The continuation of being dumped on in Restaurants needs to end.

The best cook I know is me.

I detest eating in restaurants and only do so when friends of mine decide to have a gathering at a restaurant. The food is always way overpriced and poor in either quality and are serving size, and items that are supposed to be warm or hot or often cold or lukewarm, and often the service is ridiculously slow, and it seems to be standard procedure to screw up the order some way.

If it were not for friends wanting to have get togethers at a restaurant I would never be going into a restaurant at all.

As far as I'm concerned I'm paying for a seat to be with my friends, and I can expect the food to be lackluster, unappealing, barely adequate, cold when it is supposed to be hot, stale, not what I ordered, and taking too long to get to my table.

Too often the people that are working at restaurants were trained for other Industries or capabilities such as sitting behind a keyboard. They're not interested in doing their work with any type of quality, they're there to put in their time collect their tips and check and don't really give a darn about giving the customer what they came for.

I do not look forward to going to restaurants, but only do so because that's often where my friends care to gather. I do look forward to being with them but I detest restaurant food.

The only restaurants that I know of around here that has good quality food is Panera Bread. I will stop in there sometimes but in general I can get more bang for the buck by making it at home.

Last edited:
The best cook I know is me.

I detest eating in restaurants and only do so when friends of mine decide to have a gathering at a restaurant. The food is always way overpriced and poor in either quality and are serving size, and items that are supposed to be warm or hot or often cold or lukewarm, and often the service is ridiculously slow, and it seems to be standard procedure to screw up the order some way.

If it were not for friends wanting to have get togethers at a restaurant I would never be going into a restaurant at all.

As far as I'm concerned I'm paying for a seat to be with my friends, and I can expect the food to be lackluster, unappealing, barely adequate, cold when it is supposed to be hot, stale, not what I ordered, and taking too long to get to my table.

Too often the people that are working at restaurants were trained for other Industries or capabilities such as sitting behind a keyboard. They're not interested in doing their work with any type of quality, they're there to put in their time collect their tips and check and don't really give a darn about giving the customer what they came for.

I do not look forward to going to restaurants, but only do so because that's often where my friends care to gather. I do look forward to being with them but I detest restaurant food.

The only restaurants that I know of around here that has good quality food is Panera Bread. I will stop in there sometimes but in general I can get more bang for the buck by making it at home.
I don’t know where you live, but if Panera is the only “quality” ( not a term I’d use for Panera), it must be a very sad, depressed area.

That said, you’re right about the best cook being ____. At least for some/most things. But the thing is, others do make things that have different flavors, different characteristics… and that can include restaurants. But beyond that, sometimes you just don’t want to cook. Call it laziness, call it exhaustion, whatever. But finding reasonably good food isn’t a bad thing. And it’s not hard to do in most places, even if you do have to pay a bit more.

Many places don’t cook food. They just warm up things from the Sysco truck and plop it on a plate.
You just nailed it.

I don't mind paying real money for real food made by a chef or cook who knows his business, and the business is clean.

But if I want packaged junk (I don't) - I'll wave it myself!

My wife is the best cook I know, my brother is up there, but his range is a bit limited. I can cook, but always learning. I don't have enough depth in Asian, African or Eastern Euro food. Anyway, any of this is better than any restaurant I've been to in awhile.

On a continued note, how the heck to people in Canada..............oh nevermind

I don’t know where you live, but if Panera is the only “quality” ( not a term I’d use for Panera), it must be a very sad, depressed area.

That said, you’re right about the best cook being ____. At least for some/most things. But the thing is, others do make things that have different flavors, different characteristics… and that can include restaurants. But beyond that, sometimes you just don’t want to cook. Call it laziness, call it exhaustion, whatever. But finding reasonably good food isn’t a bad thing. And it’s not hard to do in most places, even if you do have to pay a bit more.
Being a pre-diabetic vegetarian who tries to eat healthy does make it more of a challenge to find low carb healthy vegetarian food to eat that's also appetizing.

My small town has a great little family owned restaurant. Best breakfast around. Great broasted chicken as well.
The owner is also the main cook. Probably will only hold 100 people or so. His Daughter helps run the place.

Today most any endocrinologist, or dietician associated with them, will tell you to stay out of restaurants, period.
That is very true and has been their advice for lots of years. Wife was a fresh out of college working as a Dietician/Technician 46 years ago when we first got together and she was 100% dead set against eating out for many years. Two sons who came along and an eventual change from Health Care worker to an Educator kind of helped break her from the 100% ban on eating out! LoL. We still never really got into all of the fast food quicksand traps a lot of people/families with small kids in the house easily fall into. Many parents would be horrified if they took the time to see the poisons they are consuming and giving their children with the main excuse being "its too convinient and we dont have time to prepare food for the family."

It really depends upon how you define the restaurant experience.
If you consider a meal out to be a special occasion, there are actual good restaurants everywhere, and their prices reflect this.
Most areas also have some pretty decent local family dining type places.
If all you want is to sit down, get a glass of the house wine and get some pseudo regional food, then the wine will be insipid, the food mediocre if trying to make up with quantity what it lacks in quality and the service nothing you'll find memorable. You can surely cook up something better at home and enjoy a better wine for far less coin.
A meal out should never be a food as fuel experience. If it is, then you have the wrong expectations or you went to the wrong place.

Here is the biggest problem with restaurants. It becomes a big Catch 22. They have to make the food taste good. Or else no one will come back to eat it again.

And the things food has to contain to taste good are sugar, carbs, fat, and salt. Precisely the crap you shouldn't be eating in any great abundance.

It really depends upon how you define the restaurant experience.
If you consider a meal out to be a special occasion, there are actual good restaurants everywhere, and their prices reflect this.
Most areas also have some pretty decent local family dining type places.
If all you want is to sit down, get a glass of the house wine and get some pseudo regional food, then the wine will be insipid, the food mediocre if trying to make up with quantity what it lacks in quality and the service nothing you'll find memorable. You can surely cook up something better at home and enjoy a better wine for far less coin.
A meal out should never be a food as fuel experience. If it is, then you have the wrong expectations or you went to the wrong place.
Agreed...part of the problem is when it's not a special event it also leads to both unhealthy bodies and unhealthy finances in most cases.

I think often people mimic how they were raised...if you grew up in a home with a mom that didn't cook and you ate out all the time, you end up doing the same thing for your family. It's the same reason why the lady behind me at the grocery store was buying cereal and Pop Tarts for her kids for breakfast...she likely was never taught what actually makes for a healthy wholesome meal.

Typical Italo-Americano fare. Let's just drown everything in sauce and cheese. Heart attack on a plate!
Don't know who copied from who? Mexican + Italian/American foods remind me of the same thing.
Both of them drown / hide their entrees in either their special sauce and cheese or cheese and
their special sauce!

For those with Facebook- Bill Orielly's comment on today's restaurants (Chili's):

I don’t recall any of their stores being dirty - we can send some labor up there - running a surplus now …

For those with Facebook- Bill Orielly's comment on today's restaurants (Chili's):

I saw that segment on O'Reilly's show a few days ago. I think this is more of a reflection of "Gen Z", or whatever they're calling themselves these days, than it is on Chili's as a restaurant franchise.

Most of these people don't want to work because they can get more from the government shining a seat with their butts. So the pool of what's leftover, and available for these places to hire, amounts to basic garbage picking.

When you have to give a simple order to a waitress 3 times, because they're too slow to comprehend and absorb the spoken word, something's wrong.

This is the unfortunate result of what has been a slow but steady deterioration of of our public educational system over the last several decades. Not so much Chili's in particular. O'Reilly just found the rotten apple in a barrel that's about 75% full of rotten apples.

Back