TCW3; more for cleaning, or UCL??

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the consensus on here, is TCW3 used more for fuel system cleaning (albeit NOT as effective as PEA compounds!), or for it's UCL properties (or 50/50)??!
21.gif

not going to directly comment but be careful.. too much additives you can love your engine to death.. or in this case spark plug deposits and worse running engine.

something like 1oz/10gallon shouldnt hurt anything.

Last edited:
I do not use it to clean anything. I use it to keep things from getting corroded. I have used it in my 4 stroke motorcycle and it kept the carb bowls immaculately clean. I also think it helps lube seals and gaskets in the fuel system. GM sending units have been know to get damaged by modern oxygenated fuels. I believe the TC oil helps keep the silver contacts from corroding.

I have done a lot of research and my own testing on TCW-3. My modest conclusions are that TCW-3 is more of a UCL but does have light cleaning ability. Adding TCW-3 to your fuel mostly helps to KEEP your fuel system and upper cylinder areas clean rather than to clean them heavily if they are already dirty. If you want a product to clean your fuel system (such as fuel rails and injectors), get a fuel system cleaner that has PEA such as chevron techron or redline SL1.
TCW-3 is a good product for keeping the fuel system clean, lubricated and corrosion free but keep in mind it is a maintainence additve only. It will not correct any mechanical issues or bigger problems requiring actual component repair. That being said, most people who try it for a while do notice smoother, quieter idle, a slight increase in power, and a very small increase in fuel economy.
The proper dose of 1 oz TCW-3 to 5 gallons of fuel seems to be just the right concentration to add some lubricity and cleaning properties to your fuel without causing any problems to sensors or cat converters. Under dosing TCW-3 gives little to no benefit and over dosing it can cause problems similar to your engine running too rich.
There will always be arguments on both sides of the TCW-3 as an additive topic. It is up to you to decide if it is worth adding or not. I hope this helps but as always, YMMV.

2 weeks ago i filled, mmo, and reset my Ampco lubricator. i checked it today, it was emt. one qt in 2 weeks, oops. and it DIDNT fowl the plugs. what think?

Having not used TCW-3 too much....I primarily just use MMO....but I have reason to believe TCW-3 is more of a UCL, than a cleaner....BUT, my theory is this:

Do a shock treatment with PEA (Chevron Techron Concentrate, etc....)

Then every tank thereafter use TCW-3....

A lubed fuel tank, "should" in theory be a "clean" tank....being that it "should" make it harder for dirt, varnish, etc...to 'cling' to a lubed fuel pump and innards....

My theory anyways
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back