Techron the best injector cleaner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Several different mechanics highly recommended 44K to me. I've used 44K, Redline, and Techron. Good luck with your problem! I hope you are able to mitigate it.

Respectfully,

Pajero

I buy Chevron gasoline. No injector problems in the 32 years I've owned FI engines.

Originally Posted By: MaDMaXX

First product = Techron Concentrate?
Last three products = Gumout Regane? - other two?

Correct on the first product, the last three were Gumout Regane, Gumout Regane High Mileage, and Gumout All In One.

Originally Posted By: MaDMaXX
It appears the stuff Costco sell is the Fuel Injector cleaner (not concentrate or 'system' cleaner)

This is the SDS for it, but it either doesn't have PEA in it, or it's not contained in this document somehow?
https://cglapps.chevron.com/msdspds/SDSDetailPage.aspx?docDataId=426811&docFormat=PDF

For reference, here is the Pro Gard - also doesn't contain PEA in the SDS.
https://cglapps.chevron.com/msdspds/SDSDetailPage.aspx?docDataId=435401&docFormat=PDF

I'm assuming at least one of the "trade secret" substances is some form of PEA, so I think both of those products are 8% or less PEA.
I think I should have said earlier that Techron Concentrate is 30-65% PEA by my interpretation of its SDS...

Last edited:
I still can't interpret the current Techron Concentrate MSDS, i guess i'm only looking for PEA
frown.gif

So far, it really does look like Redline or possibly the aforementioned Techron Concentrate are the safest bets for a good cleaning (not specifically talking about the TSX issue here)

Speaking of the TSX..... I'm thinking that if i'm bringing the injectors out to move them around, why not just do a 'home cleaning' on them? I have some Bilt Hamber Surfex (google it) which was the only thing that un-gummed some carb jets after a parts washer soaking for two weeks did nothing.

Originally Posted By: Pajero
Several different mechanics highly recommended 44K to me. I've used 44K, Redline, and Techron. Good luck with your problem! I hope you are able to mitigate it.

Respectfully,

Pajero

Yup BG44K is what I use!

I use the Techron Fuel System Cleaner or Gumout Regane High Mileage Fuel System Cleaner every 3 thousand miles in my Acura & Ram. Acura gets 93 octane gas all year round & Ram gets 87 octane gas all year round. Try running back to back tanks with either of the Fuel System Cleaners or the Redline S1.

Those videos by Chris fix are really not very representative of what those products can really do. The valves is where the most "cleaning" is going to happen. The combustion chamber is not going to do a whole lot of changing. I do think that the videos made by Chris are interesting and I appreciate his time and efforts in making them.

Gasoline itself is a solvent and if the engine is running properly I have never seen build-up on valves where the gasoline is sprayed directly across it. 0. Not even with carburetor. If you are getting build-up something somewhere else is not right or it's a poor design causing the problem.

Also if it's not showing fantastically wild results in the combustion chamber then you might as well just spray standard gasoline across the valves because it will have the same effect.

Real world experiences of seeing many engines apart for repair, rebuild etc.

I should add though the reason fuel additives are beneficial is for injectors and jet cleaning in carbs.

Last edited:
One thing is that the valves are not exposed to direct combustion process. Indirect yes. But not direct. Valves can get gunky from poor gasoline. That's why the whole top tier stuff started. The amounts of gunk on valves was greatly reduced by additives. Direct correlation there in all likelihood. Yes I'm well aware gas is a solvent in and of itself. Again, good bad or indifferent Chris's videos are not going to show the most benefit of using Techron or Gumout.
I'm not trying to give you a hard time here at all. Not trying to be a horse's rear end either. Just not buying Chris's videos as the end all and be all evaluation of these products.

Last edited:
Top-Tier fuel was primarily for injectors not valves/combustion chambers although it does have some benefit there as well.

Last edited:
And i did start the thread for injector cleaning etc.

Chris does point out, as an aside at least, that some of the cleaners he tested might work great on the injectors, he was only able to test the combustion chamber, still interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back