Tesla fires hundreds of workers at HQ and factory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Originally Posted By: edwardh1
how do the Japanese handle layoffs in America?

Honda likes to brag that it's never had a layoff in its decades of operations centered around Marysville, Oh.
Marysville is also home to the state's oldest and largest female prison, with more than 2000 inmates at present.

I thought Honda in Ohio and BMW in South Carolina used staffing agencies for hiring new workers for factory?
They can easily increase and decrease workers depending on manufacturing demands.

In manufacturing it's common to have labor unions and some companies are anti union.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
FWIW, my new boss has the Tesla SUV and I've been in it. Aside from some of the neat features of the rear doors opening upwards like a space ship, the ultra high windshield line, the super quiet performance and immediate "go" it's really not worth the enormous price tag. Now he drives it because his brother drives a Porsche SUV because they can both afford to do so but I wouldn't give you that price tag for what you get.

Although the giant screen in the middle of the dash is pretty cool when it has the map showing on it.

I just don't see the vehicles being practical, a good value for the price paid and what you get. Further other manufacturers have more time in the game and will crush them when electric vehicles become mainstream.

That was essentially the position I came away with when I reviewed the Model S of one of my docs a while back on here.

Originally Posted By: Rat407
What gets me is if more electric vehicles become mainstream in the near future, someone better get on the band wagon and start installing charging stations throughout the country. So far the only ones I see are Tesla and a few that are at Whole Foods stores.

Put out a bunch of electric vehicles but no infrastructure to support them isn't going to work out well.

I think this is a function of your government. Ours is putting them all over the place on major highways. It has inspired lots of gas stations, hotels and restaurants to do the same. You pay per use but it's so minuscule it's a joke.

What gets me is if more electric vehicles become mainstream in the near future, someone better get on the band wagon and start installing charging stations throughout the country. So far the only ones I see are Tesla and a few that are at Whole Foods stores.

Put out a bunch of electric vehicles but no infrastructure to support them isn't going to work out well.

I think this is a function of your government. Ours is putting them all over the place on major highways. It has inspired lots of gas stations, hotels and restaurants to do the same. You pay per use but it's so minuscule it's a joke.

Yup, and based on the disaster we've created in the province of the electricity system, once major penetration happens, you'll see that charge skyrocket IMHO.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Tesla fires hundreds of employees at headquarters and factory.
Why do this if they are behind schedule to deliver cars ?

Friend of mine took delivery of one at the Fremont plant in 2013; the place was a zoo, although the car itself has been more than OK.
Elon, Henry, and the mastery of manufacturing, published last May by SAE offers interesting insights.

Kevin

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Yup, and based on the disaster we've created in the province of the electricity system, once major penetration happens, you'll see that charge skyrocket IMHO.

The disaster was created by Mike Harris long before this government. They simply added to the mess.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

The disaster was created by Mike Harris long before this government. They simply added to the mess.

The disassembly of the Ontario Hydro monolith began under Harris, but the rate increases directly tied to the boondoggle that has been the GEA all came under McGuinty and Wynne. So while Harris may have built the ship, it is those two who took it out of port and sailed it into the iceberg.

Yes … we had very similar prisons … but urban sprawl caught up and they have (in the most visible cases) sold the former farm land for an attractive price …

Companies watch Google earth these days for what is left of suitable land mass
(near enough to air/rail/other transportation etc)

There has long been rumors of Disney holding big acreage in the general Houston area …

danno called it 2 years ago....see comments section.

smirk.gif

http://www.carscoops.com/2016/04/tesla-needs-cash-injection-to-deliver.html

We have two such prisons in OH that have a lot of farm acreage in an area that's been developing pretty heavily over the past ten years or so.
The current state budget has provisions allowing for the sale or lease of state prison farmland.
You can see where this is going to go.

I wonder how much the Tesla workers make hourly assembling vehicles?

From what I was able to find in a search, the factory hourly workers are paid $17-$21/hr.
Thus would be an okay wage level for a non-union shop operating in an old GM plant in OH but is low by CA standards.
This would explain why a number of the workers appear to be reaching out to the UAW for representation.
I don't know how accurate these numbers are either.
If anyone can come up with better numbers, I'd be happy to see them.

That's low pay for California considering it's very expensive to live there.

I agree the workers need to contact the UAW...

Someone I am acquainted with loosely took a job earlier this year, salaried I believe, at some big Tesla battery plant near Reno Nevada. Will this job shrinkage effect that battery plant?

Probably because Teslas are starting to look like old Hyundais. They really need an update. The shock and awe is long gone in CA. Also forming a Union is no longer so easy. Anti worker government officials starting with Reagan have made sure of that.

Why is it such a big deal? Tesla has been hiring like crazy for the past several years and now they fire few hundred people, big whoop.
I'm no Musk's fan boy and Tesla's reliance on gov. money is a big concern, but one would expect more people would be rooting for the home team since other manufacturers take extremely large sums of money from the gov. as well. I'm also pretty sure that people working for Tesla appropriate having a job and don't want to see them gone.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
"Openly pro-union workers were among those fired this week. Some believe they were targeted."

There you have it. Musk runs a tight ship, and he doesn't want Union thugs bossing him around. You want a union? Fine, but it will be at your next job. You're fired.

Then he's a two-faced moron hypocrite. Isn't he?

A corporation no different than any other today. Profits before people. Another example.
frown.gif

No, not really. More: profits before [censored]. Or no profits at all...

Originally Posted By: ag_ghost
Tesla fires hundreds of employees at headquarters and factory.
Why do this if they are behind schedule to deliver cars ?

Friend of mine took delivery of one at the Fremont plant in 2013; the place was a zoo, although the car itself has been more than OK.
Elon, Henry, and the mastery of manufacturing, published last May by SAE offers interesting insights.

Kevin

From the article: "because they haven’t yet proved they’re capable of big volumes. When they increase product complexity and volume at the Fremont plant it stumbles in end-of-line quality. Product is delayed. They’re still teething while talking like they’re big boys".

This is the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back