Tesla Christmas Road Trip - Battery needed frequent re-charging - Range Estimates were 50% to 69% off

Your problem is that you're taking mature approach taking the nuances into consideration.
This will mean nothing to those who tout as fact what is no more than an example of a user taking a trip in a car he has zero knowledge of with no prior planning.
As the old saying goes, when you fail to plan you plan to fail.
Worked great for this TV personality.

I've taken interest in some of the details of doing stuff without serious advanced planning, nor a look at any backup plans. Obviously Iron Chef was interesting as well as cooking videos done without a recipe. I took interest in someone who was dropped in a foreign country with maybe $10 in his pocket. But that's just for fun. If I have an EV I'm going plan the heck out of any long trip. I do that with any vehicle I take.

The vast majority of people are not interested in some learning curve, following some screen to find someplace to charge it on the road, they want to get in start it and drive it as far or short as they want and tank it when it needs it at one of the 160,000 gasoline stations. They also have no interest in plugging it in every night.
You might be surprised...

That's the strangest comment I've seen given that almost everyone these days has a cell phone and knows why it makes sense to charge it every night. Of all the things to complain about EVs, why would charging it every night be something that would deter anyone?

No he won’t.

There is nothing more thrilling than thinking whether you have enough juice to do 132mls on I70 in Utah without any services. Once you miss single gas station, next service is additional 40mls.
99% of people are exactly what @Trav described. They sit, turn on the car, and tray to run me over with their dead cold oil in the sump. I cringe, thinking what will that do to their engine, but for some reason, they don’t give a crap about it.

That's the strangest comment I've seen given that almost everyone these days has a cell phone and knows why it makes sense to charge it every night. Of all the things to complain about EVs, why would charging it every night be something that would deter anyone?
The primary anti EV members here will seize on anything to make them seem impractical and undesirable.
Most of us can use our cognitive skills to look beyond this.

Generally true, but reality has a way of chewing away at the range estimates. Especially when it is really cold.

I've found that I like to go fast. Anyone who has done a fast road trip in an EV knows you won't make the predicted supercharger.

Did a West Palm Beach to Miami and back road trip, 200 miles, in a Model S. BARELY made it back. Something like 4% remaining. Had to go stupidly slow when it became clear it was not possible at typical speeds.

To do my round trip properly, it would require careful speed management in the right lane.
On this I will say I have to blame the company. I have driven/owned a couple different PHEV's , since 2015, and after the a couple of charges OR if on a long trip, after 50-60 miles the GOM (guess O Meter) for the electric miles was very close. I have a few neighbors and friends that own Tesla's, and there is not a single one that can get close to 85% of the predicted range after a charge. But wait, Tesla is being sued for falsify range at or near a full change. Now, if you had a model Y on order you have to go back in the system and confirm that you will accept a lower range then what you thought you were getting online and both the S and X have had their ranges lowered, I wonder why?? OK, enough said and off my soapbox.

The primary anti EV members here will seize on anything to make them seem impractical and undesirable.
Most of us can use our cognitive skills to look beyond this.

There's a ton of misinformation out there too. I found this from a Kia dealer in Victoria, BC.

The general rule of thumb is to plug in and charge whenever you can, but not every time you drive. That may mean plugging your car in semi-nightly to maintain a reasonable level of charge depending on your commute. Or, if you are without a home charger, that may mean regular charging when you are able.​

It's strange because they don't mention scheduled charging and make a claim that somehow charging every day is a bad idea. They do mention perhaps limiting the charge limit though. And the big thing is that leaving an EV connected to power (when not charging) provides that power so the battery have to be drained for all the ancillary stuff.

When scheduled charging is set, charging is not initiated immediately when the AC charger or portable charger (ICCB: In-Cable Control Box) is connected.​

pretty well said, the video are recorded facts about a electric vehicle car trip. The discussion that follows are people making excuses for the facts and trying to discredit them but you can’t discredit facts 🤗
You're better than this. What happened?

Just weird to hear the argument that driving an electric car is different than an ICE car…from a motorcycle rider!

You're better than this. What happened?
I guess you are reading something wrong in my reply. One just needs to read through the posts starting on page 1.
My post is an honest post about excuses being laid and blame placed on the driver of the car and news organization that did a long distance factual road test. Ive posted all this through the pages if you read through them.
More or less blame placed on the people doing the test and not the vehicle for failing. Of course completely meritless.

I guess you are reading something wrong in my reply. One just needs to read through the posts starting on page 1.
My post is an honest post about excuses being laid and blame placed on the driver of the car and news organization that did a long distance factual road test. Ive posted all this through the pages if you read through them.
More or less blame placed on the people doing the test and not the vehicle for failing. Of course completely meritless.
I think the initial video is utter BS. I've read the whole thread. That's why I posted what I did and then planned on taking a long break, but I realized I wasn't being fair to some so I came back to read to make sure I didn't miss something. I think you're giving it too much credence. He even said he didn't know what he was doing.

Look, if you want a reason to hate EVs keep watching BS that helps you arrive there. It's called confirmation bias. You've convinced yourself of what they wanted to convince you of. I don't know what else to tell you. I feel like my original post still stands and if this is the continuous crap the EV forum is going to be here I think I'm out. There's no point in this.

I think the initial video is utter BS. I've read the whole thread. That's why I posted what I did and then planned on taking a long break, but I realized I wasn't being fair to some so I came back to read to make sure I didn't miss something. I think you're giving it too much credence. He even said he didn't know what he was doing.

Look, if you want a reason to hate EVs keep watching BS that helps you arrive there. It's called confirmation bias. You've convinced yourself of what they wanted to convince you of. I don't know what else to tell you. I feel like my original post still stands and if this is the continuous crap the EV forum is going to be here I think I'm out. There's no point in this.
Im surprised at your response, I cant help you nor have a discussion with you.

That is long gone. 2035 is dropped by most pro EV countries.
ICE isn't going away. I don't believe it for a second. I think even California will walk it back. There will be plenty of EVs for those that want them, but rest assured no one is getting forced to drive them. You all don't have to convince yourselves and by default have to try and convince others that EVs suck. You can believe it, keep it to yourself, and buy whatever you like. Emissions will continue to tighten as they always have. We'll lose V8s for awhile until some new tech improves that brings them back. Aren't we seeing the end of the 3rd wave of muscle cars now? I'm sure we'll see something else too. That's happened as the EPA continues to crack down.

(To the whole crowd)
Again, you all don't need to tells us that EVs are crap. Those that like them don't really care and you're wasting your breath. If you all want to argue and I'm on my day off, I've got time. Neither one of us are going to walk away happy though. I spend time on this site for multiple reasons and the smallest amount of that time since I joined has been on EVs. I'm a car enthusiast. You don't need to pee in my Cheerios because I bought a Tesla. Is it unsatisfying to hear if you don't like it, don't buy it? How long does this argument need to be had?

I really thought the EV forum would be to talk about EVs in general. Not have an anti EV political rally against them.

"Sales of Tesla cars in Germany, home to its only European manufacturing plant, plunged a breathtaking 77% in December year on year according to government data, capping off a disastrous fourth quarter in its largest market in the region.

Normally Tesla expects to increase monthly sales not just on an annual basis—which is typically a given—but even sequentially, in other words from one period to the next. This kind of hyperbolic growth is how it justifies a $750 billion market value on par with its next nine largest rivals combined.

A year-on-year sales decline for Musk’s carmaker is therefore an unusual occurrence to say the least, let alone one as severe as December's."

With the Highland release months ago for the European sales SHOULD be picking up yet a 77% market drop is huge. Maybe a fluke, or is it only signs of things to come? Face it Musk mocked the ceo of BYD a few years ago about how "They'd never see any significant market share. " well they've made significant headway in the Asian and European markets.

Back