Tecumseh 8 hp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got a tecumseh 8 hp from northern tool. It starts and runs but can not shut it off. Had to manually push choke lever in. I connected the throttle cable to the linkage and made the adjustments and it still didn't shut off. I took the cable off and tried it by hand and no change. I have no idea why this engine does not have an engine shutoff. Could this be a defect? They are sending me a new engine. Any thoughts??

that is strange, most Tecumseh's won't run much less shut off!! does it have an oil pressre switch on it? if so then you need to hook it up to an ignition type switch, as when it reaches 0 pressure, or is shorted to ground the engine will shut down. this is only one method, tell us more about the engine IE what is it being used for?

"On the 10Hp Tecumseh for my Emergency Power Generator, the kill switch is simply a ground strap pressed against the spark plug. Not high-tech but it works."

Yep, the strap (simple bent piece of spring steel) sometimes has a tiny barb on it to pierce the spark plug boot for a better ground. Simply press it against the boot and hold it there until the motor quits.
smile.gif

--- Bror Jace

Just thought of something else.

On some engines there is a separate magneto wire that connects to the throttle assembly. In the shutoff position, this wire gets grounded which shuts down the magneto current. See if this wire may have come loose from the throttle assembly.

Normally, its just a solid wire stripped back and clips under a Fahnastok clip, a little U-shaped clip.

[ September 26, 2003, 10:58 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

Locate the maneto wire and ground it when you want to shut off the engine,
or ground the sparkplug.

On the 10 Hp Tecumseh for my Emergency Power Generator, the kill switch is simply a ground strap pressed against the spark plug. Not high-tech but it works.

[ September 26, 2003, 12:11 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back