TBN and TAN in ester oils, excellent info!

Hi,
saaber1 - Yes there are many "components" that can make up a lubricant's condemnation point via UOAs. The condemnation point can and most likely will be a three way compromise between the Component (engine, gearbox etc etc) Manufacturer's limits and the Oil Company's Engineer's limits. The third element is the end user's knowledge and experience based on the Trending information - and how comprehensive it is

IME Commercial operators who use UOAs as a maintenance management tool will very rarely condemn the lubricant on only one item (say Iron). They will usually take advice (or use their own trend data) and wait until a number of critical limits are reached (or are near) their established criteria. They will of course look for and typically investigate related WM spikes or items that may indicate cooling system or combustion issues

Knowing and understanding the metallurgy of the engine family is critical to ensuring the correct UOA interpretation - so is knowing and understanding the chemistry within the lubricant being used and how it acts over use and time

For the amateur interpreter there are many pitfalls. For instance in some Differentials 1000ppm Iron is a replace lube limit - 1500ppm Iron is the replace lube and monitor limit. In the same environment 120ppm and 250ppm Copper apply
In some engines fuel dilution is 2.5% in others 7%! Some engine have a 0.0% Soot limit - others have 3%. Some engines have a Lead limit of 10 and others 40!

IME the TBN and TAN factors are more important in little/spasmodically used components or when extending oil change intervals - if you are using the correct lubricant in the first place of course!

Esters in an overall sense are good dispersants and solvents - depending on the esters used of course! As I indicated previously this may skew the results in the initial UOAs after changing from say a mineral lubricant - until the lubricant containing the esters is well established

Single pass UOAs should be enjoyed by those with the time and money to "play" with them - that's fun. However IME when used as a measure to evaluate one lubricant against another (especially via wear metal uptake rate) - they at the best simply a vehicle for generating interesting conjecture!

saaber1 - As for Mobil 1 0W-40, shortly after I joined BITOG it became obvious that some purveyers of lubricants (in this case Amsoil's Tooslick in particular) had an aggressive campaign to discredit this product.
When asked to provide proof of failures and poor "in field" performance they were left wanting - they still are!
I have taken an interest in this because of my history with certain German engine manufacturers who use the product!
This lubricant passes the "stay in grade" requirements of the ACEA Test protocols - and more importantly thiose of the end user Manufacturers covering millions of their products for extended Warranty periods. My own Porsche has spent most of its life on M1 0W-40 and my Benz will live its life with me on it too!
On a recent visit to Germany in May I found that M1 0W-40 was universally applauded by Porsche users, Privateer racers and Dealers. After nearly a decade of use too!
And the retired MB Engineer I mentioned earlier who was seconded to ACEA during its foundation said that after many thousands of UOAs and VOAs he was convinced of the credibilty of the Manufacturer Approval process. I have been for many many years too

Many Oil Companies offer a 0W-40 lubricant today - and no doubt some of the technology used in these products is most probably sourced from EM

I have no Commercial relationship with any Oil Company!

Very very interesting Doug...
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary

Single pass UOAs should be enjoyed by those with the time and money to "play" with them - that's fun. However IME when used as a measure to evaluate one lubricant against another (especially via wear metal uptake rate) - they at the best simply a vehicle for generating interesting conjecture!

That is probably one of the most important things you have taught me.

Doug, regarding what you see as others efforts to discredit M1 0W40, do you think Terry Dyson was trying to discredit M1 0W40 in the above referenced post? I don't know the man but I haven't seen anything in his posts to suggest so but I could be wrong as I haven't read them all. Terry's post did actually sound a tad aggressive to me, but looking at Terry's other posts, it seems like that is just his "direct" way of posting.?

saaber1, I know you asked Doug the question, but I thought I would add my $0.02 on the Terry subject.

I speak with Terry a lot via e-mail and on his private blog and I find that is just the way he speaks. Those who are unfamiliar with him may take him the wrong way.

He is genuinely a great guy who strives for the best and is helpful in every way he can me.

He truly is "at your service" as he says in all of his communications.

Last edited:
Quote:
"All modern lubricants perform about the same - the correct viscosity is really the most important thing"

I really agree with this.

Great info Doug.

Originally Posted By: buster
Quote:
"All modern lubricants perform about the same - the correct viscosity is really the most important thing"

I really agree with this.

Great info Doug.

It's only us BITOGers that obsess over the small differences in an endless quest to one of two destinations; to find the best oil on the planet or to slowly grow rich by how much we save when buying oil!
wink.gif

Hi,
saaber1 - I will not try to discredit Terry's comments but he and I have had mutually satisfying passes on BITOG over past years

I didn't especially mean Terry but alas he has other lubricants to comment on and, perhaps promote

And of course we have many people with experience and knowledge - it is not all in the hands of one!
With UOAs for instance some people peruse tens maybe hundreds daily - they have expertise and knowledge. They may preside over millions of $$ of potential liability in this area too. Others cannot or do not have the ability, desire or need to articulate this information unfortunately

IME the only real test for lubricants is in the field - in the real World. In the hands of the end users! Over many many years and hundreds of millions of miles. An incorrect recommendation from the Manufacturers and they stand to lose millions under Warranty for such wrong decisions

This is especially so with Commercial users too who may have many millions tied up in engines! If the product doesn't cut the mustard it doesn't survive in the Market or in the Fleet

At a recent discussion with some Porsche Engineers the comment was made that they had not seen an engine Warranty claim related to Approved lubricants for many many years - one guy said never! Another said never for any lubricant with the correct viscosity!

So whilst I am a user of M1 0W-40 (since 2006) I did NOT defend the product on that platform. I just wanted those that make Claims of poor performance (of any product) to back them up

In the case of M1 0W-40 they have not been able to this - for nearly the last decade! In the meantime millions of miles are covered daily using this lubricant around the World - and no Warranty Claims no lubricant related engine failures, no piles of trashed engines at wreckers.............................
And they pour it in as Factory fill in ever increasing volumes - that tells the story - well for me at least

Last edited:
A great analogy is to think of a formulation like a partly filled balloon. Squeeze it in one place, and it's going to bulge somewhere else. If you push too hard on one property, it's going to hurt you somewhere else. Your best oils are those that are well balanced. Some will give up "something" a bit to gain somewhere else. An oil such as Redline is built for extremely high heat and load.

Most of the major's will give you state of the art additives. They have to be up with the latest OEM trends and specifications. You usually find the technology to trickle down to the smaller blenders over time. Amsoil prior to GF-4 was using Mg in their PCMO's. Less expensive additive. Royal Purple was too. Now, Amsoil is using an exactly similar additive package Mobil 1 was using years ago.

There is an important element to getting oils officially approved. The Ford specifications is very demanding. I would want to know for sure the oil met this spec. This is my skepticism of smaller oil blenders, that don't have the resources test and officially certify. I don't trust or think most of the small blenders are worth messing with. You are not gaining anything and only taking a risk IMO.

Most small blenders leverage the additive suppliers. Most oils are also more alike than different, that meet the same specifications. This does not mean that small companies can't make good oils. However it does leave some room for skepticism as to whether they truly meet all the required specs. What compromises are being made to be able to make some of the outrageous claims some of these oil companies make? Royal Purple is one example. They are still using Mg for their PCMO's.

I'm not trying to pick on the little guy, but there are just certain things some of them can't do due as well as the big guys. There are some exceptional oils from smaller companies, Redline and Amsoil being two of them. Overall though, there are not many more.

Doug, Cool, I just was curious if that post by Terry's should be looked at from a different perspective than factual such as having some hidden agenda.

...and no Warranty Claims no lubricant related engine failures, no piles of trashed engines at wreckers...

I agree and there are lots of pictures of very high mileage cars that have run M1 that look amazingly clean. It really does seem to excel at deposit control.

I only mentioned M1 0W40 in the context of determining whether that 15% "rule of thumb" from manufacturers is applicable. M1 0W40 is one of many 502 oils that shear in the VW/Audi 2.0 FSI based on the limited data we have. The lowest viscosity loss is 15% in about 10k miles and the highest is 22% in about 6k miles but that is based on only 7 UOAs. This viscosity loss is very similar to other 502 oils such as Syntec 5W40, except for GC which shows lower losses.

I can see how you might be on guard for people trying to discredit M1 based on your past interactions. I mention it as an example where we have evidence of it and other 502 oils shearing quickly in engines such as the 2.0 FSI and thus bringing up the question should the 15% viscosity loss "rule" be used.

Terry is a great guy. He has said some things though I never quite understood, and probably for a good reason. I think he was wrong though about Mobil 1 and the lack of solvency. Mobil 1 has some very polar base oils and cleans exceptionally well and keep and engine very clean. Part of it is the detergent system, the other part is the high solvent ester/AN base oils.

Originally Posted By: buster
...Redline and Amsoil being two of them. Overall though, there are not many more.

Hey Buster, what happened to that "speciality blenders lubricants" or whatever it was called? Was that Molakule? I saw several of Terry's posts that mentioned his as being the best.

Can we hire him to make an ultra-super-ester nuclear holacaust proof oil?
wink.gif

Molekule is one heck of a oil blender and knowledgeable guy. I've learned a lot from him over the years. He would always cut thru the hype and was up on all the latest additive technology. I miss his posts.

I tend to give Terry more credibility than others. That being said Doug’s experience is well worth listening to. I am cognizant of the [censored] matches of the past and how they effect current positioning. I am a big believer in specifications. Specifications and the integrity of their regulating bodies are what allow us the end users to ascertain the quality of the lubricants.

Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr
Specifications and the integrity of their regulating bodies are what allow us the end users to ascertain the quality of the lubricants.

What about that oil all the machines use in the terminator movies? It didn't meet any specifications. I want that oil!

Hi,
saaber1 - Typical viscosity condemnation points were/are a 40% increase or a 15% decrease from the VOA (or published data for Batch). This is why IMO Oil Company Labs are of great value in UOA activities

Some engine Manufacturers now publish an actual minimum number usually at 100C
For Porsche (non VW, DI engine families) I believe it was around 11.9cSt - it probably still is!

buster - As I have mentioned before on here I had a unique experience with HDEOs many years ago when working in the high Southern Alps of NZ. Four lubricant families were used as I recall - Caltex Delo, Castrol, Shell Rotella, Mobil-Delvac. There was a very clear difference in engine cleanliness within these lubricants working in exactly the same engine families (CAT, Komatsu, IH) doing the very same work 7/24. Temperatures ranged from around -30C to around +30C. Delvac maintained engines much cleaner than all the others. This saved lots in routine maintenance times and possibly in wear rates too at some points such as the valve train (measured by adjustment frequency)

The petrol engines I have seen opened up over the years that have been on Mobil products (including M1) always seem to be amazingly clean!

Second in line IME has always been Delo and Shell's lubricants

Sadly some of Castrol's products have never done too well!

So whatever, Mobil have had the correct formula for engine cleanliness for a very long time indeed

Last edited:
[snip]As to engine lubricants a retired MB Director with a responsibility for lubricant supply and quality said to me recently - "I never saw enything that convinced me that high proced synthetic performed better in our cars than any of the others on our Approval List"

Many race car engineers I spoke with at the Nurburgring in May said this (in a variety of ways) "All modern lubricants perform about the same - the correct viscosity is really the most important thing"

I agree with their remarks!

I assume that this director also didn't see anything that convinced him that 'high priced' synthetic performed worse? If so, what then is the big hangup with mfg approval?

IIRC, arnie topped off with y/b in terminator 2

Originally Posted By: saaber1
Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr
Specifications and the integrity of their regulating bodies are what allow us the end users to ascertain the quality of the lubricants.

What about that oil all the machines use in the terminator movies? It didn't meet any specifications. I want that oil!

Hi,
benjamming - The retired Director said that the performance of their Approved lubricants was very consistent regardless of Brand and that he saw no benefit from using high cost synthetic lubricants. In other words, following the OCIs and Approved lubricant List gave consistent performance

This individual worked in the area of specification, supply and quality control for OEM (FF and after market) lubricants. Quaity control included VOA and UOA processes of course. He made the point that the Manufacturer's Approvals processes came from a good base (ACEA) where he had been involved. The "in-house "Approvals were always designed around the engine designer's requirements and were the product of extensive field tests. I can confirm this having been so involved

That is really my experience too. High priced exotic lubricants are not very/usually cost effective for the average user (when compared to another Approved and cheaper product at recommended OCIs).
They may have some benefits at the extremes of temperature and if extended OCIs are to be conducted

There is no "....big hangup with mfg approval?" - your words.

IMO it is always best to use a Manufacturer Approved lubricant or if there is no List, then one that matches their prescribed specification. Others no doubt may disagree!

Last edited:
Back