Techron: Before or After

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by csandste
With a thousand miles left on my OCI, I'm gonna throw some Techron in tomorrow. Hold my beer.

...‚...‚...‚

Originally Posted by Sayjac
Though I couldn't tell you if there's a significant difference in results, the general recommendation is add to a near empty tank and fill with gas. Then drive till tank near empty again. Might as well go with recommendation.

Use several bottles in several tankfulls. It takes a while, but the stuff does work.

Originally Posted by CT8
The secret is to pour it in with your left hand.

banana2.gif

Originally Posted by billt460
Though I couldn't tell you if there's a significant difference in results, the general recommendation is add to a near empty tank and fill with gas. Then drive till tank near empty again. Might as well go with recommendation.

Use several bottles in several tankfulls. It takes a while, but the stuff does work.

I think Shell claims a 70% reduction in valve deposits after 4.5k miles with it's Nitro+ grade gas.. and Chevron claims a similar reduction after 2500 miles using the higher concentration Techron system cleaner additive. Both say they test to an ASTM measuring carbon deposit buildup/reduction. I think they run a virgin engine on a dyno for like 10k miles on regular gas (not TT), tear it down and weigh the valves and put it back together than run it (using same regular gas + additives this time) for however many miles than tear it down again and weigh the valves.

Last edited:
Will it hurt to add a little more than recommended? I'm using two 12 ounce bottles in 19.5 and 17.5 gallon gas tanks. I don't want to deal with the small amount left in the bottle.

Originally Posted by TheLawnRanger
Will it hurt to add a little more than recommended? I'm using two 12 ounce bottles in 19.5 and 17.5 gallon gas tanks. I don't want to deal with the small amount left in the bottle.

Not at all. I've used 2 large bottles in each of my F-150's dual tanks. They hold around 16 gallons each. It's better to run it richer, than more diluted. It works better.

Originally Posted by TheLawnRanger

Not at all. I've used 2 large bottles in each of my F-150's dual tanks. They hold around 16 gallons each. It's better to run it richer, than more diluted. It works better.

Same here..i have just over a 20gl tank and I regularly use 2 x 12oz bottles. Hasn't hurt anything that I can see, besides my wallet ...‚

Techron and Gumout can both be had on sale quite often. So watch for discounts on the stuff, then buy a large amount. It won't go bad, and you'll always have it on hand. Wal-Mart has both. (I've found Techron to be a bit more economical if purchased in the larger sized bottles).

I was referring to the order in which the treatment was added, not it's use in general.

The 20oz bottle of Techron and Gumout High Mileage CFSC are my two favorites. I usually buy Techron when on bogo and combined with rebate. Gumout everyday price at WM good, a little better on roll back. Whichever, I use them in the order referenced.

Originally Posted by CT8
The secret is to pour it in with your left hand.

No wonder I've never noticed a difference after using this, I've been putting it in with my right hand!

I use Gumout Fuel System Cleaner and Techron interchangeably ... I always use top tier gas (which helps) keep engines cleaner - it appears though based on percentage of PEA contained that Techron may be the stronger of the two .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back