The bellweather stock I will watch to see how the US and global economy is doing

I don't see it that way. There will always be frugal wealthy people and extravagant poor people. People living well within their means and people living in debt. There is that guy at work that has a fancy new car and fancy clothes and the guy at work that brings his lunch everyday and drives a hoopti. You know who's got more money in the bank.
Not really - you don't know how much he is paying in child support or if he has an online gambling passion.

Perception is not always the reality

Last edited:
I just spent $150 for at Cooper's Hawk... Dating is expensive!

Stay single guys, it's cheaper!
If that wasn't an anniversary or birthday dinner either you either need to pick your restaurants better or your women better ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Pew

So glad I got my dating done in college, it was much easier to be a cheap date back then.

Not really - you don't know how much he is paying in child support or if he has an online gambling passion.

Perception is not always the reality
That works both ways and proves my point. You can't assume that the folks spending money at Starbucks are part of the higher wealth tier.

You still dating Brittany? If so I think you go off pretty cheap.

Britney-Spears.jpg

That works both ways and proves my point. You can't assume that the folks spending money at Starbucks are part of the higher wealth tier.
Not really. That's the difference microeconomics and macroeconomics.

Gon is saying in the OP he is just using this particular stock as a bellweather.

Interesting my wife and I went to dinner with a few couples last night they all complaining about economy and price of there health insurance that just got notified it's going up 11%. But we at a nice packed restaurant bill was $900 and all drove home in there $90 k car to there million dollar house. Crying with two loaves of bread under there arm.
Totally get what you’re saying. My friend complains about inflation every single day, and the economy, but his investments are up 20% for the year, he’s making more money than he ever has, and he vacations five times a year. His wife also owns a business and she comments about how much she has raised her prices and is enjoying the extra income. I’m in the same boat. And for all the complaining about fuel prices, I can’t tell you how many $70,000 luxurious pickup trucks blast past me on the highway every morning doing 90 mph, getting 15 mpg.

Totally get what you’re saying. My friend complains about inflation every single day, and the economy, but his investments are up 20% for the year, he’s making more money than he ever has, and he vacations five times a year. His wife also owns a business and she comments about how much she has raised her prices and is enjoying the extra income. I’m in the same boat. And for all the complaining about fuel prices, I can’t tell you how many $70,000 luxurious pickup trucks blast past me on the highway every morning doing 90 mph, getting 15 mpg.
Glad inflation is a boom for you. Might want to look through eyes other than your own.

For many senior citizens, often some of the most vulnerable of adult Americans that can't change their situation, are crushed by the change in their buying power. This change is not a result of their doing.

Glad inflation is a boom for you. Might want to look through eyes other than your own.

For many senior citizens, often some of the most vulnerable of adult Americans that can't change their situation, are crushed by the change in their buying power. This change is not a result of their doing.
It’s not a boom for me. I get what you’re saying, and I probably should have been more clear...I don’t own a business. I’m not raising prices and profiting from it, and then bragging about it. When I said I’m in the same boat, I meant that I too complain about inflation, and yet I still go out and spend money/save money/live my life. I’m not retired so I’m living/working through this.

So basically, your friend was able to break even in real terms.

Gon,

Would be interested to hear more on this. Are you talking about those solely or mostly relying on SS, or the population as a whole? I often wonder how many plan for retirement without accounting for the fact that over the course of time between hanging up the hat and death (let's call it 20 years for most) expenses are surely to increase with even normal inflationary adjustments. This needs to be considered in the planning process for fixed incomes.

It’s not a boom for me. I get what you’re saying, and I probably should have been more clear...I don’t own a business. I’m not raising prices and profiting from it, and then bragging about it. When I said I’m in the same boat, I meant that I too complain about inflation, and yet I still go out and spend money/save money/live my life. I’m not retired so I’m living/working through this.
All is well,.sorry if my post came across as harsh. Inflation is avoidable, and hurts a lot of people.

Many of the people who spend $6 a day at Starbucks would be much wiser to put that $180 a month into a retirement or investment account. That's my barometer reading. Some economy we have. I just paid $6.59 a gallon for freaking K1 kerosene.
Maybe that's what they were doing most of their life and now they are enjoying the fruit of their labor and investing.

Gon,

Would be interested to hear more on this. Are you talking about those solely or mostly relying on SS, or the population as a whole? I often wonder how many plan for retirement without accounting for the fact that over the course of time between hanging up the hat and death (let's call it 20 years for most) expenses are surely to increase with even normal inflationary adjustments. This needs to be considered in the planning process for fixed incomes.
The investment gurus do preach saving a lot of money for retirement. Like 10 times your salary when you retire. Health care eats up a lot of retirement money. More than some planned.

This stock market has been going sideways for almost 4 years now. I’m not sure if I like it or not but I’m getting used to it so won’t mind if it stays this way.
Pretty much everything is a rotation and reasonable money to be made speculating on categories or just safety of solid companies.

My biggest wonder is, are we building a strong base or will we be a sideways “Japan” scenario for one to two decades.
I only wonder the sideways thing because of the unprecedented amount of national debt that still is unrestrained
Boomers are retiring and cashing out their IRAs for... cash. I mused, about a decade ago, that this would happen, there'd be plenty of jobs, but they'd be sucky service jobs. And... yeah.

Leo99,

I know a person that spent 2 months in the hospital and $3M medical bill.

No joke.

Back