TCW3 vs. API-TC. What is AIO?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its a low ash api tc, jaso fc, iso egd oil as labeled on the bottle in front of me. I would use it in a sea doo with out reservation.

Thank you. Better answer than the MOBIL tech department. I know it isn't injector oil but you say you've had good luck with it. What is the difference between injector and pre mix oil? Is it simply thinner to allow easy pumping?

"What is the difference between injector and pre mix oil? Is it simply thinner to allow easy pumping?"

Yes,usually loaded up with solvent.

Just an aside here. I use MX2t in my bikes and have finally determined that MX2t gives the longest engine life of any oil I have ever used.

I have been on a 30 Hour cycle with my Husky for years. The MX2t is working so well that even at 34 hours the engine still has perfect compression. Which by the way disappears when the rings wear on the exhaust bridge.

In conclusion I am seeing as much compression at 34 hours as I used to see at 5.

Chris

Wow,

This is great. Very good debat without getting out of hand.

My question is...is it that hard to find out for yourself what works best?? I mean if you find an oil that you think you would like, what is it going to hurt to run a couple of tankfuls through it to see??

I mean, my xxxx Triumph ST calls for synthetic 15w50. Well my first oil change ran Delo 400. Who gives a crap about a warrenty?? Most times the darned thing will last about as long as the warrenty then crap out on you.

So my advice to you is to either stick with the factory crap if you are really worried about the warrenty. If you not, then use whatever you like. Simple as that!!

If you decide to use AIO or The Series 2000 please let us know how it works for you.

[ July 01, 2005, 09:28 PM: Message edited by: 59 Vetteman ]

This is very old so I'd like to get some updtaes from those that contributed.
This topic is always coming up in some form or another.

quote:

Originally posted by Gypsy:
This is very old so I'd like to get some updtaes from those that contributed.
This topic is always coming up in some form or another.

Well, FYI Amsoil does not have the AIO product anymore.

The recommended product for 2 stroke watercraft would be Interceptor which is designed to control carbon build up on Exhaust Power Valves.

AIO was replaced by HPI, which happens to be a pretty darn good tcw-3 oil that works very well for its intended application. I just completed a 100 hour test with it and was very impressed. I would not use it in a PWC though.

What about oil for a PWC that specifies TCW-3 oil? Mine has a 145 HP 1200cc non-power valve engine that runs at ~6700 RPM WOT. The HP/cc ratio is not much different from the SeaDoo 951 engine (~0.12 HP/cc Kawa vs. 0.14 HP/cc SeaDoo). Would it be better to stay with the recommended specification or switch to a low-ash formulation?

Also, just how much ash bearing additives are in a low-ash oil? IIRC, VOA's of Pennzoil Premium Plus oil showed a bit of Zinc, Phosphorous, Moly, and Calcium, and Mercury's Premium Plus oil (not sure if that one's TCW-3) had a ton of Moly. Would the amounts in a low-ash oil be significantly higher?

Blano is pushing Amsoil...the end is nigh.
wink.gif

TS

ps: The correct Amsoil product for all modern jetskis/PWC's is the Interceptor. The HPI oil is still find for first generation engines without exhaust power valves....

My opinion of Blanos credibility is sealed. He is obviously not an "Amsoil hater". He seems pretty objective.
I am disapointed with AMSOIL. They told me the old "AIO was good for my Rotax because the ash was so low it was almost ashless" It's replacment is obviously an outboard oil, not low ash like I needed. Apparently the new interceptor is low ash. I hope!!!!!!

The new HPI formulation does meet the air-cooled, API "TC" specification, as well as TC-W3. It will also provide very good performance in JASO FC applications. The JASO FC rated, Interceptor will provide even better performance, but at a 25% cost premium.

FWIW, I've had excellent long term (many hundreds of hours in the same motor), results using the older AIO formulation as a replacement for Yamalube....

Castrol is exceeding iso egd+, jaso-fc with a ashless dispersant in a few of their products, The same oils also exceed all tcw3 specs. (per patent search documentation)

The latest and greatest XPS (blended by castrol BTW) also uses an ashless dispersant. It's also 60-80% diester and polyol ester which somewhat explains the cost (per latest MSDS)

". It will also provide very good performance in JASO FC applications."
Care to prove this.
WleyE, I am aware that a few of the oil companies have ashless air cooled oil technology, but to my best knowledge none are on the market. XPS@ does use a ashless dispersent, but it also uses a low ash detergent. Most aircooled oils are formulated with both.

I would agree with this, in fact the original Series 2000 racing oil (TCR) was a high temp, ashless formulation (I'm currently running it my two Stihls @ 50:1). It morphed over 4-5 years into a low ash type product very similar to the Dominator.

The basestock/additive technology exists right now to do very high temp/ashless, but it's quite expensive.

The old series 2000 was upgraded to a low ash type for good reason. That stuff was murder on exhaust valves. Very dirty.
Current low ash ISO egd oils are pretty darn good for their intended application. Same goes for some of the better tcw3 oils. The problems start when misinformed people and MFG(Amsoil has been guilty of this) start reccomending their products for every application under the sun.
A good anology would be a HDEO that works great in a diesel truck would not work so well in a Lycoming aircraft engine. Two cycle oils are the same way. I dont care how much wiz/bang marketing is used its not realistic to expect one oil to work well in differant applications.

The c4 isnt a two stroke. its a four stroke that uses premix and also uses the piston down stroke to slightly supercharge the intake. It accomplishes this by using a unique set of reed valves.
These engines dont have that great of a reputation with the pro lanw care guys. I am not sure why.
I have never ran one, but IMO the Redmax Strato charged, Echo power boost Tornado, and Tanaka pure fire are all better designs that are less complicated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back