TELSA replaces rear view mirrors with camera

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read yesterday that TELSA motors plans to replace outside rear view mirrors with cameras to reduce wind resistance and increase mileage.

A few years back I read about a guy that was experimenting with aero mods to increase mileage, and removing the rear view mirrors got a bigger change than most other mods, 3-5 mpg.

I guess the inside mirror can remain. I can see on big rigs or other vehicles that have large rear view mirrors this could make some difference, but I wonder if on a typical car the result would be the same.

3-5 MPG seems a lot with the newer style aero mirrors. I can see it maybe in some extreme case like a high MPG car with big flat towing mirrors maybe.

Originally Posted By: Trav
3-5 MPG seems a lot with the newer style aero mirrors. I can see it maybe in some extreme case like a high MPG car with big flat towing mirrors maybe.

+1

The guy was doing mods on a Geo metro hatchback. He removed one mirror at a time.

He had a web site for his mods, but I don't know the URL.

Originally Posted By: datech

The guy was doing mods on a Geo metro hatchback. He removed one mirror at a time.

He had a web site for his mods, but I don't know the URL.

1.7 MPG. It sounds like that possibly within statistical noise on a 55 MPG vehicle but who knows.

http://metrompg.com/posts/mirrors.htm

I guess TELSA is figuring as the cameras will be mandatory anyway

The first car I owned only had one side mirror ( it did have two taillights, though).

I could see this for trucks with big mirrors that have trouble seeing behind them anyway. A lot of motorhomes use them.

Originally Posted By: datech
I guess TELSA is figuring as the cameras will be mandatory anyway

The first car I owned only had one side mirror ( it did have two taillights, though).

I could see this for trucks with big mirrors that have trouble seeing behind them anyway. A lot of motorhomes use them.

I've had several cars with no side mirrors. I added them to some.

If they replace the mirrors the camera would have to be operational driving down the road (*in forward gears, as well as reverse).

I guess that would mean a dedicated video monitor somewhere.

When you look in a rear view mirror everything is reversed, and I guess we get used to that. Would the camera be reversed?

Originally Posted By: Vikas
what is TELSA? Is it built in OLKahoma?

Well, I guess you're insinuating that I misspelled Tlesa?

I cain't hep it if I spel things the way I tawk.

I love do-no-wrong Tesla news.

The Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers (which includes every major automaker except for Honda and Nissan) has had this type of regulatory change on their agenda for years. It became even more important with the announced tightening of CAFE standards.

Elon Musk mentions it and all of a sudden "TESLA LEADING THE CHARGE FOR MIRRORLESS CARS!" is the headline.

Whatever. If it takes Tesla to get the regulations changed, good. Of course, VAG, MB, and numerous lighting suppliers has been seriously petitioning to have our country's antique lighting standards modernized for years with no headway. Getting any type of change is an uphill battle. It's not like Tesla can snap their fingers and have regulations changed at will.

I've seen some really cool CFD analysis of this exact question before, and it's a bigger improvement than you'd think--even with a well-shaped mirror. I think the main reason isn't necessarily the drag of the mirror in isolation, but the interruption of laminar flow on the side of the car (which is normally quite good). So, the best placement would be either really far out on a thin stem (not good for city driving!) or eliminated completely.

Aerodynamics and their interactions are tricky! The nice thing is that CFD software has gotten so good that the actual effects can be estimated pretty precisely. From what I remember, removing two well-shaped mirrors can decrease fuel consumption by about 5%, which is pretty significant.

Wonder if anyone promoting the cameras actually take into account that the weather is not the same across the country? The back up camera for my Silverado is just about worthless 50% of the time due to dirt (from living on a gravel road) or ice and snow, due to living in the northern tier. I am not all that comfortable with the rear view mirrors being only camera. I would be limited to only the view angle of the camera. I sure hope that the rear view mirror as being done by camera doesn't become main stream.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Wonder if anyone promoting the cameras actually take into account that the weather is not the same across the country? The back up camera for my Silverado is just about worthless 50% of the time due to dirt (from living on a gravel road) or ice and snow, due to living in the northern tier.

If your camera is dirty or snow covered, I'm going to guess your rear window would be, too. Having lived most of my life in Alaska (before moving to CA), I can say that cleaning a tiny camera lens is much easier than scraping ice/snow off a rear window (though you'd obviously have to do both the camera and window). Maybe a camera washer/wiper the way some have headlight washer/wipers?

Although, having lived on dirt/gravel roads and having experienced snow past the hood of my truck back in AK, I have to say my camera never required cleaning / clearing up in AK beyond what was done at an occasional carwash (and that wasn't done much, if at all, in the winter). So I guess it depends on the placement/angle of the camera, too.

Originally Posted By: moving2
If your camera is dirty or snow covered, I'm going to guess your rear window would be, too.

And under the right weather conditions, side mirrors are just as bad, if not worse. The only vehicle with which I never had such problems was my 1990 Town Car, which had mirror heaters that were activated whenever the rear defroster was on.

As you say, if a camera lens is frosted or mucked over, it won't be the only thing frosted or mucked over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back