The ARX went in today in my '95 Civic!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
At 52,586 oh-ridge-yawn-all miles. It will be very interesting to see the results...

I bought the car with only 33K miles on it two years ago, been running M1 10W-30 (5W-30 in the winter months). I think the greatest benefit with ARX in an engine with such few miles for its age is the cleaning of the ring packs. Of course, cleaning the rest of the engine won't hurt either.

This will also give me a chance to use up some Chevron 10W-30 dino for the rinse phase that I've had around for about three years. Also get to use up the Frams that remain...

I do have a question, however-

Since I'm running synthetic oil in it now with the ARX, should I increase the cleaning miles to 2500-3000 as opposed to 1500? Would it hurt if I did? I know there was some revision of the cleaning cycle a while back. Thank you in advance.

Personally, this engine looks quite clean when peeking down the oil filler hole (there's no baffle in this particular engine).

At least 1500 miles but possibly more, say 2000 to 3000, if no harm were done.

Funny thing also but it may be a placebo effect- the valvetrain seems somewhat quieter after only about a 20 mile drive with ARX in...

I ran my cleaning up to 4k. I just hate seeing good oil goto waste. If you are worried, you can swap out oil filters at around 1500 miles.

Just completed the cleaning phase 1588 miles on honda 2.2 liter 1996 model with 77,000 miles. Have about 300 miles on rinse now, will repeat cleaning at 80,000 miles. So far no major noticeable changes in oil color or spots from dipstick. Hoping to clean crusty deposits that have formed inside the valve cover near the oil fill and pcv hole. Good luck with your 95 honda!

Just follow the instructions. If you run synthetic the clean phase is 1500 miles. It is easy.

Well, I think I'll leave the ARX in for about 2000 to 2500 miles- that would coincide with the semi-regular oil change interval I use, 4000-5000 miles or six months. The Chevron Supreme 10W-30 dino will go in for the rinse, then I think I'll run 90% M1 5W-20 and 10% VSOT for the first post-rinse oil.

I used that nifty Shell viscosity calculator that someone linked to here on BITOG and (hopefully) I did it right- this 90/10 combo should be a good 30-weight oil at 100 degrees Celsius.

Thanks to all!

UPDATE: at 56,799 miles the rinse phase with Chevron Supreme 10W-30 dino was completed. Filled the crankcase with AMSOIL 5W-30 and put a nice shiny Wix 51344 filter on it too.

The car does run notably smoother and the mileage appears to have gone up about 0.5 MPG or so. Also, looking into the oil filler hole at the valvetrain (this car is sans baffle), everything sure looks purdy!

Makes me want to donate another fifty bucks to BITOG...!!!

Above post"Leaving it (Auto-Rx ) in longer won't hurt anything" Thats dead wrong, Auto-Rx is chemistry not some off the shelf one size fits all potion. Change the filter at 1500 miles and top off your oil if you think you can squeeze more "cleaning" out of 1 bottle.

Auto-Rx chemistry is formulated to clean over
1500 miles (12 ounces) thats it.

For everyone's info, I went 1627 miles on the cleaning phase, 2586 miles for the rinse phase. Just for info only; 1627 IMO is close enough to 1500 for me. If it were 16270 miles, well...

ARX is skookum stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back