The case for quitting Facebook

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by gman2304
What's this Facebook you speak of?

Agreed. You don't have to quit when you don't start.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Garak
Originally Posted by gman2304
What's this Facebook you speak of?

Agreed. You don't have to quit when you don't start.
wink.gif

+1

We are all a bunch of rodents, looking for attention and Facebook, Google and the others are making BOATLOADS of money selling all your private information and yes, even drawing up physiological profiles of you so they can get in your brain and know how to sell you products that you cant resist, even though they know why you are buying a product, you dont know, they know you better then you.

Think about it. :eek:)

Last edited:
By the way, in case anyone doesnt know, your privacy settings in Facebook that most people never bother to look at, you can EASILY set your settings so NO one can view your profile except people that you have on your friends list.

Its that simple, but people are so lazy to not even bother. They freely give away, sell their bodies and that of their kids, all in the name of "free" stuff.

Originally Posted by alarmguy
We are all a bunch of rodents, looking for attention and Facebook, Google and the others are making BOATLOADS of money selling all your private information and yes, even drawing up physiological profiles of you so they can get in your brain and know how to sell you products that you cant resist, even though they know why you are buying a product, you dont know, they know you better then you.

Think about it. :eek:)

I don't disagree with you at all. The problem is that the general dumb populous out there is feeding these data farms like a fatty at a buffet and doing it for free so they are ending up with the info anyways.
frown.gif

Several family and friends have tried to get me to get a fakebook account or Twitter or Instantgram,I politely decline. I do not even have a smartphone. I have an old Trackphone LG flip phone. I do not text.A 60 minute card is $20 and the phone doubles it so it is 120 minutes. I tell people that there are 5 ways to get a hold of me. I have a PO box, I have a street address,I have a cell phone and we have a land line.I also have an e mail though I maybe check it every month or 2 at best. Best way is to come directly tomy house second best way is to call land line #. I have zero interest in having fakebook and giving permission to that company to sell my personal information.

Hackers can easily hack right through fakebook privacy settings and steal identity and pictures and other personal information. Fakebook is a identity thief's dream.

By the way, in case anyone doesnt know, your privacy settings in Facebook that most people never bother to look at, you can EASILY set your settings so NO one can view your profile except people that you have on your friends list.

Its that simple, but people are so lazy to not even bother. They freely give away, sell their bodies and that of their kids, all in the name of "free" stuff.

Look at the social engineering aspect, though. Facebook et al do make it possible for you to jack up these privacy settings. Let's assume those settings work as advertised. 99% of people still don't bother to change those settings, because it is a bother. Look at the fight that Facebook and the usual suspects are putting up in Europe where there is a push to have privacy settings maximized by default. These companies are banking on us not changing privacy settings, which is why they don't want them defaulting by law to maximum privacy.

Originally Posted by Garak

Look at the social engineering aspect, though. Facebook et al do make it possible for you to jack up these privacy settings. Let's assume those settings work as advertised. 99% of people still don't bother to change those settings, because it is a bother. Look at the fight that Facebook and the usual suspects are putting up in Europe where there is a push to have privacy settings maximized by default. These companies are banking on us not changing privacy settings, which is why they don't want them defaulting by law to maximum privacy.

Exactly ^^

I do my part to limit my exposure more then the average person but I do make full use of the internet and my computers (also in reply to Steve C above)
I have nothing to hide but its principle, Google, Facebook, Amazon ect are massive profit making machines, unseen since the beginning of mankind making money off other peoples information. It blows my mind :eek:)
Anyway, I do my part not to use services from these companies as much as possible, I dont boycott them, I just choose to use others first and them if need be, I do go out of my way and feel good about not using them though. So I use them and not let them us me is the way I see it.

Smart phones, same thing, go into settings, I turn off most app all permissions, people dont realize apps arent "free" either. they constantly send back whatever data those apps can make money off of, most cases just target you with ads but whatever.
Besides turning off permissions on my cell phone, I also turn on "Data Saver" in the mobile data section of my android phone. This "turns off" apps when your not using them, one side benefit that would help many people is that it greatly extends battery life in your device, I always get phones with large batteries but I never even get down to the 50% mark, never, on any day. With Data Saver on the app is "on" only when I open it. (for the most part) . Let me state again, like the start of my post says, I am looking to greatly limit these companies, Im not saying by doing what I do that I am "off the grid" (just in case people start replying otherwise)

I dont need my programs and facebook and countless other apps telling me when the latest message came in, the latest email (and I got 5 accounts) ... the only time I need to know is when I decide I have the time or want to check for messages or email.

Data Saver has allowed me (and also reminded me) to take my life back and have me control the device and the device no longer me.

Yes, of course I leave text messages on. :eek:)

Last edited:
I don't have any social media accounts. I take part in a couple of forums to share info but that is about it.

Just a cell phone and email. Life is as complicated as you make it....
coffee2.gif

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
People are sooo concerned about self promoting themselves on Facebook and other social media websites portraying a wonderful life.

Yeah it's sickening... When I'm on there to see pictures of my niece or to look at a message from family etc., I constantly get the "This person is live" and the video preview window pops up. WHO CARES! I just shake my head.

And if I get tagged on someones dinner one more time I'm gonna scream. Like yeah, I like food and all but I don't care to see your dinner every night of the week.
smirk2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mr Nice
People are sooo concerned about self promoting themselves on Facebook and other social media websites portraying a wonderful life.

Self promotion done right on social media is a great money maker for the savvy user.

I do my part to limit my exposure more then the average person but I do make full use of the internet and my computers (also in reply to Steve C above) I have nothing to hide but its principle, Google, Facebook, Amazon ect are massive profit making machines, unseen since the beginning of mankind making money off other peoples information. It blows my mind :eek:)

They are terrible. I don't bother with the vast bulk of it.

Mr Nice is right. People want an easy to see, fake autobiography.

Does Amazon have a social media side?
Some employers asked employees to make a Facebook account .
Whatever your settings on your smartphone, data collected, even in Airplane mode.
Have fun kids.

Originally Posted by 555
Whatever your settings on your smartphone, data collected, even in Airplane mode.
Have fun kids.

Amazon has no social media site, it does have review sites, user accounts and a massive data collector on you and your family, including Amazon Echo which knows every move and conversation in your home.

It even uses AI as you shop Amazon, adjusting prices on what you may pay for a product for highest possible profit.
Amazon prices are not fixed, they change moment to moment in many cases.

People are morons if they let their workplace into their Facebook account or become friends with their workplace or link their name in anyway to their workplace on Facebook. I should not use the word moron, better said, dont link your personal information to your workplace unless you want your family and yourself to be in bed with your company on a daily basis.

Using data saver GREATLY reduces the amount of data transferred from your phone as you are out and about, off wifi.
Greatly increases battery life and many, many settings on your phone to limit more.

Or like most people, one can just let these MEGA companies roll over them and their families without trying to slow them down and stop them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 555
Have fun kids.

Amazon has no social media site, it does have review sites, user accounts and a massive data collector on you and your family, including Amazon Echo which knows every move and conversation in your home.

However, Amazon is one of those "players" with whom social media mega-companies buy and sell your information. Search for "some given product" on Amazon and then log into your Facebook account and you'll likely begin seeing ads for "some given product".

It is NOT just the activity you conduct **at** the social media site that becomes data for the social media site: It is anywhere else you are who uses that socials media sites' API (application programming interface); so if you're at some random site who uses Facebook comments, Facebook is collecting info about where you were, what you looked at and what you typed; eg. Go to a sports site that uses Facebook comments and begin arguing with a Yankees fan about how awesome the Red Sox are and note how soon you begin seeing ads for Red Sox merchandise and stories and posts relating to the Red Sox on your Facebook feed.

Facebook,where burned out middle aged hags who think they're still in high school make duckfaces thinking they're hot.

I joined about a year ago due to pressure from so called Friends.

Looking at the feeds, it seems there is a whole bunch of 'Look at me, my life is so great' but when you talk to them on the phone their lives are a never ending series of disasters and woe is me type of tales, basically their FB posts are complete lies compared with their real lives.

I am now ostracized because I refuse to click the like or thumbs up and never contribute or update my own page, and regret joining.

I can see the benefits of keeping in slight touch with friends and relatives, and I do take joy in denying friend requests of people who were never my friends, or deleteing 'recommendations' of people who I would never want as a friend, due to the 'look at me' mindset, or the ducklips of the criminally insane .

I like Messenger, and the ability to send and receive full size photos and communicate texts with those overseas, but FB itelf seems to do nothing but confirm my dislike of humanity, and current cultural norms, in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back