Taurus transmission adventure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long story short my 03 Taurus transmission just died on the way home from work one evening. Torque convertor splines and pump shaft took a dump. Did not happen in a very safe place also. I had a used tc and transmission put in that is all the warranty would pay for. It was a 03 with 85 thousand. Mechanic said the splines looked good. Picked the car up yesterday and drove about 70 miles to run errands and when pulling in my driveway and putting the vehicle in park I promptly noticed a click click sound from under the hood. I opened the hood and the noise seems to be coming from the bell housing or where the motor and transmission meet. You press the accelerator and the ticking chirping sounds worse. When you put the car in gear it stops. The transmission shifts great and seems to be no issues there. It acts like there is something not right when the car is in park and the motor is running. I am no mechanic but the transmission is not operational as far as fluid flow or shafts turning so what in the linkage that is not engaged while in park would be causing this. Of course I have a trip planned back east over Thanksgiving break and all this happened. Oh by the way always purchase damage waiver when you rent a car. I had a Nissan Versa from Enterprise and after picking the daughter from b ball practice we hit a raccoon. They get big here in Michigan. It split the front bumper and tore away the splash guard from under the car. No charge to me but the coon did not fair so well.

Bring it back. Maybe one of the flexplate bolts is backing out.

Of course if this trans grenades maybe you'll get a better one.
wink.gif

Possibly a bent or uncentered flex plate or nut/bolt not tightened and hitting the bell housing. The transmission may have to be removed to fix the issue. Take it back to your mechanic and have him hear the sound.

I don't like automatic transmissions and a used one is a real bad idea imo. was the trans cooler flushed or replaced? I'm sure that's not why it's clicking but not flushing or replacing the cooler will destroy the replacement trans.

Yes everything was flushed. Warranty company would not replace only the torque convertor. I paid a 100 dollar bill deductible. If it runs a year after fixing the current issues that will be ok with me. The Taurus transmissions from what I am learning are very under built. Poor quality materials and undersized critical parts.

My parents had a Taurus of that vintage and it gave them nothing but transmission problems. Take it back ASAP and demand the problem is taken care of.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: eljefino
Bring it back. Maybe one of the flexplate bolts is backing out.

Of course if this trans grenades maybe you'll get a better one.
wink.gif

+2, sounds like a flex-plate issue. Unload that car asap and get something with a better reputation.

Update. Took the car back to the shop and of course the owner or any of his mechanics could not hear any noise from the bell housing area. They drove it and let it idle and so forth. Well I could hear it but they could not. With the transmission shifting well it did not seem I had anything more that could be done. I returned this past Friday from a 1200 mile round trip with the car operating perfectly. I can still hear the chirping at idle though not as bad. I have not a clue and hope the thing holds together. I worry about the flex plate and the engine crank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back