were you talking specific to school grant(s) that may be determined based on the FAFSA or CSS profile?

honestly, what you do in life and how financially successful a person is depends on many factors, luck being one of many factors..

honestly, what you do in life and how financially successful a person is depends on many factors, luck being one of many factors..

Especially in the business world, luck goes a long way.

Meeting the right people and them helping you goes a looooong way.

Very few people pay the "full" price for college. Those insane prices for places like Providence, or the out of state tuition for a state school, exist so they can charge very wealthy people and foreigners out the *** to subsidize everyone else. I went to Villanova in the late 90s, the full price was about $25k/year but they gave me a 40% "need based" break right off the top. Took the basic Federal loan ($17k total), parents covered the rest which at that point wasn't ridiculous, and we got a massive ROI.

Of course everyone should shop around and consider the student's likelihood of success, cost, and earning potential for their desired degree. My younger brother did the community college then state school route and it was the right thing for him.

Student loans that are made without regard to the potential to repay them are the single greatest contributor to rising college costs. People love to talk about administrators and fancy dorms and student centers with climbing walls etc but it all flows from the supply of money. I can't think of any other loans that are given without regard to credit rating, current income, future income, etc.

jeff

Painting an oversimplified picture of a very complex subject. My mother was deputy director of financial aid at UMass before she passed away. The worse part of her job was meeting with many NY and NJ parents who were not wealthy as you state but on paper were above thresholds for increased fin aid. The salary needed to support a family in NY/NJ is much higher than what the state of MA considers as its baseline eligibility for $$. There is no accounting of parents' salaries in different geographical regions.

Can you clarify regarding what you mean by 100% available for college (I'm talking about Educational IRA and 529s)? My understanding at least in the case of 529s (parent or dependent student owned) and a quick read on educational IRAs is they fall under the parents assets for purposes of a FAFSA.

Were you talking specific to school grant(s) that may be determined based on the FAFSA or CSS profile?
Yeah, where they’re listed on the FAFSA, and how the school views them, are two different considerations.

The FAFSA is a pain, almost as much fun as doing your own taxes (and I do my own taxes), and it’s like 20 pages long. I built a FAFSA spreadsheet to do the calculations, which made subsequent years easier.

So, you list the 529 under your assets, but it’s 100% available to pay for that child’s expenses and that’s how the school will usually interpret it.

Each school takes the FAFSA data, puts it through their own, proprietary process, and makes their own determination of ability to pay.

The variation in how institutions come up with their numbers, when provided with the same data set, is both interesting, and dramatic.

My stepson’s school, in Blacksburg, VA, was in state for us. They looked at the FAFSA data, and awarded no aid, none, in the year I mentioned above. We had to come up with $27,000 for him. This despite his brother and sister being in school that year.

My daughter’s school, with a much higher cost, looked at the same FAFSA, awarded her $36,000 in aid, and we had to come up with $18,000 for her.

Same data. Interestingly, I had a quite modest 529 balance for her. So, the net difference in schools was made more dramatic by the fact that there was $4,000 in her 529, while there was no 529 for my stepson.

So, I withdrew and applied the 529 that first year for my daughter.

The next year, with three in school (oldest had graduated), my daughter’s school granted even more aid, which offset the increase in tuition.

Our need went down (fewer kids in school) and our resources went down slightly (no 529 balance in her name) and we ended up with more aid, based on the ability to pay determination.

That was 12 years ago, and my last time doing the FAFSA was two years ago. Things may have changed a bit since then but the point is this: schools each have a unique method of determining ability to pay.

The cost of college has vastly out-paced inflation. While your experience isn’t off topic, it’s a relic of a different time.

Albright College this past year was $45,000 before aid, for room, board, and tuition.

Harvard this past year was $78,000 for the same. Harvard will exceed $80,000 this coming year.

Not many kids working part time during college are going to clear $45,000, even working hard in the quarry.
I would argue the cost of Harvard or any elite college is irrelevant. One's child gets accepted, in any possible case (up to 250k gross income before) it will be cheaper than a state university. And a child will leave as a graduate with zero debt. What the child is dealing with is 3-6% acceptance. Not only that, many of the ~ 94% who are rejected are in fact people with perfect grades, scores, activities, and IQs. Was not the case in my parents' time, nor mine. Then, legacy, hard work, and wanting it had some factor.

We don't qualify for any need-based aid. My son is a solid B+ average kid who basically worked and skied on his own time as his only extracurriculars and so I was surprised that both some state and private schools gave him merit money. Now none of the private schools were "elite" but some were still $60k to $70K per year and offering him $30-40K per year making them equivalent to UMass. It looks like the game for the more expensive private schools is to give just enough money to make them equivalent to a state school if state schools gave no money. I was surprised some of the UMass schools gave him additional money (one $10K per year which represents ⅓ of the total cost) and others not a cent.

There's more money out there than I initially thought and I assumed every school would be the full cost for me.
My ex-boss said his auto insurance nearly doubled when his daughter got her license, same two cars. I said huh?!

Then he said for his son's mediocre college, he pays $27k out of pocket after aid. I said huh?!

Then he said his daughter is entering college and he likely will pay $27k or more after aid, I said wow.

At least by everyone's standards, he's rich. (is he really?)

To do a reality check? He told me he contributes $0 to his 401k, can't afford it. Also, his car is a 10 year old Kia, the smallest 4 door they made that year. Is he rich?

I found out about his 401k because I had to ask about deferred comp which I was forced into, because I earn so much. If you believe that, the Mario M Cuomo bridge eliminated tolling for the next 100 years :ROFLMAO:

I would argue the cost of Harvard or any elite college is irrelevant. One's child gets accepted, in any possible case (up to 250k gross income before) it will be cheaper than a state university. And a child will leave as a graduate with zero debt. What the child is dealing with is 3-6% acceptance. Not only that, many of the ~ 94% who are rejected are in fact people with perfect grades, scores, activities, and IQs. Was not the case in my parents' time, nor mine. Then, legacy, hard work, and wanting it had some factor.
So, you’re arguing the same thing that I said:

if you can get in, you can afford to go.

I’ve said that several times in threads on this subject. You and I aren’t arguing that point, we agree on that point.

You‘re morphing the discussion into one on admission criteria. Different topic altogether. Harvard admitted 3.4% this year. Yale 3.6%.

There are several factors that have influenced that, but it’s honestly a very different topic.

I think Astro is saying that if you have $100k in a 529 in the kid’s name they assume that 100% of that can be used for school and if school costs $100k then no need-based aid given. All things being equal that $100k in your 401k is off the table as far use for education and now you may get aid because now you essentially have $0 saved for college. That $100k in retirement serves you better in two ways.

My ex-boss said his auto insurance nearly doubled when his daughter got her license, same two cars. I said huh?!

Then he said for his son's mediocre college, he pays $27k out of pocket after aid. I said huh?!

Then he said his daughter is entering college and he likely will pay $27k or more after aid, I said wow.

At least by everyone's standards, he's rich. (is he really?)

To do a reality check? He told me he contributes $0 to his 401k, can't afford it. Also, his car is a 10 year old Kia, the smallest 4 door they made that year. Is he rich?

I found out about his 401k because I had to ask about deferred comp which I was forced into, because I earn so much. If you believe that, the Mario M Cuomo bridge eliminated tolling for the next 100 years :ROFLMAO:
This example strikes to the heart of my point - he is failing to prepare for his retirement out of a sense of obligation. This is a huge mistake.

What other options were available for his kids?

Why those schools?

If they’re mediocre, why bankrupt your own future for that opportunity?

There is little ROI in this plan. What’s really sad is the powerful, and misguided, combination of the parental sense of obligation and the child’s sense of entitlement that drives everyone into a colossal waste of money.

I think Astro is saying that if you have $100k in a 529 in the kid’s name they assume that 100% of that can be used for school and if school costs $100k then no need-based aid given. All things being equal that $100k in your 401k is off the table as far use for education and now you may get aid because now you essentially have $0 saved for college.
Precisely.

I think Astro is saying that if you have $100k in a 529 in the kid’s name they assume that 100% of that can be used for school and if school costs $100k then no need-based aid given. All things being equal that $100k in your 401k is off the table as far use for education and now you may get aid because now you essentially have $0 saved for college. That $100k in retirement serves you better in two ways.
I get that. Actual reason for my question was in the buckets of money (@Astro14 called them three “colors” of money), bucket two was parent's money which is where I would stick 529s based on how I think they count towards a family's EFC. I also get there is a difference between how the FAFSA is used to determine federal aid (federal grant's, work study, loans) and how a school uses it to determine say school funded aid.

Maybe said a different way, I don't in any way disagree with the premise of funding one's retirement first, my mind immediately went to is there a difference between $100K sitting in a 529 versus $100K sitting in a brokerage account. If there is, one may want to start thinking differently about the tax benefits of a 529 contributions and distributions.

I get that. Actual reason for my question was in the buckets of money (@Astro14 called them three “colors” of money), bucket two was parent's money which is where I would stick 529s based on how I think they count towards a family's EFC. I also get there is a difference between how the FAFSA is used to determine federal aid (federal grant's, work study, loans) and how a school uses it to determine say school funded aid.

Maybe said a different way, I don't in any way disagree with the premise of funding one's retirement first, my mind immediately went to is there a difference between $100K sitting in a 529 versus $100K sitting in a brokerage account. If there is, one may want to start thinking differently about the tax benefits of a 529 contributions and distributions.
In my experience:

The $100K in the 529 is expected to be used 100% for college.

The $100K in the brokerage account is expected to be used at a much smaller %.

Edit: If the $100K were in a brokerage account that was part of your 401(k), it would be 0%.

They are absolutely treated differently. Very differently.

The tax benefits of contributing to a 529 are one side of the equation. How money is viewed in determining need is the other.

Each institution will view things slightly differently, but those two accounts are, in fact, viewed quite differently.

As you plan your future, the first priority, and first dollars, need to go to your retirement account. Then, once you are funding that at the proper level, you can consider a 529.

When my oldest child was eight years old, I started a 529 for her and her siblings. The next year, my company went into bankruptcy, and my pay was cut by 65%. I was struggling to pay the mortgage, so college would simply have to wait.

It wasn’t a matter of planning for me, it was the reality of very difficult times.

But, coming out of that, after I’d gone back on active duty, when paying for college, it was very interesting to see how colleges viewed things.

I sat in the office of the Director of financial aid at an elite school, where we discussed my financial situation, as well as their offer for my oldest daughter. That conversation, as well as the six college educations, for which I have paid, has shaped my comments here.

Last edited:
The Federal GUBMENT created this problem.
" In 1987 then‐Secretary of Education William J. Bennett argued that “increases in financial aid in recent years have enabled colleges and universities blithely to raise their tuitions, confident that Federal loan subsidies would help cushion the increase.” The higher education establishment indignantly denied the claim.
But there was no doubt that tuitions were rising faster than the inflation level. And while some people insisted that federal and state aid to higher education was being cut back, that was hard to credit. Bennett pointed out in 1987 that federal student aid had risen 57 percent since 1980, while inflation had been 26 percent. A 2020 study by the Congressional Budget Office brought the numbers up to date: “Between 1995 and 2017, the balance of outstanding federal student loan debt increased more than sevenfold, from $187 billion to $1.4 trillion (in 2017 dollars).”

A 2017 study from the Federal Reserve Bank of New York found that the average tuition increase associated with expansion of student loans is as much as 60 cents per dollar. That is, more federal aid to students enables colleges to raise tuition more. Salaries rise; bureaucracies expand; more courses — from “History and Analysis of Rock Music” to “Ultimate Frisbee” — are offered; dorms, dining halls, and recreational centers become more lavish. Even with all this spending, employers don’t find that new grads are well prepared for the workplace."
FROM THE CATO INSTITUTE

In my experience:

The $100K in the 529 is expected to be used 100% for college.

The $100K in the brokerage account is expected to be used at a much smaller %.

They are absolutely treated differently. Very differently.

The tax benefits of contributing to a 529 are one side of the equation. How money is viewed in determining need is the other.

Each institution will view things slightly differently, but those two accounts are, in fact, viewed quite differently.

As you plan your future, the first priority, and first dollars, need to go to your retirement account. Then, once you are funding that at the proper level, you can consider a 529.

When my oldest child was eight years old, I started a 529 for her and her siblings. The next year, my company went into bankruptcy, and my pay was cut by 65%. I was struggling to pay the mortgage, so college would simply have to wait.

It wasn’t a matter of planning for me, it was the reality of very difficult times.

But, coming out of that, after I’d gone back on active duty, when paying for college, it was very interesting to see how colleges viewed things.

I sat in the office of the Director of financial aid at an elite school, where we discussed my financial situation, as well as their offer for my oldest daughter. That conversation, as well as the six college educations, for which I have paid, has shaped my comments here.
I could not agree more. My 401k with match, my and my wife's backdoor Roth IRAs, and the HSA all got fully funded before we contributed the 529. The result is do I have all three 529's fully funded? Nope, and I will have to cash flow some it for the next two using the 10 month payment plans, etc, but that's doable.

Back